What's new

Martin de Candre usage

unless you use a wee Scot or small synthetic brush, MdC is going to be a premium soap due to the very high purchasing price. Even if you can get 400 shaves out of a tub, you’re still in the ball park of $15 cents a shave, which is decent but far from the <$10 cents a shave that you can get from more budget friendly soaps

If you get “only” 200-300 out of a tub than you are definitely in the expensive territory.

I’ve sold 3 nearly full tubs and won’t replenish my brain bowl and Fougere tub when they are gone. At this stage of my shaving hobby, I don’t see the value anymore in expensive soaps. It’s a fantastic soap, though.

Last edited:
unless you use a wee Scot or small synthetic brush, MdC is going to be a premium soap due to the very high purchasing price. Even if you can get 400 shaves out of a tub, you’re still in the ball park of $15 cents a shave, which is decent but far from the <$10 cents a shave that you can get from more budget friendly soaps

What do you consider "more budget friendly soaps" that give similar results? In *my* experience, the only soap I would use that is less expensive on a per use basis is MWF. As a counter example, I would argue Haslinger is equal to MdC on a per use basis.

I used the Original this morning and had a delightful shave. I ran my Simpsons Keyhole 2 in Best over the soap until I had a nice crown of airy bubbles (10 seconds max) and face-lathered that to perfection. I only do 1.5 passes these days, so this was plenty. I haven’t weighed the soap between uses but I bet I’d get a ton of mileage out of a 200g puck since I only shave every 2-3 days on average.

Such a simple, clean, and classy soap base!
Interestingly enough, Original is the one I own that I have yet to use. I always get persuaded by Agrumes and Vetiver beforehand. Rose for me is always a 50/50, in competition with Declaration's Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli

What do you consider "more budget friendly soaps" that give similar results? In *my* experience, the only soap I would use that is less expensive on a per use basis is MWF. As a counter example, I would argue Haslinger is equal to MdC on a per use basis.
Tabac, Ach Brito Lavanda, Cella Red, Cella Bio, Speick, MWF… I could go on.

Don’t get me wrong, MdC is great. I’ve just come to the conclusion that the entry price is too high with no increased benefits vs many cheaper options. I will still use mine very happily

Haslinger gives me 50 shaves for 4€. That’s 0.08€ per shave. I find MdC to be superior, though.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I load about five seconds and have plenty for three or four passes and some left over. I do not like lather that looks like whipped cream. I find that a wetter lather, just dry enough that it doesn't run down my neck and onto my chest, is very slick and cushions more than adequately. Using this approach my two year old tub is still about a third full. I took a few months break to try Agrumes. I far prefer the Fougere.

Reactions: CCS
Having recently finished my MdC Original Brain Bowl, I have used Tabac, MWF, Haslinger and DR Harris up next it is clear that there are a lot of great soaps, but I’m anxious to start the new MdC Rose Brain Bowl on the shelf.

As good as some soaps are, the MdC is my favorite. One I start it, it is doubtful I will use any other soaps except when away from home.

This has probably been answered before, but with the brain bowl does the scent dissipate or get weaker over time as the soap is constantly exposed to the air?

This has probably been answered before, but with the brain bowl does the scent dissipate or get weaker over time as the soap is constantly exposed to the air?
I never found the Original to be very strongly scented and to my novice nose it hardly changed if at all. I think the paper wrapping actually had a stronger scent than the soap.

I believe that MdC the company dries all of their soaps for weeks or longer as part of their curing process.

I never found the Original to be very strongly scented and to my novice nose it hardly changed if at all. I think the paper wrapping actually had a stronger scent than the soap.

I believe that MdC the company dries all of their soaps for weeks or longer as part of their curing process.

Thanks! I love the Fougere scent and would prefer it to retain its original potency through the life of the soap (as much as is possible anyway).

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

Yes, unless you use it reasonably often.

About 6-9 months according to their website. This long curing is something unique to MdC. No other artisan dries the water out of their soaps for 6-9 months. The curing is why the MdC soaps last so long.

Am I the only one to find MSC lasts no longer than most other soaps? My rose jar went in 3 months and eventually became very cream like. I did load heavily and suspect some shavers are timid to load considering the cost. Also, it is 200gms a puck, whereas lots of soaps are just over 100gms.
No you’re not the only one, just one of the few who says it publicly.

Top Bottom