What's new

Merkur 34C blade alignment issues

Is it me or does the Merkur HD have a serious blade alignment problem?
The blade exposure isn't even on both sides, you can see it as clearly as day just looking at the razor, and feel it on the skin too.
BTW, do all the other Merkur models have the same problem or is it just the HD because it's not a 3 piece razor?

Last edited:
Wierd, ive had a 34hd a 37 and 39 slant never alignment problem. Every once in a while i would have to loosen and straighten the blade in a slant!! They are all 2 pieces

My 11c and three pc. 25c (OC) both set up with the blade in nearly perfect alignment every time, although my 37c (slant bar) needs a little coaxing to align perfectly.

The head to blade alignment is determined by the head geometry, not the handle design, so if yours doesn't like to let the blade sit square in the head then it's likely the top plate wasn't correctly finished... is the problem on both sides or just one?

There was a thread a few months back where the OP took pictures of a razor that had uneven blade exposure and it was obvious from the pics that the top plate had been ground down too far on one side exposing more of the blade where the irregularity was.

There was a thread a few months back where the OP took pictures of a razor that had uneven blade exposure and it was obvious from the pics that the top plate had been ground down too far on one side exposing more of the blade where the irregularity was.

That would be interesting to see.

Merkurs are famous for blade alignment issues. I find that if I squeeze the two pieces of the head together (I have several Merkurs) while tightening the handle, the problem is minimal or disappears totally.

Wierd, ive had a 34hd a 37 and 39 slant never alignment problem. Every once in a while i would have to loosen and straighten the blade in a slant!! They are all 2 pieces
I think they are pretty hit or miss on the quality control. I've also owned 34hd, 37c, and 39c and the all had blade alignment issues. Although the 37 which I still own is better than the other two were. It's really not a big deal though just pull up on the tabs of the blade while tightening the head down and it usually will seat correctly.

The alignment on my 34C requires a bit of tweaking, but the 30 seconds it takes to get it right is worht it.
This is my daily shaver 90% of the time.

> I think they are pretty hit or miss on the quality control.

+1.

I bought a Merkur 23C through Amazon and the blade alignment was horribly inconsistent, so I sent it back for a refund.

Bought a 33C off the B&B BST, and it is much better, although still nowhere near the perfect-every-time alignment of my EJ DE89BA11.

Is it me or does the Merkur HD have a serious blade alignment problem?
The blade exposure isn't even on both sides, you can see it as clearly as day just looking at the razor, and feel it on the skin too.
BTW, do all the other Merkur models have the same problem or is it just the HD because it's not a 3 piece razor?
I had a similar experience with a 45 Bakelite model:
proxy.php

proxy.php

There was another problem with the top cap that was not finished straight and was convex, making the blade curved on the bottom plate. The shave would have been awful...
If I fiddled with it long enough I could get the blade properly aligned. Never used this razor and sent it back to vendor. Cost me $8.60 to hold a Merkur 45 Bakelite in my hands and make two trips from and to the post office. Merkur is expensive...

> I think they are pretty hit or miss on the quality control.

+1.

I bought a Merkur 23C through Amazon and the blade alignment was horribly inconsistent, so I sent it back for a refund.

Bought a 33C off the B&B BST, and it is much better, although still nowhere near the perfect-every-time alignment of my EJ DE89BA11.
Just curious cubfanbob, when you got your refund, was the return postage included? Did you have to cover the return postage yourself ?

On another note, I have and use Merkur 33C and 25C. Both are excellent in fit and finish. The 25C has a beautiful top cap and could not find any flaws in finish.
Both shave very well and never had any issue.

> Just curious cubfanbob, when you got your refund, was the return postage included? Did you have to cover the return postage yourself ?

Since I bought through amazon.com, the return shipping was free via UPS.

Wow, these Bakelite photos are scary. How can anyone produce such a razor and dare selling it?
I'd strap the guy responsible for it to a chair and give him a shave with this razor. And then gouge his eyes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "slanted" bakelite razor.
I lost a fair bit on return postage this year and I am ready to make some changes in the way I deal with online stores.
The scary part is that since I return all the defective items this particular razor (if not returned by the vendor back to Merkur) is still out there. This was my fourth razor with problems from the same vendor, so I am done shopping for hardware at that store.

I have a 37c. I have ordered a 34c from traditionalshaving.co.uk, and it's on its way to me. In another shaving forum, we have discussed the alignment issues of merkur and I said that all the merkur I had ever had had alignment problems, including futur. I was almost been crucified by merkur fans :) (Joke, but they didn't like my argument) . May God be pleased with the designers of EJ89 and Mühle R89.
Best Regards

@ Gamad; did you try to rotate the top part 180 degrees? Sometimes this improves it a lot but won't make it disappear.

Non of my Merkurs (25C,33C,37G) are really even but they are all usable. It pops up with Merkur every couple of months and they are the only razors in my collection that have the issue; Mühle, Fatip, EJ, Gillette, Lord and even some supercheap 'brandless' razors do not have that problem.

Top Bottom