What's new

Mechanic won't let me have my car back

Seven weeks ago I took my car to a local mechanic for a new intake manifold. After six weeks he finally got the replacement manifold on, but he isn't satisfied with the way it runs. It overheats now, which it wasn't doing when it went into his shop. At this point I want to get my car back from him and take it to another shop that can complete the work in a timely manner, but he won't let me have it back. I'm not opposed to throwing money at him for what work he did do, but he's adamant about not giving it back until he has dealt with the overheating.

I have an e-mail in to an attorney in hopes of finding a way to get the mechanic to return my car. I thought I would check here for any creative ideas to apply some leverage.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
leverage? I don't see why you would need any leverage. Unless you are bound to his work by a contract or something.

Request that he bill you for the work he did, pay him and take your car. Otherwise go to his shop and once he refuses to give your property back call the cops. They will likely say something about a civil thing but still, who want's to deal with cops at their business.

The problems I am facing are:
1) I'm dealing with a 60 year old high school drop out that feels he is in the right. Reason may not apply in this situation.
2) The mechanic has the car physically secured inside his shop compound. I'm pretty sure the sherifff would take a dim view of my crashing through the gate.
3) He has the keys, so even if I use my spare set to somehow drive the car away there will be a really angry, crazed guy with another set of keys.

My attorney just called back and confirmed that as long as I'm paid up for the work that was agreed upon and completed the mechanic doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Thus the door is open to sicking the sheriff on him on him if he continues to refuse to return my vehicle.

How can a mechanic be a highschool drop out ? Do your techs there not have to be certified ? Here all liscenced mechanics have to go to college

Not sure about your laws but if yours are similar whatever you do don't take your car until you pay him, I'd say go in amd be adiment back about paying and leaving and don't take no for an answer, let him ramble about how he's gonna fix it and everythings okay... don't respond (as I'm sure you've been down that road several times already) then just reply "my bill and keys please" don't be mean or rude but be strict enough he understands time is up

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
How can a mechanic be a highschool drop out ? Do your techs there not have to be certified ? Here all liscenced mechanics have to go to college

Not sure about your laws but if yours are similar whatever you do don't take your car until you pay him, I'd say go in amd be adiment back about paying and leaving and don't take no for an answer, let him ramble about how he's gonna fix it and everythings okay... don't respond (as I'm sure you've been down that road several times already) then just reply "my bill and keys please" don't be mean or rude but be strict enough he understands time is up

This is Iowa James, i grew up there. Everyone can fix a car, drive a tractor or combine, no education needed. :lol:

This is Iowa James, i grew up there. Everyone can fix a car, drive a tractor or combine, no education needed.
Scott, this guy not so much. I think that James may have hit on the crux of the matter. This is a guy who has been a motor head since the vintage muscle cars appeared on show room floors, but doesn't have much of a head for business.

I kind of got into this mess when I gave the guy money for parts up front, which is how we have operated in the past. Three weeks ago I had the bad idea that paying him the balance of what was due would make him feel obligated to finish the job. I've even offered a completion bonus, which he was asking for a couple of weeks ago, that I have made clear isn't going to be paid until he turns the car over.

I stopped by the shop at lunch. Radiator hoses were off again, which is another good reason to not just take it without asking. He rambled about how he's gonna fix it and everythings okay, just like James predicted he would. I just said "Put it back together. I don't care care it still overheats or not. We're done." I suppose I'll be calling the sheriff on him tomorrow, or possibly the fraud squad in the attorney general's office.

Call the cops, reclaim your property, then sue him for all the weeks you've had to pay for a rental and the pain and suffering he's caused you. Hopefully he doesn't bill you for some astronomical sum of money being as he's had the car there for six weeks!

If all else fails would the different tack of maybe his business appearing in the local newspaper swing it? A nice big picture of you looking glum in front of your own car he won't let you take back? Can't look good however you slice it.

Not that this matters, but I am curious as to what kind of car it is? Was your old intake broken, or was this some sort of a performance upgrade?

You could always show him your bullets...:lol:

he probably thinks he's doing the right thing with his dogged determination to fix your car. I've had poor workmanship before from mechanics - my bet is he's broken something and is delaying until he can source parts.

either way, if you pay for the work he's done he cannot keep your car. doesn't matter what part of the world you live in the same rules apply.

Find the #3 or #4 ranked tv station in your market. They will usually have an "investigators," or "in your corner," or "on your side" scheme. They love this kind of thing. Usually they will make a call and once the mechanic knows they are snooping around, he will most likely let you have your car back to avoid the media coverage. If he doesn't, they will go there with cameras running and start asking questions.

Is his name Putty?

"Uhhhhhhhhh..."

$Puddy.jpg

Doesn't matter if the vehicle is in parts. Have you paid him in full? If yes, go to the sherriffs office in person and ask to speak with the sergeant on duty. Explain the situation, show him your receipts, ask if they will come with you to help you get your property back. They can even call a tow truck for you so that the vehicle can be moved to another repair shop if it is not running.

Top Bottom