What's new

Marmalade anyone?

It is high time this old thread was revisited. If you ever have proper marmalade, you will not go back to most of the stuff sold in American markets. Most of ours runs toward the ultra sweet side with no real orange bite. High fructose corn syrup abounds in most of them. I really like the Vintage Oxford but really want to try my hand at making it. This would allow making differing flavours. One plain marmalade, quite bitter with large chunks. One plain with less bitter shreds of rind, etc. You could even add spirit and liqueurs as needed. Of course malt whisky is the traditional choice but how about a Curacao or Grand Marnier infused version for a real orange explosion? I wonder that a bourbon wouldn't make a good addtion as well? The main trouble is findng someone who will sell me Seville oranges. At one time I read and article somewhere that alleged the U.S. grows more Seville oranges than any place else on the globe. Texas and Arizona to be precise. Try finding them in the midwest. I really need to start now locking them down since they start the harvest in early February. Last year I couldn't find a single local grocer who had even heard of them, let alone knew where to get any. Wish me luck.

Regards, Todd

ripetoyou.com seems to have Seville oranges for sale, as well as a number of other interesting citrus fruits. I've never ordered from them, but I've read good things on Chowhound. Keep us posted about your search!

Top Bottom