What's new

Merkur Progress...what a glorious razor!!

I've been using my progress since 2012...it was love at first shave, right at the point where I didn't like any other razor and was about to go back to carts.

Then in mid-16, I got the Rockwell 6S and loved it!! It's the only other razor that remained in my den and I use it often. (Since then, I also added the variant as it's basically a progress clone but it's gone back to Parker for replacement due to an issue.)

In Aug-17, I was going away from home for 6+ months and decided to take the Rockwell as I don't like traveling with the merkur due to its sensitive moving parts.

Fast forward to today where I once again used the process after 7 long months and oh, what a glorious shave!!

The cutting angle of the progress is truly perfection! No other razor leaves my skin feeling as smooth as the progress. It's so gentle and intuitive.

The Rockwell I still love but I think the progress is my all time favorite razor and I doubt anything would replace it...except maybe another progress!!

Just got back my Mergress from Eric, Bull Goose. If you like the Progress, suggest you take a look at the Mergress conversion, well worth the money IMHO, an even better razor with the added weight.

Just got back my Mergress from Eric, Bull Goose. If you like the Progress, suggest you take a look at the Mergress conversion, well worth the money IMHO, an even better razor with the added weight.

I personally like the stock Progress knob.

It's a German thing. Look at older Porsche, Mercedes and BMW dashboards.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I've been using my progress since 2012...it was love at first shave, right at the point where I didn't like any other razor and was about to go back to carts.

Then in mid-16, I got the Rockwell 6S and loved it!! It's the only other razor that remained in my den and I use it often. (Since then, I also added the variant as it's basically a progress clone but it's gone back to Parker for replacement due to an issue.)

In Aug-17, I was going away from home for 6+ months and decided to take the Rockwell as I don't like traveling with the merkur due to its sensitive moving parts.

Fast forward to today where I once again used the process after 7 long months and oh, what a glorious shave!!

The cutting angle of the progress is truly perfection! No other razor leaves my skin feeling as smooth as the progress. It's so gentle and intuitive.

The Rockwell I still love but I think the progress is my all time favorite razor and I doubt anything would replace it...except maybe another progress!!
It's just another case of YMMV, I guess. I've owned a Progress for 8 or 10 years, and used it regularly for maybe a year, but it never became a favorite. Among other things, I find the head to be bulky and difficult to maneuver under my (admittedly prominent) nose. Mostly during that period I used a DE89, which I preferred to the Progress, but I kept trying other razors - looking for the one that was just right for me. And while I was initially put off by all of the seeming hype around the Rockwell razors, when the 6C was on sale for $40, I figured I had to give it a try. Since then, I haven't shaved with anything else. Never any irritation, nicks or cuts and always a quality shave with whatever blade I throw into it. So while I agree that the Progress is a quality razor, the only area in which I find it surpasses the 6C is adjustability on the fly. I never change settings between passes, but if that's something you want to do, it's inconvenient with the 6C, but a mere twist of the dial with the Progress.

I personally like the stock Progress knob.

It's a German thing. Look at older Porsche, Mercedes and BMW dashboards.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Never knew that, very interesting to see the similarity. Wonder how those old cars would look after a "Mergress" treatment?

I too have never understood those who disdain the Bakelite (?) knob on the Merkur Progress. I think it's cool and attractive.

I too dearly love my Progress. I only wish traditional German engineering and workmanship would kick in, and the factory calibration of the Progress would be more consistent. That is not an unreasonable request.

I have never met an adjustable safety razor that I DID NOT LOVE PASSIONATELY. I don't know why God gave men whiskers, but I do know God has blessed mankind with the Fat Boy, Slim, Super Adjustable, Progress, and Mikron razors. I have 'em all, and I can't decided on a preference.

Similar to my children, I love 'em all!

I have a mergress that is a mainstay in my rotation. 3 on the first pass and 2 to 2-1/2 next two gives me a great shave. I’ve owned it about 8 years. If you like a heavy razor, this one has great balance and weight.

Progress indeed is a very nice shaver, really smooth.
Chances are pretty much everyone can find the setting they'd be happy with.

I personally feel the knob cheapens it a bit, not a fan of it.

Are your Progresses recent models? I've tried to order one twice in sixth months and both times the blade would not align correctly. It's a shame because I love the simplicity of its design and I hear about such great shaves

Are your Progresses recent models? I've tried to order one twice in sixth months and both times the blade would not align correctly. It's a shame because I love the simplicity of its design and I hear about such great shaves

I'm assuming you do know about the "notch" issue, with top cap only fitting "certain way", that is you cannot position it any way you want but it has the sides ?

I purchased 2 recently as a presents for different people, and have not heard back about any alignment issues.

I'm assuming you do know about the "notch" issue, with top cap only fitting "certain way", that is you cannot position it any way you want but it has the sides ?

I purchased 2 recently as a presents for different people, and have not heard back about any alignment issues.

Yeah it's not the notch issue asp much as I end up with a slightly slanted blade. It's nothing like some of the Fatips I've seen, but enough where I didn't feel comfortable using it after dropping $70 on the razor

The Merkur Progress molds were renewed mid-2016.

You can tell if your shaver is from the new molds by the alignment marks. The new mold alignment marks are very small and almost hard to see. Search the Internet and you'll see the old alignment marks which are quite large and very visible.

God has blessed mankind with the Fat Boy, Slim, Super Adjustable, Progress, and Mikron razors. I have 'em all, and I can't decided on a preference.

Nice, & I'll add the Parker Variant as well to that list!! I too love all my adjustables (6 total) with the Slim & Variant at the head of the pack, Futur clone at the tail, but all very excellent.

66CAF875-9F0E-42CC-801C-BC2ED72F12B3.jpeg
Had a Mergress and sold it when I got my NOS Progress but I haven’t been able to get myself to use it. It’s to pretty lol

I got some nice shaves with my Mergress but not as good as with my Vintage Gibbs #17 adjustable.

I happen to like the cream colored twist knob.

Good timing on this post as I picked one up at the local shave shop a couple of days ago so I could compare it to my trusty old Slim, and a Rockwell when I get one of those to try. :)
It’s a beautiful design for sure, and I love the ivory knob and fluted handle with its classic Art Deco vibe.

Top Bottom