What's new

Merkur HD - not too thrilled with it

My intitial reaction was when I first got my 34C that this is an aggressive razor. Why I wasted almost 40 euro with shipping costs to get this beast?

I have since learned to use and like it. Listen to the cutting sound. The original poster was used with Fatboy so he is not a newbie I think to DE's like I was. Perhaps Feather blade was too much for him with HD. I still am not totally comfortable with that blade to not get a bit too much skin shaving and a little irritation compared to the Gilletter Platinum blade.

Mozarts blade angle thread was an appreciated revelation to me how to use Merkur HD.

Its all technique. I recently got a slant and it was great from the first shave. I switch weekly between Gilettes, Murkurs and Schicks.:lol:

I shaved again with the HD this morning and am kind of annoyed by the skipping and rubbing by the head on the HD. I am going to soak it in hot water and lather and let it sit for a while to see if that speeds the process up.

I may never shave with the HD again...Or I may modify the head and have it re chromed. The problem is this....The head is designed in a way that it sticks to my face. It is NOT the blade or the angle at which it is held. The ultra smooth surface of the top is actually sticking. I wont say its not partially due to bad technique BUT no other razor I have will do this. I have when the problem occurred, stopped and grabbed another razor to try to figure out the problem. The other razor worked fine. Switch back to the HD and we get sticking again. It seems to be the worst when I have cleaned my face with soap before shaving vs a rinse. Right now my satin Futur works like a charm and my HD gets used when I feel sorry for it.

Top Bottom