What's new

Make your own brush?

Yearly I shoot some badgers. Since the best brushes are both expensive and I don't like waste I wonder if anyone knows how the brushes are made? And maybe have a tutorial to share?

Some wild boars is also put down ( Russian line) if anyone know and recommend brushes from them to.

I have absolutely no idea how you'd even begin to do that, but I'm extremely interested. I know it involves putting the hair into some sort of cup and tying a string around it, but I'm sure there is a ton of nuisance to it.

Aren't there laws about shooting a badger?

This is the only video I've seen offering any insight. It's not a how-to, but maybe a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had the expertise as well. Always wanted to hunt boar and had thought about harvesting all of the animal.

I *think* they're trimming the back side. The way I figure is that the tips are in the cup, which probably has an inverted bulb shape. They trim the backs, then tie them off to be set into the epoxy. That's purely a guess, though.

Do you need a special license to hunt Badgers in the U.S.?

Don't know about badger, but boar are fair game here 24/7. No real bag limit, no season, no license needed (as long as you are on land you have permission to be on). Permits are required on WMA land though. Good side is I just know boar has to taste better than badger.

Don't know about badger, but boar are fair game here 24/7. No real bag limit, no season, no license needed (as long as you are on land you have permission to be on). Permits are required on WMA land though. Good side is I just know boar has to taste better than badger.

Thanks.

I'm hunting Sweden so I'm don't know all the us regulations about badger.
Anyone that knows exactly which areas of the fur to us?

I believe the best stuff comes from the area around the back of the neck!

Post pictures of your efforts! I'd live to see how it turns out!

I'm not there yet. I need a better tutorial on binding and glueing before I put the effort into it. And I guess one badger is enough for approx 50 brushes of different quality.

Questions:
Do they wash the fur first?
It looks like they just cut the fur and doesn't prepare the skin? ( if so I guess I could provide more of you with raw material)

That knot - wonder what kind they use and material to do it?
Do they glue the fur to the bottom?
I will look next time but maybe someone knows more exactly what fur part that is good for silvertip quality?

Finally it looks like a real craftsmanship to do so first brush won't be the best one.

Top Bottom