What's new

Merengue lather

Hi Joel,
I did not want to hijack your Wee Scott thread but I have a question regarding your comment on the merengue like lather. I have seen other pics you have posted and wondered how the heck you were achieving it.

I am using a Vulfix #2234 and I pretty much am getting the same lather that you are showing on the head of the Wee Scott. Not unacceptable in the slightest but not as creamy as I would like. I've tried more cream, less cream, more water, less water, more time spent whipping it up, etc. Is the bigger brush necessary for the better lather?
Thanks,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
Hi Joel,
I did not want to hijack your Wee Scott thread but I have a question regarding your comment on the merengue like lather. I have seen other pics you have posted and wondered how the heck you were achieving it.

I am using a Vulfix #2234 and I pretty much am getting the same lather that you are showing on the head of the Wee Scott. Not unacceptable in the slightest but not as creamy as I would like. I've tried more cream, less cream, more water, less water, more time spent whipping it up, etc. Is the bigger brush necessary for the better lather?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
The two best tools for you would be to look at THIS thread, and purchase the B&B DVD. In the B&B DVD, not only do I show the "hot pot" method in action, but I also lather glycerin, triple milled, and tallow based soaps with very small brushes - and get near identical results to my "large" brushes. In fact one of the brushes used is a Vulfix #374 - which I believe is even smaller than your current brush. You can try the "hot pot" method with just very hot tap water as well if you so desire, but try checking out the post referenced above, and if that doesn't immediatly make a difference - you might want to think about trying bottled water once (to rule out your water being the culprit) and/or picking up the B&B DVD. Your brush is not the problem - and should serve you just fine :smile:

Jeff, for meringue-like lather (not merengue, since we aren't talking about dancing :wink: ), you can use any brush. If you post some details about what you do and what products you use, we can try and help you out.

Scotto,
You don't dance while you shave? My spelling, vocabulary and grammar in general have deteriorated marketdly since I left college. It may be time to go back for a graduate degree.

I have been using Taylor's in tubs and Trumpers, C&E and DR Harris creams in tubes. I get pretty much the same results with all of them but the DR Harris Arlington. For whatever reason I cannot get a good lather with this to save my life. Too bad, it's a great scent.

Anyway, upon exiting the shower I fill a large latte mug with hot tap water and soak the brush for ~60 seconds. I then take the brush out and let it sit on it's handle for ~30 seconds until the water stops dripping out. Meanwhile I empty the bowl and put a kidney bean sized glob of cream in the bottom. I then introduce the brush and whip/pump for ~60 more seconds. I invariably have to add more water throughout the whipping process. As I said, the lather is pretty good, just not luxurious.
Thanks,
Jeff

Hmmm. You should be able to get really good lather with those creams. Perhaps your definition of "good" would be helpful.

Anyway, try leaving your brush to soak while you are in the in the shower. Give those bristles plenty of time to soak up water. The turn it upside down (bristles down, handle up) to let the water drain out. Give it a shake or two to get excess water out, then hit the bowl. You should get super-thick lather that may need a drop or two of water to thin out to your favorite consistency. Err on the side of too much cream for a while.

If that isn't working, there are less obvious things to explore - your water hardness, brush cleaning, etc. Let us know how it goes.

My definition of "good" is the lather on Joel's Wee Scott brush in the other thread. "Great" would be the lather on the Vulfix in the thread linked to this post in this thread.

I've considered water hardness before. The more I think about it the more this seems likely. We have awful water; and despite a water softener it is quite hard. I'll try a bottle and the hot pot (independently).
Much obliged Sirs,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
My definition of "good" is the lather on Joel's Wee Scott brush in the other thread. "Great" would be the lather on the Vulfix in the thread linked to this post in this thread.

I've considered water hardness before. The more I think about it the more this seems likely. We have awful water; and despite a water softener it is quite hard. I'll try a bottle and the hot pot (independently).
Much obliged Sirs,
Jeff

Be sure to use a bottle of "distilled" water, not just water bottled for drinking.

Randy

Sometimes a tad of table salt can overcome the hardness factor. It really depends upon which minerals you have emanating from the tap.

Ron,

Interesting suggestion, the salt. Would I add it to the water in the sink or into the scuttle?

Then again, I probably won't go through with it. Even without the bleeding cuts, I know there are microscopic cuts and adding salt the water would be like, well, adding salt to my wounds!

NYLaw said:
Ron,

Interesting suggestion, the salt. Would I add it to the water in the sink or into the scuttle?

Then again, I probably won't go through with it. Even without the bleeding cuts, I know there are microscopic cuts and adding salt the water would be like, well, adding salt to my wounds!
Ben,
It would be in the water you use to build the lather, not the water you use to rinse. I ASS_U_ME you soak your brush in water (maintain some level of that water) and then either a squib [(s)nurdle] of cream, a dip and twist of cream, or protolather-building swirls across the top of a cake of shaving soap.. That is the water you wish to soften..

Gotcha... Yep, I soak the brush in super-hot water before doing anything else. It's the first thing I do after waking up: pump up the hot water and let the brush soak while doing other morning things (shower, etc.). From what I've read here, it's a common thing that guys do to let the bristles soften and heat up.

Before trying the salt, I think I may try bottled/filtered water first for a few shaves. See if I notice a difference.

NYLaw said:
Gotcha... Yep, I soak the brush in super-hot water before doing anything else. It's the first thing I do after waking up: pump up the hot water and let the brush soak while doing other morning things (shower, etc.). From what I've read here, it's a common thing that guys do to let the bristles soften and heat up.

Before trying the salt, I think I may try bottled/filtered water first for a few shaves. See if I notice a difference.
Assure that it is demineralized or you could end up just wasting money and time. Another word of warning, do NOT use hot water in excess of 170 degrees fahrenheit. Under some circumstances, I have found 170 to cause some shedding. The 190 degree fahrenheit sterilizing temp is for unknotted, unprocessed hair.

Ron- the temp of my hot water is not something that I ever thought to check, but it is from the tap... I'm not sure how hight I have my hot-water-heater set at... I guess I should check that!!!

(I always "***-u-me"d that temp is only an issue for those fellows who boil or heat their water on a stovetop rather than using the hot tap.)

NYLaw said:
Ron- the temp of my hot water is not something that I ever thought to check, but it is from the tap... I'm not sure how hight I have my hot-water-heater set at... I guess I should check that!!!

(I always "***-u-me"d that temp is only an issue for those fellows who boil or heat their water on a stovetop rather than using the hot tap.)
Pretty much the case Ben. But a little caution is always reasonable when you spend $100 or more for a brush. Or for that matter, anything over $10..:001_rolle

Top Bottom