What's new

Mid-priced Fountain pens

With the Binderized nib, I got it as the nib unit only so I forget what it run. Got a second pen through a Japanese seller on eBay. They have a model of VP with a steel nib for considerably less. It's an ok nib but not as smooth as the gold.

My two of my three 140s have come from eBay and either Poland or Czech Republic... One was super nice and polished. The other was a user grade. The prices reflected each.

The third I Frankensteined starting with a body and internals from a local pen shop. I ebayed the nib and found a cap from a restorer . The Frankensteined pen and the cheap pen are my favorites. The other I have e to a friend who loves the color green and xf nibs as a wedding present.

My eBay Pelikan experiences have been good ones. My Shaffer and Parker experiences, not so much.

i dont trust ebay much.
the risk of encountering a nut-sac who screws me is just too much to for me when i am dropping a few hundy on goods.
i would rather cough up an extra %10-20 and know that i will be looked after if it goes to custard, as opposed to getting a middle finger from a git on ebay.

Habe you looked at one of the edison production pens? Or a Bexley?

those do look interesting, but at the insultingly high prices and mediocre at best nibs they are not even worth a look as far as i am concerned. for a pen that expensive it should come with a hand smoothed and individually tailored gold nib as default, i also know where they get their nibs on, and they are not up to scratch, not at that price.

Edison's have a great reputation. The differences between steel and gold is a touch of flex. I don't think I've heard a bad thing spoken against Edison. They come in way under the Pelikan M1000 even with a gold nib. And there are models similar in size but still less expensive.

Edison's have a great reputation. The differences between steel and gold is a touch of flex. I don't think I've heard a bad thing spoken against Edison. They come in way under the Pelikan M1000 even with a gold nib. And there are models similar in size but still less expensive.

for me when i buy a pen that expensive it had better tick a number of boxes, from function to form. a Gold nib adds a level of luxury and decadence that makes the writing experience much more fulfilling even if it does not add any performance aspect. furthermore all their danm pens are is a machined barrel and cap from a block, a simple albeit time consuming process. i see little in their manufacture and design that can hope to justify their huge price and the lack of a gold nib just adds to my belief in this. i would rather stick to sailors, platniums or vintage, i feel these have the features and quality to easily justify their prices.

Top Bottom