What's new

Master Shavers of Studio 997

For anybody in Columbus, OH, or who has ever been here, I was wondering if you have ever frequented this place? It is a place where you can get a straight shave. The owner was trained at Truefitt and Hill, and I found the place through their retail locater on their web site. Just wondering if anybody has given this guy a try. He has a website that shows a nice atmosphere for getting a shave. $30 for a shave is not something I would want to lay down without first hearing from others.

Mike

I live in Ohio too, and was told that it is illegal for even a barber to shave you, with an open razor, here. :frown:

I have an open bet going on here. if anyone in the U.S has had a shave in any commercial establishment with a true straight razor let us know. No one has come forward yet. I think the best you can hope for is some kind of disposable like a feather or shavette or maybe a bic. If your really lucky the guy who uses it will be 1/2 competent with it.

Always worth asking, I guess. I wouldn't want to have it done unless whoever would do the shave used a real straight razor regularly though.

T

tmicom

Dr. Mike-

I have actually been going to John Bowman for some 15 or so years. He and his brother Mike Bowman have been in business here in Columbus for many many years. They are well known for using the razor sculpting technique for cutting hair with a straight razor and have won awards of it over the years. The man knows his stuff, end of story. I believe Joe Blundo of the Dispatch wrote a column about him last July (?) and he is supposed to be in C-bus magazine at the end of the month.

His shaves are quite relaxing and I have come in for my appointment several times to find a customer asleep in the chair, hot towel around his face. Its very nice.

His studio is on the back of his house so its quite relaxing. Oh yeah, he uses a true straight razor. What do I win,lol?

Perhaps if you bring your own razor?

what is next? Bring your own ' entertainment ' to the brothel? $30 for a shave is out of my range. I can buy a fine English cream for that, or a Scottish one. ( yes I know, if I pay, then the person using the razor knows what they are doing )

D

DAVE L

Yes Sir, Mr. Mike, I also have been going to John Boman for approx. 15 years. I do not regularly get these shaves, but when I did it was one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. He first lowers the lights, the music is always soothing and relaxing, and he uses 9 hot towels per customer. He also uses great products from London.(Trufit & Hill) as well as using a straight razor that he studied for that he is truly a master at. If you can afford it, you definately should try it. It also makes a great gift for grooms and their groomsmen before the ceremony and any other special event for a guy. I really don't want to sound like an advertisment, but I was looking for a good barber for years before I found John. I truly believe that you get what you pay for. I highly recomend him. Also, he gives a great haircut in his beautiful studio behind his house.

I checked out the website. They are running a special through March 31, buy 50 dollars in Truefitt & Hill products, get the 30 dollar shave free. I just might give it a try.

I have an open bet going on here. if anyone in the U.S has had a shave in any commercial establishment with a true straight razor let us know. No one has come forward yet. I think the best you can hope for is some kind of disposable like a feather or shavette or maybe a bic. If your really lucky the guy who uses it will be 1/2 competent with it.

I Saturday I am going for my first annual birthday shave a barber shop here in Houston. I have had shaves there before, but now that you mention it, I don't remember what kind of razor she uses me.

I just close my eyes let her put the hot towels and pre-shave on my face and let the experience happen. I guess I really don't what she uses, but I will have to pay attention this time around.

S

ShaveCrave

Yes Sir, Mr. Mike, I also have been going to John Boman for approx. 15 years. I do not regularly get these shaves, but when I did it was one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. He first lowers the lights, the music is always soothing and relaxing, and he uses 9 hot towels per customer. He also uses great products from London.(Trufit & Hill) as well as using a straight razor that he studied for that he is truly a master at. If you can afford it, you definately should try it. It also makes a great gift for grooms and their groomsmen before the ceremony and any other special event for a guy. I really don't want to sound like an advertisment, but I was looking for a good barber for years before I found John. I truly believe that you get what you pay for. I highly recomend him. Also, he gives a great haircut in his beautiful studio behind his house.

I've been going to John Bowman at Master Shavers of Studio 997 for several years. His shaves are great. I usually get both a shave and a haircut; which, I know, is more than two bits, but it's a great value. I start relaxing the moment I walk in the door. I've had his facials a few times, too. These are great, but take more time that I normally have, so I usually save them for a special occasion.

John's very accommodating, too. He shaved all of the groomsmen before my wedding (while the girls were at the salon) and I hosted a Shave and Poker party there two weeks ago with a few of friends. I've also attended wine and cheese shaving parties on his patio (he brings out the chair) when the weather permits.

The Truefitt and Hill products are great and John has received formal training from that establishment! John uses a hygienically safe straight razor, i.e., disposable, as that's essentially the only real option. It's sharp and works great. But the razor is only a part of the experience. Essential oils, hot lather, and steaming towels are what make it a treat.

I would encourage anyone who wants the royal treatment when it comes to a shave to go to the Master Shavers of Studio 997. There is a website, its: http://www.mastershavers.com/.

I had my birthday shave on Saturday and she did shave me with a shavette-type razor. Good shave, though.

Not only is John a excellent Barber he is a true Gentlemen that has a passion for his craft. This is very rare in the field today. I highly recommend anyone that has the chance to stop by.

Hot damn I live in Indianapolis (few hours from this place) and Ill be there this summer for a week!! Looks like I'll be going here to give it a shot.

With SWMBO being a salon owner in Ohio I refered this question to her. Yes you can use an actual str8 in the state of Ohio, but under strict guidlines. It is regulated by the state and of course they are very strict and do suprise visits etc, etc..... Each razor must be properly sanitized & maintained, with the hones and strops also sanitized and maintained properly between each and every customer. Blah, blah, blah, it is just much easier, and cheaper if something isnt up to snuff according to state inspectors to use disposables for the shaves. You can also use str8s for haircuts, but with much less restriction.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just returned from having a shave and facial at Master Shavers. I had the The Regency Shave & Facial.

John started by explaining exactly what he was going to do and in what order. He says he strives to provide world class service at prices people can afford and I would say he delivers admirably.

There were three hot towels, each with various EOs that preceded the shave. Then came a shave, with T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream WTG and ATG passes with shavettes, one per pass, loaded with Dovo blades.

This was followed by a six step facial, each step followed by a hot towel. First is cleansing and exfoliation of the non beard areas, then a 10 minute facial massage followed by 10 minutes of under a clay facial mask. After clean up of the clay, John attends to the back of the neck with a brief but satisfying massage. Then comes an ice towel to close the pores and a wrap up with some wrinkle smoother around the eyes, moisturiser on non-beard areas and T&H ASB of your choice on the beard.

Despite the large Sweeney Todd poster directly across from the entrance, this was one of the most comfortable and relaxing experiences of my life. If you're in Columbus and have time, you owe it to yourself. If you find yourself in Columbus, the studio is about 20 mins from the airport, maybe 35 mins during rush times.

Top Bottom