What's new

Mashed Potatoes

Another vote for Yukon Golds.

As for mix-ins, my traditional favorite is from Ireland, champ: simmered milk, butter, and scallions.
There's another Irish one, colcannon, which features cabbage.

I agree that horseradish is also great, and so is roasted garlic.

An old friend who has his own restaurant gave me a great idea: kalamata tapenade.

Russetts, as that is pretty much all my wife buys. We just put salt, pepper, and butter in the tatters, and sometimes add garlic.

I generally use russets, but have on occasion used Yukon golds. I also use a potato ricer to mash them they are velvety smooth that way and not the least starchy. I use a combinarion of sour cream & butter in a 50/50 ratio plus salt and pepper to taste. I add warm milk to bring it to the desired consistency.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What's also nice is too make your mash taters how you like them, then chop up some chives or green onions and mix em in.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
What's also nice is too make your mash taters how you like them, then chop up some chives or green onions and mix em in.

Yep on the chives - forgot them when I posted - just came in from raking and my chive patch is still green & strong. Until tomorrow's snow anyway. They should make it to Thanksgiving duty though, & will freeze the rest of this year's take.

I'm always in charge of the mashed potatoes for thanksgiving.

I boil the potatoes very slowly in half and half until they are done, then reserve the half and half.

While the potatoes are cooking, I roast a head of garlic until golden brown. Also, I frizzle about 12 leaves of sage and rosemary leaves in butter and olive oil. I save the fat and chop up the herbs.

Once the potatoes are done, I rice them, add the herbs, reserved butter and olive oil and squeeze in the roasted garlic. Then I use the reserved half and half to get them to the right consistency. Finally stir in some chives, salt and pepper to taste and you're good to go.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Once you have them smooth load a pastry bag with them and pipe them into a muffin tin, bit of Parmesan sprinkled on and broil until golden brown. If some chives, garlic, and bacon bits found their way into the mash I'd not hold it against you. Fun stuff to do when you are doing a roast that takes a couple of hours.

Twice baked potatoes always go over well with the denizens around here.

Bake your russets 'til they're squeezable. Remove from oven, allow to cool until handlable.
Cut in half length wise and scoop out all the flesh.
Treat the flesh to your favourite mashed potato procedure.
Refill the potato skins with the mashed potatoes, top with grated cheese a sprinkling of paprika or caramelized shallots or whatever else you may feel like.
Pop back in the oven to reheat, you could broil them to brown up the tops... variations are endless.
Top with more stuff after the second baking, chives, sour cream, crumbled bacon, anything you like.

You can overfill the skins so you have leftover skins, level fill to use up all the skins, no rules.

dave

Top Bottom