What's new

Medicine cabinet with blade disposal slot

I grew up with a blade slot in the medicine cabinet that my Dad used. Didn't think a thing about it. It was "normal". I'd do it but don't have a medicine cabinet.

We put a NOS cabinet in our cabin in the great white north and it was old enough to have a blade slot too :yesnod:

Keep an eye out. NOS cabinets with blade slots are still around.

I figured we had a bathroom sink from the turn of the century (cobalt blue enameled steel that was in the 1 room cabin we bought and re-purposed) so I wanted an OLD cabinet with a blade slot too. We found 2 kitchen sinks when we started digging around after buying the cabin back 25+ years ago. The white enameled steel one with the drain board got re-purposed in the new kitchen and the older cobalt blue sink with the tall back splash got re-purposed into the bathroom.

The Shave Cathedral I built in this house does not have a medicine cabinet but I have 5 bathrooms and each of the other 4 has a cabinet with a blade slot so I am set for the rest of my life as far as safe disposal goes

proxy.php

Last edited:
Somehow I have a better feeling about using my cheap blade bank that was improvised from a can of beef broth. In the 1950s there was still no such thing as an environmental movement, and recycling was exclusively the stuff of bulk scrap dealers. People thought nothing of disposing of expended things so someplace out of sight. Whether the wall would ever be torn out, and all those old blades dealt with, was a problem for future generations.

none of the blade cavities in my home will be disturbed until the dozers and claws take it apart.

My home is in the central part of town on almost an acre. When I die and the house gets sold it will be pushed over and something new will be built here.

I think the blades in the wall are the least of the environmental issues when this structure comes down. I have over 2.5 tons of copper on the roof that will be salvaged so I doubt anyone will worry about the couple pounds of steel in the walls

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This was a popular practice for decades and decades.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm shocked at the massive number of news stories popping up about people being harmed in one way or another by blades dumped in a wall cavity.

Last edited:
As Toothpick mentioned, I made my own. I describe it in detail in the Contributors Corner forum, but feel free to ask me if you have questions.

$IMG_0140.jpg

We put a NOS cabinet in our cabin in the great white north and it was old enough to have a blade slot too :yesnod:

Keep an eye out. NOS cabinets with blade slots are still around.

I figured we had a bathroom sink from the turn of the century (cobalt blue enameled steel that was in the 1 room cabin we bought and re-purposed) so I wanted an OLD cabinet with a blade slot too. We found 2 kitchen sinks when we started digging around after buying the cabin back 25+ years ago. The white enameled steel one with the drain board got re-purposed in the new kitchen and the older cobalt blue sink with the tall back splash got re-purposed into the bathroom.

The Shave Cathedral I built in this house does not have a medicine cabinet but I have 5 bathrooms and each of the other 4 has a cabinet with a blade slot so I am set for the rest of my life as far as safe disposal goes

proxy.php

Awesome Shave Cathedral!

I like the slot in the cabinet. Unfortunately my placed was built in the mid-70's, so no slot. Don't think I'm getting permission to cut any holes in the wall either.

As for the environmental aspect, it's not like it is really that much metal that could be recycled. Nor is it always an option. I checked for my county. Blades would be handled same as needles. We have no recycle options. Instructions are to put in a liquid detergent bottle or coffee can, tape down securely and toss in the trash. Might be better off in the walls. Maybe in a couple decades by the time the wall gets knocked down there will be an actual way to recycle them.

For now, it's a blade bank that when full gets taped up and tossed in the trash.

I just though of the Business 3 blocks away that sells cabinets , doors and other things salvaged from homes and buisinesses that are getting torn down or remodeled. Now I'll have to go see if they have one. I drive past them all the time and never give them a thought.
I stop in the store this afternoon and they had three cabinets with the slots.

This bathroom is getting renovated in the next two years. Probably won't pull the wall down (unless for some reason I have to) but I'll remove the cabinet and keep it. It will be going into my retirement home.

Top Bottom