What's new

Marmalade anyone?

I enjoy a good orange marmalade with my assam tea for breakfast. Currently, I have a jar of Chivers Olde English, which really isn't bad. Usually I buy Mackay's Vintage Dundee marmalade. The ultimate thick cut marmalade IMO however, is still Wilkins' Tawny :w00t: . Their tiptree is nice as well from time to time: very dark coloured and bitter tasting.

So marmalade lovers, who makes the best IYO?

Hello Frederik. I really like Frank Cooper's Vintage Oxford. I don't think you'll find a darker, more bitter marmalade than this one. My wife and kids won't touch it which means I get to finish the whole jar.

Regards, Todd

Scotto said:
My favorites are the trio from Wilkins & sons: the regular, "tawny", and "double one"

O yes, the double one: that's orange and tangerine right?
It is indeed very tasty -somehow I associate it mainly with a late summer breakfast, whereas tawny is more of a 'winter-marmalade' to me.

You got it.

I love all the Wilkins stuff. I would also agree on the tawny as a cool-weather product. Rich and treacly.... yum. :drool:

My grandmother used to make the best marmalade there is; thick cut, very dark and quite tangy, sadly she died a few years ago. I haven't found one I like as much yet although Wilkin & Sons Tawny marmalade is about the best do far.

I'm not a fan of the dark thick cut jobbies, prefering the milder thin cut ones. My favourite though is my ex wife's kumquat preserve! Not quite a marmalade but delicious. Luckily we get on well now we don't have to live together so I always get a couple of jars when she makes it.

Gareth

I'm not a fan of the dark thick cut jobbies, prefering the milder thin cut ones. My favourite though is my ex wife's kumquat preserve! Not quite a marmalade but delicious. Luckily we get on well now we don't have to live together so I always get a couple of jars when she makes it.

Gareth

The kumquat is an under appreciated fruit that packs a lot of flavor into a bite size serving. Kumquat preserves sound very interesting.

I love marmalade as well. Now I am going to have to do sampling research to find the best! I've never really tried any outside of your common grocery store brands, so I will have to find some Wilkins', Chiver's, Cooper's and Mackays.

This forum is bad on the checkbook. Such an enabler it is.:001_smile

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm a fan . . . buggered me up a tad when a 100 + dude attributed his long life to keeping away from it but hell . . . nothing better than a bit of buttery toast and drop of marmalade.

Coopers or Tiptree are my marmalades of choice depending on whats available in the store.

Luckily just me and my daughter like it, so theres usually lots in the fridge for breakfast :biggrin:

I just bought some Swedish marmalade from IKEA which has fläder in it (elderflower). It's quite delicious - nice thick cut orange peels.

I don't care what brand it is, as long as there are massive hunks of rind, and a bitterness that won't quit.:thumbup1:

Make your own Marmalade

Dundee Marmalade

Ingredients : 2 lb Seville or bitter oranges; 2 lemons; 4 pt water; 4 lb preserving sugar (Makes about 4 lb)

Wash the oranges and lemons and put, whole, into a large saucepan or preserving pan, add the water, and put the lid on. Bring to the boil and simmer for one and half hours so that you can easily pierce the fruit. When they are ready, take them out and leave them on a big dish to cool. With a sharp knife, slice them into the thickness you like, and remove any pips. Add these pips to the juice, boil for ten minutes, then strain. Add the sliced fruit to the juice and bring to the boil; then add the sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until it is disolved, then boil up rapidly, without stirring, for about half an hour, or until setting point (approximately 220 deg F.) is attained. A small spoonful put on to a cold saucer will 'wrinkle' up when the dish is tilted - if the marmalade is cooked enough. Pour into warmed jars, and cover at once.

Tacheless.... Born and Bred in Dundee

I don't care what brand it is, as long as there are massive hunks of rind, and a bitterness that won't quit.:thumbup1:

+ Another. I made a neat blade bank with this jar...
proxy.php

My dad makes jelly out of blackberries, gooseberries, elderberries, and bilberries. On top of that he is turning mirabelle plums into marmalade. It's his hobby. Sadly I don't like the jelly, it's too sugary. He says he can't change that because he needs the sugar to turn it into jelly, else it would stay too runny. This year is his first year making mirabelle plums. I'm eager to try that though.

Has anyone tried a marmalade with bergamot? I thought of this the other day, and apparently they exist, any recomendations?

Double one and my grandmothers own "dark Private reserve". That old lady could cook. The DPR was tart it would take the enamel off ones teeth. She also made a wonderful three fruit, Orange, lemon and grapefruit that was so good on a lighter toast.

regards

salivating

Simon

Top Bottom