What's new

Masterbuilt electric smoker fix

This is a sort of heads up to others, because I would normally have just carried this out to the curb when it stopped working. Basically, I got good product support from Masterbuilt and was quickly, easily, and cheaply able to get my conked out smoker going again.

I have a 30 inch Masterbuilt electric dorm-fridge type smoker model 20070910 that is about 3.5 years old. When I tried to turn it on recently, it would immediately trip the GFP on my outside plug. (It had tripped in the recent past after the unit was on for some time, which did not make the unit unusable. But the immediate trip did make it unusable.)

I just going to take it out for the refuse people to pick up--it was not all that expensive and I had gotten good use of it. I think these things ostensibly have a 90-day warranty! But I ran some Google searches and found that folks felt they were getting great product support from Masterbuilt for this and similar problems for units way out of warranty. So I called Mb, got someone on the line pretty much right away and they diagnosed a bad heater element--even though the element looked fine to me. They sent me a new one for around $14, as I recall, I assume plus some shipping that I neglected to ask the cost of. It came quickly with good instructions, and was fairly easy to install. Unit works great now. A very satisfactory experience.

By the way, there on some You Tube videos on replacing heater elements in 30 inch Masterbuilt units, where the process seems quite elaborate. I do not know if those are other model numbers or what, even though the units look like mine. What I did was simple in every respect. Anyway, I would not be scared off by those videos. In a potentially similar vein, Amazon seems to still sell this model number and what it calls the newer model 20071117, the latter at about $10 less than the former. They look the same from the outside, but from what I have read, folks do not like some of the tweaks Mb has made in the newer model and think the older model is better.

Anyway, I thought I would pass this on, FWIW. I realize not as cool as a charcoal or even gas-fired model, but it has done pretty well by me.

i have a Smokin-It, #3 i believe... i use mostly for fish (yes, i know, overkill!)
I was very excited when i bought it, a few years back, but my enthusiasm faded rather quickly after a few smokes.. no matter what, nothing tastes as good as WSM cooking.
True, replacing parts is quite easy and they're inexpensive.

A Smoking-It #3! The word "overkill" does come to mind. On the other hand, I love good tools and Smoking-It comes within that phrase. I thought I might have to go that way when the Masterbuilt went out, but I see no need now for my rather modest needs.

<True, replacing parts is quite easy and they're inexpensive.>

Definitely has always been true for Smoking-It. Based on what I have read and saw on You Tube this was not always so for Mb. I think there was a time when Mb had in mind that one would simply toss the whole smoker and buy a new one, if the heating element went out, and I would think the heating element would prone to going out long before the rest of the unit went bad. But, now, anyway, Mb is very responsive. Props for having a Smoking-It though!

I should be able to figure this out, but what is "WSM cooking"? "Wood Smoke M______ cooking," I assume. But what is the "M"? I would not want to have to do without a smoker. It has been too much fun, and I actually get a lot of use out it. I have never done a fish. I actually had a bunch of salmon ready to go in the smoker when it started throwing the GFP.

IMG_5655.JPG
IMG_5661.JPG

Firing it up on the good old WSM...finest kind

A Smoking-It #3! The word "overkill" does come to mind
I meant overkill for fish...
Yes, it's a nice tool, built like a tank, plenty of room, pretty steady temp.. everything one wants from a smoker. They only thing missing is that true smoke flavor, i can live w/o bark.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

yet, if you want to try a WSM, check out the 14.5" one - that's the one i use most of the time, you can fit 3 rib racks, cut in half. If you want to bite the bullet, get the real McCoy, the 22".
Here's my baby:
proxy.php

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
today i ordered another Dutch Oven, although i have another just like it but i couldn't resist the price... i ment to buy the Camp CHef 16" for ribs - not as deep as Lodge, though. Maybe next time....

Nice to see another DO cook here. Is that price right on the 12 inch deep oven? Wow. $55 is an insanely low price...so low it's suspect to me. Let me know how your order goes.

I need to get a couple of mine out next week.

ha, i paid $43 with free shipping.... i see they're gone now.

yes, i love it! at home, in the yard, i use this steel tub (i don't have a table, i think the tub is better to keep embers flying)
.... i mean, i put the DO into the tub, before you ask :)

Last edited:
<They only thing missing is that true smoke flavor, i can live w/o bark.>
That is too bad. One never knows until one has both, but I seem to get good smoke flavor and bark on briskets and pork shoulders with the Mb.

The Smoking-It seems so well-constructed.

There are on-line complaints about the Mb's temperature consistency and reliability. I have not had any problems with the former and the latter seems easily enough repaired. Although it did "strand" me with I was having people over.

I have an older MB dorm fridge style, pre glass door. Works very well for fish, jerky, and such. Electric smokers only make smoke when the heating element cycles on, if you use too big of chunks it cycles back off before smoke is generated. On the other hand sawdust burns out too quickly. When I want heavier smoke my Big Green Egg does great, when I want something like burnt ends an old Charbroil log smoker gets the call.

love my MES. Have had it for about 5 years now and it has been running Flawlessly. Only upgrade was an AMAZN - Pellet Smoker. burns really well with a bunch of wood variations and has been very handy for cold smokes (Mostly Lox and Cheeses).

Rob is right, one never knows unless has both...
Once in a while i do like a dozen racks for company "picnic", they have no clue was electric.

AMAZN is amazing, indeed :) great little toy!

Nice to hear a company that gives great support levels! I was lucky and happened into a large propane cabinet smoker, and after using that one several times, I'm not likely to go to electric (or even charcoal). I don't detect any lack of smoke flavor from the propane model compared to places I've been that use wood/charcoal. I wonder why it seems lacking in an electric version.

<I wonder why it seems lacking in an electric version.>

According to bberg100: "Electric smokers only make smoke when the heating element cycles on, if you use too big of chunks it cycles back off before smoke is generated. On the other hand sawdust burns out too quickly."

I have no idea how often my heating element cycles on and off on my unit. But I personally had not noticed any lack of smoke production . I tend to use larger chunks of wood, as I agree that finer chips seem to get used up too quickly. YMMV, of course.

Very interesting links. I am not sure there is not more there than I can absorb, so to speak. The little, if any, smoke ring with electric smokers "rings" at least somewhat true in my experience. Although, as I indicated earlier, I personally have not noticed a lack of smoke flavor with the electric. This does make me want to experiment with other fuel-sourced smokers. I am not sure whether I will bother, though.

Top Bottom