What's new

Mandolin 1, Sullybob 0

Sunday I was getting ready to leave work, the Sous Chef asked me to make a batch of Jicama Slaw before I left. No problem, I get to work on it. I use a mandolin multiple times a day. Need to julianne a gallon or two of jicama? Use a mandolin. This time I broke my rule for using a mandolin, when you use a mandolin you only use the mandolin. You don't think about anything else, don't let your mind wander from the task at hand. I was thinking about canning a batch of salsa when I got home from work, not about julianning the jicama with the mandolin. I paid for my inattention. My right thumb is now slightly triangular in shape.

I spent three hours in the ER before the bleeding finally stopped with my wife glowering at me most of the time. Why? She asked me if I was using the guard. I have never used the guard on the mandolin at work. Maybe I should start.:ohmy:

Been there, done that! I got to look at my middle finger bone after cutting up some potatoes for homefries. I bled for 30-45 minutes. The kitchen looked like a voodoo sacrificial alter. My wife was not amused. The nice band of scar tissue reminds my to stay on task, now!

Tim

I did something like that with at chef's knife mincing ginger once (right before a gig, too). Not fun at all.

Hang in there, Shawn.

You use one of the French mandolins or the Asian variety? The French ones are more expensive but, in my experience, far less likely to cut you. The Asian ones...well we used to call them "Chinese Finger Slicers." They'll cut you even when you are paying attention.

I completely shaved off my middle fingernail with my nakiri while mincing garlic once. I looked down the line for less than one second and BAM! It didn't even bleed. Good times...

i did that to my left thumb once with a deli-style meat slicer set on automatic. i too, wasn't paying attention. i didn't hit bone, but my thumb is smaller and more angular as a result.

did you slice any nerves endings? my thumb pad still had a sort of tingly-numb sensation to this day.

I completely shaved off my middle fingernail with my nakiri while mincing garlic once. I looked down the line for less than one second and BAM! It didn't even bleed. Good times...

This didn't bleed for about 15 seconds. Long enough for me to walk over to the sink, wave my hand in front of the automatic paper towel dispenser, take the paper towel and fold it up and apply it to the missing patch of skin. I have shaved down my finger nails before too, its always the middle finger isn't it?

That's not what's meant by the term "thumb notch". :lol::lol:

At least it wasn't "Seraphimized" :ohmy:

You use one of the French mandolins or the Asian variety? The French ones are more expensive but, in my experience, far less likely to cut you. The Asian ones...well we used to call them "Chinese Finger Slicers." They'll cut you even when you are paying attention.

Its a French one. The Asian ones are brutal.

Ouch!
I hope you are OK.

I'll be fine. It just really puts a damper on the festivities that I had planned this week. I'm off of school this week. Monday starts a new semester. I wanted to do some baking and lots of cooking and some canning.

i did that to my left thumb once with a deli-style meat slicer set on automatic. i too, wasn't paying attention. i didn't hit bone, but my thumb is smaller and more angular as a result.

did you slice any nerves endings? my thumb pad still had a sort of tingly-numb sensation to this day.

I have had several night mares about the deli meat slicer and a deep fryer.

I think the nerve endings are okay, no tingly feelings. Yet.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ouch!
I hope you are OK.

I'm fine. Shawn cut himself.

Heal up soon, buddy. And use the guard, pro cook or not. It only takes a second to slip up, and it's a second you can't take back.

That sucks - hope you heal up quickly.

Note to self - buy kevelar gloves for use with mandoline (I can't use the stupid guard thingy).

This didn't bleed for about 15 seconds. Long enough for me to walk over to the sink, wave my hand in front of the automatic paper towel dispenser, take the paper towel and fold it up and apply it to the missing patch of skin. I have shaved down my finger nails before too, its always the middle finger isn't it?

At least it wasn't "Seraphimized" :ohmy:

Its a French one. The Asian ones are brutal.

I'll be fine. It just really puts a damper on the festivities that I had planned this week. I'm off of school this week. Monday starts a new semester. I wanted to do some baking and lots of cooking and some canning.

Ouch! That's almost worse.

I hope you heal up and everything's OK.

I started cringing when I saw the thread title and slowly realized that you weren't talking about the musical instrument.

Shawn, I've flattened my knuckles a few time using my French mandolin but nothing like you describe. I also never use the guard so my wife gives me her "I told you so" look every time I do it. It seems we guys are a bit stubborn, eh? :blushing:

Glad you're OK.

Top Bottom