What's new

magnifying loupe

Well, I'm thinking of getting into more serious honing (beyond my Chinese 12k for touchups) and am considering getting a jeweller's loupe to take a look at the edge. So a few questions: do you find them helpful? What magnification should I look for (I was thinking 10 to 30X, or should I just look into more than one loupe)? Lastly, I see lots of cheap loupes online, but many have screws for pins, seem to not be glass, so I'm hesitant to get one that cheap, how are they? I'm also hesitant to pick up a much more expensive one. Thanks.

Oh, I forgot to ask, any suggestions for online vendors or particular loupes?

ohhh, the belomo loupes seem to be what I'm looking for, only problem is everywhere I've looked so far the shipping costs are about the same as the actual loupe! Is there any advantage of a 30X, over a 20X, or over a 10X? Thanks.

Last edited:
I just got my belomo 20x yesterday and its well worth the money. This thing is like a high powered micro scope.

I bought 3 cheap china loupes, I really struggled with them hence the upgrade.

http://www.amateurgeologist.com/belomo/

it came out to $31 and change shipped via priority.

They are very helpful especially if youre experimenting with hones as I often do.

I love a super keen but smooth edge, I polish off on .3 micron.

Last edited:
I second the Belomo. The quality is superb. What does that mean? Well if is says 10x or 20x that is what you get. Most of the cheap stuff around if it says 10x it's probably only 6x.

I'd pay the shipping charge, its worth it IMHO.

Its all a matter of what you want to see. If all you care about is seeing chips on the edge a cheapo mag like the radio shack is all you need. if you want to see some real detail and the magnifier is a quality piece I'd say at least 30x is what you need to see any detail.

Check out edmunds scientifics and for top of the line stuff deutche Optik.

For those who use belomo which magnification do you prefer?

I ordered and received two -- the 10x and the 20x.

I found the 20x unusable. Could not get it to focus on anyting. Yes, I know there is a front/back (or top/bottom?) to the 20x.

I asked the dealer for refund and e let me ship it back. In his note he told me I should have talked to him before ordering. He said the 20x was only useful in a few specialized areas and most people who ordered one returned it. Says he would have told me not to bother.

The 20 is a little more difficult to use than the 10 but if you want some serious detail go 20.

I only use the 20, it only takes a few more seconds to get it focused. I only use it a few times while honing so the extra seconds it takes to me is not a big deal.

I messaged the seller before I bought mine and said I would be using it to see a razors edge. He quickly responded and said the 20 for sure.

I have a 10, 20, 30 and a belomo 20 by far the 20 belomo is the clearest and closest of them all.

The 20 is a little more difficult to use than the 10 but if you want some serious detail go 20.

I only use the 20, it only takes a few more seconds to get it focused. I only use it a few times while honing so the extra seconds it takes to me is not a big deal.

I messaged the seller before I bought mine and said I would be using it to see a razors edge. He quickly responded and said the 20 for sure.

I have a 10, 20, 30 and a belomo 20 by far the 20 belomo is the clearest and closest of them all.

Hmm. Maybe I was too hasty in returning it.

To be honest it was a real pain in the buns to get use to it. It gave me a headache but now that I have it it really helps out.

I can catch tiny chips that my 30x misses, due to its close point of focus.

I do find myself using it less and less as I develop a feel for the edge.

How much time did you give it? Took me like 3 days at least after 5 razors.

A quality magnifier is just that. You shouldn't have to play with it or get used to it. If you do it has serious shortcomings. If its quality it should have good eye relief and be easy to focus and concentrate the light. I use a Zeiss handlens which has two pieces that swing out giving you the choice of 12x, 24x or 36x. Its sharp as a tack and focuses very easily and is a pleasure to use now as when it came out of the box.

Well, because I'll be using this loupe to monitor my progress when I begin to learn how to hone, would a 10X be sufficient, or should I just skip to the 20X and take the extra time to learn to use it? Or, for you enablers, should I get both?!

Top Bottom