What's new

Merkur 38C vs. Gillette New open comb

So I've been using a DE for about a month now. I know my technique isn't perfect, but I've been doing pretty good with my Merkur 38C that I bought with my starter kit.

I recently bought a Gillette New on that auction site (you may have heard of it...) and used it yesterday and today to shave. Oh my... My technique is obviously not where it needs to be. While the shaves haven't been horrible, I've definitely had more weepers and irritation using the New.

So I've got a couple of questions for the vets here:
1. Is the Merkur just that forgiving that my technique can be off and it doesn't really affect my shave?
2. Is it better to continue to use the New to improve my technique as it's more obvious where I'm struggling with the New than with the Merkur (in terms of irritation and where I'm cutting myself)?

A little more context for question #2... neither the irritation nor the cuts are severe - just more severe than when I use the Merkur.

Thanks in advance!

The New is a rather aggressive razor, more so than an Old (or a Merkur 38C). Needs a light hand, no pressure. Weepers and irritation point at using too much pressure. So yes, bit more practice is needed here. (FWIW: I am not a vet, but another noob. Just love aggressive razors).

Last edited:
The New is a rather aggressive razor, more so than an Old (or a Merkur 38C). Needs a light hand, no pressure. Weepers and irritation point at using too much pressure. So yes, bit more practice is needed here. (FWIW: I am not a vet, but another noob. Just love aggressive razors).

Now most people say that the NEW isn't as aggressive as the Old Type,
but I find it to be more blade sensitive then most razors.
Try different blades with the NEW and you will be rewarded.

Now most people say that the NEW isn't as aggressive as the Old Type, but I find it to be more blade sensitive then most razors. Try different blades with the NEW and you will be rewarded.

But to me an Old is not aggressive? Hope to try a New soon. An Old shaves as close as a Feather ASR. If it was aggressive, it should have shaved closer IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Wil. I'll try again tomorrow with much less pressure.

Found I do have a New. Was my first Gillette. I got it by "accident". Bid on it and was the only one... I have just done a quick first pass with a Treet Durasharp HiTech. Shave was good, but I could not tell if the New was closer than an Old. Will try more passes tomorrow.

The NEW is finnicky on blade and angle. Basically, the sharper the better for the blade and use a much flatter angle than you would use with the 38c. Per the original instructions, if you want a little more closeness, unscrew the razor 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn on the last pass.

I had a ton of trouble when I first used a NEW, but now it is a top shaver. My standard blade is either a Shark or an Iridium.

Found I do have a New. Was my first Gillette. I got it by "accident". Bid on it and was the only one... I have just done a quick first pass with a Treet Durasharp HiTech. Shave was good, but I could not tell if the New was closer than an Old. Will try more passes tomorrow.

Well, I have a second New now ("Gold", long teeth), and gave that a spin. Nice 2-pass shave with a Treet Durasharp HiTech, but not really closer then my oldies. But, a very good razor.

How are you doing with the New now?

Top Bottom