What's new

Military Decorations

Heres something many will remember, The Falkland Islands conflict; 1982.

I have 2 Flaklands Medals (not including the exceptionally rare Malvinas Argentine one.....).

proxy.php

One to a Steward on a Merchant ship and one to a Parachute Engineer, but the most amazing thing these medals had were photo's taken by the Steward onboard ship.... and on the shore:

Headquarters on the Island

proxy.php

The Globe Pub, which is still there... and an Exocet missile, like the one that sunk a few of our ships including the Galahad??

proxy.php

Proof that "interesting" souvenirs are nothing new to schoolkids and flicknives, these guys did it in style....

proxy.php

Just a bit of unused Ammo...

proxy.php

Some Napaplm, that was going to be used at Goose Green... and one of the planes the SAS blew up on the runway :thumbup:

proxy.php

Oh, and the big welcome home...

proxy.php

Quite possibly the most interesting group I have, because I have the mans memoirs of his days in the Trenches...

proxy.php

LG: "For Conspicuous Gallantry, and devotion to duty. When touch with the enemy had been temporarily lost, and other officers had become casualties, he took command, and it was mainly due to his courage and skilful dispositions, that that the rest of the battalion was extricated, and was enabled to be reformed, and to take up a position in the rear. In subsequent engagements he gave he gave a splendid example of energy and determinaion in every way and his work was beyond praise"

He was listed as KIA 4 times, eventually being invalided out because he was blown into a house by a shell which blew his front teeth and an eye out, (according to his memoirs he was more worried about his saville row uniform!! lol).

Below are some extracts from his memoirs, what a read they make, some of it left me with quite a tear in my eye....:

"The following are one or two recollections of the first battle of the Somme, in which I was wounded on July 20, 1916, which was when I was in a Public Schools Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, and before I was commisioned........
It started on July 1st, and there was tremendous fighting and very heavy casualties on both sides, necessitating fresh troops continually being brought in. Our division was in trenches covering Bethune. On July 12th we were entrained for Amiens, and gradually moved up into the fighting area through the shelling, which grew severe.

About the 17th our Brigade was to attack and break through the German lines: of three battalions, the first was to attack and capture the German trenches, the second was to follow and consolidate the position, and the third, of which I was a member, was to persue the retreating Germans. The British barrage was perhaps one of the heaviest of the war, and as we watched we pictured the German trenches and their occupants being completely demolished. The Germans, however, had unnusually deep and strong dugouts, filled with machine gunners, who poured a devastating fire on our men when the barrage lifted and they advanced. As I watched, they all went down like nine-pins. After a pause, the second battalion advanced, to receive exactly the same treatment. We watched with considerable concern as we knew we were next.

The next day some of us were positioned in a quarry up in the front...A friend and I excavated a sort of cave from the loose rock in which we sheltered... However I and another friend called Taylor (he was an old Burnley friend - we joined up together), were told to go forward and and make contact with an advanced observation post. As we were preparing to leave.... the valley was being heavily shelled and a badly wounded Artillery officer staggered in. He was obviously dying,.... we asked if we could do anything. His answer was, "No, except for a cup of water if you can spare it?" I remember wondering if I should be able to die with similar dignity. Taylor and I went forward through no-mans land. This area was not being shelled and was quite quiet, though the ground was so thickly covered with German and British dead we had to pick our way through very carefully. The Germans wore very elaborate helmets (probably Guardsmen), and we debated whether or not to take two as souvenirs, but didn't.....We completed our mission and returned to our quarry to find that part of the roof had fallen in. I thought the friend who I shared with had been meddling with it. He lay there covered with his mackintosh sheet. I thought he was asleep and felt like waking him up with a kick. I was glad I didn't, as he was dead. A shell had been deflected by a tree and had exploded in the mouth of a cave. I should have been killed if I hadn't been sent to contact our outpost."

In the early morning of the next day we attacked High Wood....I was ina shell hole with another man, who had a very painful wound, and it took me all my time to keep him from getting out on to the surface, which was swept by shell and Machine-gun fire and German Grenades. I administered all my private stock of morphine without effect.....I heard terrible screaming from the signalling seargent, who had come out of cover to signal back to stop our artillery firing on us. Close by was a big shell hole ... the sides of which were lined by about ten of our men. I got out of cover and went across to ask if one of them would help me get the wounded seargent under cover. The answer was, "sorry, old chap, they are all dead, except me, and I can't move from my waist downwards." I started off to do what I could on my own, but had only gone a few steps when there was a terrific explosion and I was thrown forward on to my face. My first thought was that I had been cut in two. Then I realised this couldn't be so, as I was still alive. I put my right hand round behind me and my thumb went in to a sticky mess. I thought if I lay here I'll die from loss of blood or stiffen out. So I staggered up and .... dragged myself to the next area, held by the Scot's battalion.... [He moved to the nearest aid station and then further back]... A German machine gunner opened up on me and one of his bullets entered one of my breast pockets, cutting a scar across my chest and xiting from my other pocket. I dropped into a shell hole, hoping he would think he had killed me......

March 1918;

In may of 1918, I was attached to the 2nd Btn of the 327 American Regiment to accustom them to our methods of communication.....The night before I left, I gave a party for the junior officiers, having been supplied by the nearest British Artillery Brigade with a generous quantity of drinks. It had not occurred to me that the Americans were "Dry"...[the evening] ended up in them getting hopelessly drunk, in which they went on parade the next morning....During this period I went on leave and was given the M.C. by King George.....

[this is later on further in to battle whilst serving with the Manchester's attached as Signalling officer].... French civillian refugees were being evacuated out of the town to a safer place. I was standing in a doorway wagtching them when a German plane came over and droped a bomb in front of me. Several pieces hit me, cutting four front teeth off at the gums and knocking me back in to the building, which fell on me. I was unconcious when they got me out, but I am told that I came to for a minute and said "Well! They've got me at last and spoilt a good tunic!" Later, I came round again for a minute at a first aid station, where the doctor informed me that I had lost my right eye. Awkward as usual I said that I hadn't and I could see through it....My mother and father came across from England on a duty destroyer and stopped several days, till I was out of danger, I suppose. I have never heard of this happening, but mrs Stewart who lived next door to me and who was in the War Office at the time said that in similar cases where it was practical it was done......

If anyone ever tells you a true English Gentleman is not eccentric, tell them they are lying.....

Action Man....

proxy.php

S992 Sjt J.P.Dobson MBE, DCM**, MM, ED: York & Lancs'

MM [Bravery in the Field]; 11/11/1916

Around this time the 9th Btn Y&L, I believe, were at the Somme.

DCM [Conspicuous Bravery]; 25/NOV/1916

Around this time the 9th Btn Y&L, I believe, were at the Somme.

S992 Sjt. J. P. Dobson, 9th Btn York & Lanc. R.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He organised and led a bombing party and repulsed an enemy counter-attack. He assumed command of his company, displaying great courage and initiative. Later, although wounded, he greatly assisted in repulsing an enemy bombing attack.

DCM 1st bar; 17/Apr/1917

Around this time the 9th Btn Y&L, I believe, were at Arras.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He consistantly did magnificient work throughout the operations. When a shell burst in the trench and buried two NCO's, he was the first to go to their assistance, and, under heavy fire, dug them out, thereby saving the life of one of them. His splendid example did much to reassure the men under very trying conditions.

DCM 2nd Bar; 19/NOV/1918

Around this time the 9th Btn Y&L, I believe, were at Piave/Sacile.

8992 C/S/M J.P.Dobson, DCM, MM , 9th Bn, Y&L Regt (Snaith) (ITALY)

For conspicuous gallantry and daring on the 30th-31st October 1918, in the Piave battle. He commanded a patrol in front of of our line, and in face of machine gun fire and rifle fire gained valuable information. On 31st October, during the attack on Sacile he led his men, under heavy fire from the houses, right down the main street, capturing it and taking many machine guns and prisoners.

Al Valore Militaire (Italy); 25/MAY/1917

MBE: 2nd June 1943;

Major John Pearson Dobson Y&L Regt'[/b]

Each bar denotes another award, in total this man had 5 Gallantry medals, the DCM was second to the VC for enlisted men, this man won one 3 times!!! and the Italians decorated him for Bravery too....

This is what it is all about, people reading and enjoying their story keeps their spirits alive forever..... 5 minutes ago, how many people knew about these guys, after you've read them, maybe another 50, if you chat with someone and mention them, as an interesting story or anecdote, some one else will remember them..... :D The more who do the greater their soul and memory will be kept alive....

Fascinating.
WW1 is basically a forgotten war in the United States.
What our Civil war was to our national memory,The great war is to the UK in my opinion.
My Grandfather was a Lt. 90th division/360 rgt and severely wounded at the Meuse Argonne.
I have and use his straight,he used in the trenches along with his Field glasses and a Luger taken as a battlefield pickup

Fascinating.
WW1 is basically a forgotten war in the United States.
What our Civil war was to our national memory,The great war is to the UK in my opinion.
My Grandfather was a Lt. 90th division/360 rgt and severely wounded at the Meuse Argonne.
I have and use his straight,he used in the trenches along with his Field glasses and a Luger taken as a battlefield pickup

Brilliant :D Now thats living history..... Wonder how often he shaved, wondering if there would be a gas attack or a german advance... :D Thanks :D

I agree with the forgotten bit, I think because you were involved (no offence intended guys..) a bit late... you never really developed the same view of it, it was for us a four year slog, with millions dead, a short hop across the channel, in fact where I am, they heard the artillery barrage at the somme, they were that close.... to you, you were many thousands of miles away and somewhat detached from it all..... perhaps a reason why the closeness of the civil war affected you so much more....

Tom

Tom

I also have 2 letters on "White Star" line stationary on his trip over back to family.
As a Officer ,he received priority shipping on the Olympic ,the sister ship to Titanic.
He had a lot of pictures and gas masks are consistently a part of the kit and he even mentioned on the back of them that they were a constant companion.
I was kind of suprised as I am sure he must have had access to a Gillette.
And I do agree with your observation on the Great Wars hold on your history versus ours.
The US was woefully ill equipped for any war.
The Service rifle that was carried by the large majority was a 1917 Enfield that
had originally been put in production to replace the SMLE.
Since the Remington factory was running at full capacity, the US had to make do and just rechamber from .303 to the US 30-06 and take what they could.
That is what my Grandfather carried via pictures.

We are very sympathathic to your response. We are grateful to you that his medal is in good hands. We are Mr & Mrs Beresford . We look forward to hearing from you.

Superb, at least you know it didn't get thrownout (as I have seen, people dumping full sets of medals in the bin.... disgraceful...) it may be sensible to remove your personal details from an open forum.... just for your safety, I have recorded them and will put them ready to go into the case next time I have the box in my hands...

Kindest Regards,
Tom

Last edited:
Superb, at least you know it didn't get thrownout (as I have seen, people dumping full sets of medals in the bin.... disgraceful...) it may be sensible to remove your personal details from an open forum.... just for your safety, I have recorded them and will put them ready to go into the case next time I have the box in my hands...

Kindest Regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom I will attempt to do so. Best wishes. Rob

KIA during the invasion of Saipan 1944. He was the brother of the Mother of my closest friend. She is 90 years old but still remembers him as the young Marine of 66 years ago. If you've never visited Arlington National Cemetery you can't fully appreciate the ultimate sacrifices so many have made.

Last edited:
J

jonleif

Thanks Tom I will attempt to do so. Best wishes. Rob

Hallo Fusionfan.

I have Charles Sleeth as skipper on following Grimsby trawlers.

Daniel Quare
Stafnes
Rinovia
Sletnes
Stockham
Andanes
Ross Searcher
Ross Hunter
Ross Kelvin

Do you know of other trawlers he was skipper on ????

Jonleif

As a military history buff, I think this is amazing work and a great way to keep the memories of those who served alive.

+1

remembrance matters.

I couldn't agree more!

what a great thing to do. An amazing thread, Tom.

+1

If you've never visited Arlington National Cemetery you can't fully appreciate the ultimate sacrifices so many have made.

Or any of the US military cemeteries either home or abroad for that matter. Seeing General Patton's grave marker standing at the front of a formation of thousands of fallen heroes at the Luxembourg American Military Cemetery will forever stand in my memories as a truly surreal moment.

A follow on..... I said in the other thread I research medals to keep the recipients alive, here's my favourite example of my hobby:

A while ago I purchased a single MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) and a certificate for a 1953 coronation medal from an antiques/house clearance shop (They'd come from the same place and were stuffed in an old cardboard box together). The guy said they had come from a house clearance locally and I paid about 50 quid for that and another MBE (female) with a newspaper cutting, a bargain even then.

Well they languished in my desk for a few years until I had the time to research them properly, and from the certificate I got the guys name (MBE's arn't named) and from there I found a citation for the MBE (unusual to say the least.......).

When I read his citation I wondered, how often did this guys MBE and Coronation medal get overlooked and plain ignored on parades, thinking it to be just another "good duty" one (MBE's are now handed out like sweets, and tbh have lost a lot of their meaning because of it)..... but in this case, how wrong could you be........ this MBE was awarded in lieu of a George Cross in 1940. (The George Cross is the Civillian version of the Victoria
Cross, the premier award for Gallantry you can get!)

Here's the guys details:

proxy.php

Charles Alfred Sleeth, Skipper of the steam trawler WARREN (172 tons) awarded the MBE in the LG 20 Jan 1942 (probably for an action c. 1 Aug 1940) for driving off an enemy air attack.

Citation reads:

The trawler was suddenly attacked by an enemy bomber. Fifield, who was already at the gun, was hit by machine-gun fire. Although bleeding profusely, he stayed at his gun, firing steadily. The Skipper meanwhile left the bridge to fetch rockets to warn other ships. By this time the gunner was weak from loss of blood and the Skipper took his place at the Lewis gun. It seems probable that while firing some 300 rounds, Fifield hit the enemy, as part of the fuselage was seen to fall. When at the gun, the Skipper succeeded in piercing the plane's under-carriage during a very close attack in which three more bombs only just missed the trawler, whose steering was damaged. After being hit in this last attack, the bomber flew away. Fifield showed unflinching bravery in standing to his gun when wounded and his rapid, and probably successful, fire shook the attacker. The Skipper set a fine example throughout, and when he in turn took over the gun, his fire undoubtedly drove off the enemy, enabling him to bring his ship safely home.

Makes you think more about the guys on parade wearing one or two hard earnt medals, and their dignified disposition.

I can add other groups if anyones interested in these "Boy's Own" adventures.

Tom
Hi
Charles Alfred Sleeth is my great uncle, I recently found mention of his MBE on the National Archives web site and am amazed to find your post. His father died at sea when he was 2 years old and his brother also died at sea on the trawler Vivanti in WWI looks like Charles had better luck. No idea how the MBE got to Canterbury as he lived in Grimsby although my branch of the family are from near Canterbury. Do you still have the MBE?

Madmax

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Hi
Charles Alfred Sleeth is my great uncle, I recently found mention of his MBE on the National Archives web site and am amazed to find your post. His father died at sea when he was 2 years old and his brother also died at sea on the trawler Vivanti in WWI looks like Charles had better luck. No idea how the MBE got to Canterbury as he lived in Grimsby although my branch of the family are from near Canterbury. Do you still have the MBE?

Madmax
Hi, welcome to Badger and Blade. I regret to inform you that the member you are addressing has not been seen on the forum in five years. Perhaps another member may have the means to contact him. Good luck. 👍

Top Bottom