What's new

Merkur 39c

Have only been a member a few months and have been hearing so many different stories about so many different DE razor. I have used a Futur for about 6 months and wanted to try a few others. I got my chance today.
My Merkur 39c came in the mail today a long with some soaps I had ordered.
Got started using MamaBear's Soap Old Fashioned Barbershop soap and put a Red Persona in my newest razor.
I found one of the smoothest shaves I have ever had. I shave in the shower and the 39c gave one of the best shaves in my life. Not one nick, weeper, or any other problems. No skin irritation whatsoever.
Looking forward to using this again and some of the soaps i got from MamaBear's.
I really do not see why this razor has been given such a bad reputation by so many people.

I really do not see why this razor has been given such a bad reputation by so many people.

Huh?

The 39C has a GREAT reputation around here. Mine gives me the closest, easiest shave of anything I've ever tried. I use Feather blades in my 39C, and it delivers BBS in 2.5 passes every time.

My only regret is that I wish I could use it more often. It does its best work with a 3+ day stubble, so its not suitable for everyday use. If it was, I wouldn't need anything else.

The 39C has a reputation that it is NOT a beginner's razor, and for good reason. There is a learning curve involved, but its not difficult. IMHO, The most important reason it shouldn't be used by a newbie is because you have to spend several months with a GOOD razor (Fatboy, Tech, 34C, etc) before you can appreciate a GREAT razor like the SlantHammer. You can't buy Quality, you have to grow into it.

Huh?

My only regret is that I wish I could use it more often. It does its best work with a 3+ day stubble, so its not suitable for everyday use. If it was, I wouldn't need anything else.

Hmmmm.... I have been using my less than one week old Slant as an everyday razor, and I am only getting so-so results. Maybe I will put it away until I have a day or two's worth of extra stubble before I try it again (although, since I shave everyday, that might be a problem).

Interesting food for thought.

Hmmmm.... I have been using my less than one week old Slant as an everyday razor, and I am only getting so-so results. Maybe I will put it away until I have a day or two's worth of extra stubble before I try it again (although, since I shave everyday, that might be a problem).

Interesting food for thought.

I keep a 34G+Astra handy for day-to-day shaving. I also have a Futur that I'm still tweaking to find the right blade and adjustment combo, but it seems well suited for daily use as well.

My job doesn't require precise grooming, so many days I skip shaving. My last shave was Saturday night, so I had 4 days worth of stubble to work with. I used my SlantHammer today and it did a marvelous job.

I can't say that you will get the same results I do, but try it and see what happens. Use a milder razor like the HD, SuperSpeed or Tech for daily shaving, and reserve the 39C for the really tough jobs like the Monday morning shave after you've taken the weekend off.

Well, I received my slant (a Sledgehammer) two ) just in the mail two days ago, just in time to take to a conference. Yesterday was my first slant shave, and it was quite good for a first attempt. The day before, was one of my closest shaves ever, so there was not much stubble to remove. First two passes (with and against the grain) went well. Only three tiny nicks.

Blade buffing, however produced another nine. Oh well. No real blood at all, though. All in all, a superb shave. I al looking forward to getting better.

I know I've heard some gentlemen on this board reference blade buffing with a slant. However, I cannot use that technique successfully with mine. Good luck, sounds as if your determined to make it work

I find the Slant (37C) to be very effective yet gentle. I get much less irritation and it is very smooth with Red Personna. The 39C is heavier so I am assuming it might be a little more aggressive. I don't find the 34C or 37C to be aggressive though, they both give me good shaves, but the Slant is more effective and gives a slightly closer shave. Two weeks ago I tried a couple of SE razors, man this is what I call aggressive. :lol:

Top Bottom