What's new

Micron to Grit Graph

I made this a while ago when trying to figure out what I should buy for hones and such. Maybe someone else can find it useful also.
proxy.php

The data comes from HERE.

Halving the size of the grit doubles it's micron number, so I use a Log-Log graph to make it look linear.

Example, 120 grit is 120 micron, 1200 grit is 12 micron, 12,000 grit is 1.2 micron (roughly right?).

Does this answer your question?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Halving the size of the grit doubles it's micron number, so I use a Log-Log graph to make it look linear.

Example, 120 grit is 120 micron, 1200 grit is 12 micron, 12,000 grit is 1.2 micron (roughly right?).

Does this answer your question?

So it will be linear.

Perhaps it is easier to interpolate a given micron size vs. grit with a straight line.

Perhaps it is easier to interpolate a given micron size vs. grit with a straight line.

Yes you can interpolate, but the problem comes out to be that the "doubling one-halves the other" thing means it's a power law curve. Plus, if you look at the data points, they are not really too exact, but the overall trend on a log-log graph is pretty linear. If I plot it on a standard graph, the low end is completely useless, the middle range is all but useless, and the top end is ok, so you need lots of blow ups to make it work. This is the logical solution to graphing, but if you like, I linked to the data, and you can use that to get close on the numbers (just don't extrapolate!).
What I like about the graph is that I can see fairly accurately what different micron ratings would translate to in grit, so when someone says they have a 16,000 or 30,000 grit stone, I can see what micron paste may be it's equal.

Sweet geekery!!!

I have to agree!!! :001_smile

Looks like the largest deviance from the regression line is ~0.5u at ~10.5K. Who cares?
Oops. Sorry - doesn't look like a regresion after all. Just endpoint to endpoint I guess...

What I like about the graph is that I can see fairly accurately what different micron ratings would translate to in grit, so when someone says they have a 16,000 or 30,000 grit stone, I can see what micron paste may be it's equal.

But, then you have to account for things like the shape of the abrasive, how much is exposed by the binder, friability, etc.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This is useful for me to determine what spray I can use with what grit hone. Seeing that my 12000 nani is roughly more than a micron, anything less than that should be safe to spray on it.

Thx for the info!

This is useful for me to determine what spray I can use with what grit hone. Seeing that my 12000 nani is roughly more than a micron, anything less than that should be safe to spray on it.

Thx for the info!

I thought Naniwa uses JIS, which is different from grit (which itself is also different from the ANSI standard).

But, then you have to account for things like the shape of the abrasive, how much is exposed by the binder, friability, etc.

Not to mention the substrate that is used... These all come into play, so I guess I should have included the all important YMMV!

As for JIS vs. ANSI vs. American Standard Grit vs. Micron vs. whatever else... If you guys can find me a good source of data for them, I can whip out another graph (or two or three etc.) to show them in relation to each other.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I thought Naniwa uses JIS, which is different from grit (which itself is also different from the ANSI standard).

Meh, close enough( I think?). I'm spraying .05 micron diamond so I think a few Ks difference is fine...according to the graph around 500,000 grit!?

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Not to mention the substrate that is used... These all come into play, so I guess I should have included the all important YMMV!

As for JIS vs. ANSI vs. American Standard Grit vs. Micron vs. whatever else... If you guys can find me a good source of data for them, I can whip out another graph (or two or three etc.) to show them in relation to each other.

That would be great!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hell if I know. Because of how they're measured, it's somewhat challenging to actually compare them. And, none of the charts that I've seen go beyond 8000 JIS. I'm not even sure if the standard technically defines anything higher than that. For anything at or lower than 8000 JIS, this seems useful: http://members.cox.net/~yuzuha/jisgrits.html

Hmm sounds like it's an "ancient Chinese(Japanese) secret". I would bet grit ratings among Japanese manufacturers differ too, although that seems unJapanese.

Thx for that link btw.

Hmm sounds like it's an "ancient Chinese(Japanese) secret". I would bet grit ratings among Japanese manufacturers differ too, although that seems unJapanese.

Some Japanese manufacturers use the American grit system (different from ANSI/CAMI, which is what is used by Spyderco and slapped on as a "rating" for Arkansas stones) and some use JIS (new or old, although most likely new). Then, as I mentioned earlier, there are the questions about the binder used. So, in other words, "yes".

Top Bottom