What's new

Making a really rough looking razor shine??

Any tips for bringing back the shine in a really rough looking razor?

I picked up a super adjustable off eBay and there is a lot of tarnish/corrosion/pitting. Even after cleaning and scrubbing with dawn and an hour+ of polishing with Flitz it's still not great, especially the top of the handle. Any suggestions for getting a better shine.

IMG_20230509_091352_963.jpg
I also have this old non-branded travel razor. The little case has most of the plating gone. Any tips for getting shine back in that. If it takes off more plating I don't really care. Especially with the case.
IMG_20230509_091219_630.jpg

I'm not sure what can clean up the black handle. Maas polish is a little more aggressive than Flitz, so that may help.

lasta

Blade Biter
TTO's will take some skill to disassemble and sand/polish. I've never attempted...

As for the 3 piece, should be fairly easy.

A few sanding cycles with 400-600 grit sandpaper to remove all the plating, then gradually work your way up to 5000/7000 grit, finish with Flitz.

If you don't have power tools, roll up a small kitchen towel and wrap/pinch a strip of sandpaper around it.

The nickel, yes, the black handle? Disassembly would be advised.
It looks from the picture like it would need replating the nickel. It has slept with the fishes for too long.

the case, sanding then polish, a fair finish is achieved with 400 grit then i use Autosol, higher grit paper for a good finish, a really nice finish a buffing wheel cloth wheel at our equal of harbor freight is 14 to 18$AUD for one that fits any normal drill.

1-IMG_2011_01_07_3529polish brass.JPG

A brass case, 1200 grit, Autosol, then cloth buffing wheel, white rouge, then my secret: talcum powder rouge, smoother than that trolls bottom.

Top Bottom