What's new

Mass Appeal Soap

Does this really compare to the DE Blade thread though? Answering Stirling or Proraso is a bit like saying 'Gillette' on the other thread. They make a ton of soaps, which one?
I think it's important to distinguish between a soap's base and a soap's scent.

Stirling has two bases (three if you include lanolin free (e.g. Unscented with Beeswax)): one base uses beef tallow, the other base uses mutton tallow. Scent is another matter entirely to my way of thinking. There are several Stirling scents I don't like, but the soaps performance has always been extraordinarily good. Personally, I think either Stirling base would have great "mass appeal" based on how it performs and that's why I voted for it. Stirling also has a broad selection of scents to choose from in either base which, while nice, is not necessarily germane to the question... In my opinion.

Tabac, Arko, and Williams generate the least controversy on this site. Universally loved.

Until we start to talk about the "smell" then all holy heck breaks loose!!!!!

I would say honestly with 100 percent confidence Williams is the most popular and talked about, and "universally" loved as mentioned, so is Proraso Green, which is a "drug store" brand over there for them.

Funny we talk about Williams, I have to get a puck today, I'm going to be doing a side by side comparison of how many shaves I can get out of a puck of Arko vs a puck of Williams, I have the spread sheet already going.

What makes it kind of tough. Is that there are members on this forum that are from all parts of the world on here. So some of these recommendations may work well in one part of the country. But not your's.

That said I have asked myself this question a few times over the years.

My answer would be Proraso.

Tell them that I like the green and red. But look at all their scent descriptions and pick the one you like best.

It seems to be fairly easy to find on the net. Good performance for the price. Easy to lather, especially the cream. So I think it would be a good beginer recommendation, that would appeal to the masses to start out with.

Proraso is a absolute winner for me, hands down one of the best values out there, all of the scents are great. The white is awesome for the summer, and then the green is great year round and of course red for the winter.

1640705105002.png

I haven't tried the new formulations for Tabac or Haslinger so I really can't say. But I have tried most of the ones on this list and have been delighted with them all. I would still have to toss my hat in for MWF. It was my first hard soap that really worked for me.

Funny we talk about Williams, I have to get a puck today, I'm going to be doing a side by side comparison of how many shaves I can get out of a puck of Arko vs a puck of Williams, I have the spread sheet already going.
I endorse this act of nuttery.

I have a quarter size sliver of WMS that I could probably stretch deep into 2023. Good news, I have several pucks behind and won't try.

And I face lather with Arko!, wantonly wasting product, so a quarter sliver may last only several weeks.

Yes. I exaggerate in an attempt to be humerus.

The true obstacle is I can't afford the scale that could accurately measure product before and after achieving suspension in lather.

But I admire the commitment to such a glorious project-- with you in spirit and happy shaving during this important research.

After a bit of thought I have switched my first place Mass Appeal soap from Fine Classic which the scents would polarize and Cyril R. Salter into first. CRS puck is one I would recommend to anyone. Especially the budget crowd. It is a very light lavender scent and is subtle. Cult of Arko, Williams, Van der Hagen, budget shavers, or, fancy artisan or high end soap users. Users of D.R. Harris, since it is supposed to be the same base at a fraction of the cost. I only get it from sent from the UK with a larger order.

So review -1 Fine Classic
+1 Cyril R. Salter

I am squarely in the Stirling camp on this one as its the soap I've used exclusively for over 4yrs now and am very satisfied by the products they sell as a whole!!

The things I never have to worry about is:

*Its one of the best price points, $/oz. of any Artisan soap on the market today
*Whether the soap I want is in stock or will be released sometime during the year
*Don't have to by multiple tubs because it won't ever be produced again
*It will be the same base I know and love
*Its one of the easiest soaps to lather
*Its one of the slickest soaps on the market
*Am confident that I am buying a quality product every time
*Best of all I know when I place an order I never have to worry about when and if it will be shipped on time because of some lame excuse every release!!

Top Bottom