What's new

Maggard V3A, EJ DE89, Fatip Piccolo - Impressions (w/Feather Blades)

I just finished maybe eight or ten shaves - over the past several months - with a Maggard V3A head. I wanted to give my impressions, in comparison to my DE89 & Piccolo.

As noted, I generally use Feather blades.

Compared to my DE89, the V3A is definitely both more efficient & more aggressive. The difference is fairly substantial. I distinctly feel the blade on my face with the V3A, but in a good way. You do have to be comfortable with blade feel when using a V3A, versus the DE89 which has much less blade feel. Though the V3A is more aggressive, I didn't suffer any more in the way of cuts or scrapes than with the DE89. But feeling the blade so obtrusively, I must admit I shave a bit more deliberately with it than my DE89. I also have been pleasantly surprised with it's ability to easily mow down 3 & 4 days worth of beard, without clogging (as the DE89 is more prone to do). Again though, please keep in mind I use Feather blades.

But unfortunately, the V3A does not shave as close & as smooth as my beloved Fatip Piccolo. Then again, nothing else really does. Also the V3A has the same problem as the DE89, in that there's a spot under my chin that is difficult to get done well, without a fair amount of buffing or re-do. My Piccolo does not have this problem, as it takes care of it in one clean pass. I'm thinking that the real difference for me might be the difference between OC & SB head characteristics. The Piccolo is an OC head, whereas both the DE89 & V3A are SB.

But that being said, I do like the V3A. It's fine for when I want a relatively easy & intuitive shave, that doesn't need to be absolutely BBS perfect, while still being pretty close & efficient. For some reason I can very easily & intuitively feel the angles with the V3A. And also, I get great aural feedback. I find the angle intuitive using my DE89 as well, with decent aural feedback with it too (though not quite as loud as the V3A). So in essence, the V3A feels like a DE89 on steroids. It has the same basic characteristics, but it's more aggressive & more efficient.

I get neither of the two aforementioned positive V3A qualities (aural feedback & intuitive angles), with my Piccolo. But the Piccolo's smoothness, closeness, and efficiency, is beyond comparison. My first & sometimes only pass with the Piccolo, is closer than any other razor I've tried. I literally can stop shaving after only one good pass-and-a-half with it, ending up with a great DFS or even BBS. And I often do stop then! But for some reason after 6 months of use, I still don't find the Piccolo angles as intuitive as with my SB razors (though the shave seems great regardless of the angle). And I do very much miss the aural DE89/V3A feedback, that's non-existent in the Piccolo. But damn, does it shave!

I would not recommend the V3A or Piccolo to a rank beginner. But, I would the DE89. However, I'd also recommend getting past the DE89, as soon as one has their technique down. I spent far too long with only my DE89 (18 mos), not realizing how much better another razor like my Piccolo shaves. I can't believe how much time I spent trying to force the DE89 to get that area under my chin, that the Piccolo takes out in one easy pass!

So my take on these three razors, is:

1] Piccolo - Nothing for me is as smooth, close, and efficient, as a Fatip OC. The shave is effortless & sublime. And beautifully close! With minimal work.

2] V3A - The V3A is a nice, reasonably efficient, reasonably aggressive, SB razor. If you like SB shaving characteristics and want to move-up from the ubiquitous DE89/Merkur 34C, while still keeping the same shaving characteristics, but you desire more efficiency and are willing to accept more aggression, then the V3A might be what you're looking for. Despite my heady praise for the Piccolo, I do indeed like the V3A. It feels easy & intuitive, and it's earned a place in toolkit.

3] DE89 - Ah, the DE89. The razor so many of us started with! I still believe it's a great razor to start with. It's a very safe razor, and can do a decent enough job with some work & effort. But for me at least, I believe there's better tools available that one grows into. But a DE89 is a decent place to start, before you move-up to the big boy's turf.

Thanks for reading.

[As an aside, it's been awhile since I used my Fatip Gentile, so a comparison between it & the V3A might be in order, since they're both SB heads. Maybe down the road]

Interesting comparison. Thanks for posting!

For me a change in razor means that I need to revisit my blade choices to find the best combination!

I just finished maybe eight or ten shaves - over the past several months - with a Maggard V3A head. I wanted to give my impressions, in comparison to my DE89 & Piccolo.

As noted, I generally use Feather blades.

Compared to my DE89, the V3A is definitely both more efficient & more aggressive. The difference is fairly substantial. I distinctly feel the blade on my face with the V3A, but in a good way. You do have to be comfortable with blade feel when using a V3A, versus the DE89 which has much less blade feel. Though the V3A is more aggressive, I didn't suffer any more in the way of cuts or scrapes than with the DE89. But feeling the blade so obtrusively, I must admit I shave a bit more deliberately with it than my DE89. I also have been pleasantly surprised with it's ability to easily mow down 3 & 4 days worth of beard, without clogging (as the DE89 is more prone to do). Again though, please keep in mind I use Feather blades.

But unfortunately, the V3A does not shave as close & as smooth as my beloved Fatip Piccolo. Then again, nothing else really does. Also the V3A has the same problem as the DE89, in that there's a spot under my chin that is difficult to get done well, without a fair amount of buffing or re-do. My Piccolo does not have this problem, as it takes care of it in one clean pass. I'm thinking that the real difference for me might be the difference between OC & SB head characteristics. The Piccolo is an OC head, whereas both the DE89 & V3A are SB.

But that being said, I do like the V3A. It's fine for when I want a relatively easy & intuitive shave, that doesn't need to be absolutely BBS perfect, while still being pretty close & efficient. For some reason I can very easily & intuitively feel the angles with the V3A. And also, I get great aural feedback. I find the angle intuitive using my DE89 as well, with decent aural feedback with it too (though not quite as loud as the V3A). So in essence, the V3A feels like a DE89 on steroids. It has the same basic characteristics, but it's more aggressive & more efficient.

I get neither of the two aforementioned positive V3A qualities (aural feedback & intuitive angles), with my Piccolo. But the Piccolo's smoothness, closeness, and efficiency, is beyond comparison. My first & sometimes only pass with the Piccolo, is closer than any other razor I've tried. I literally can stop shaving after only one good pass-and-a-half with it, ending up with a great DFS or even BBS. And I often do stop then! But for some reason after 6 months of use, I still don't find the Piccolo angles as intuitive as with my SB razors (though the shave seems great regardless of the angle). And I do very much miss the aural DE89/V3A feedback, that's non-existent in the Piccolo. But damn, does it shave!

I would not recommend the V3A or Piccolo to a rank beginner. But, I would the DE89. However, I'd also recommend getting past the DE89, as soon as one has their technique down. I spent far too long with only my DE89 (18 mos), not realizing how much better another razor like my Piccolo shaves. I can't believe how much time I spent trying to force the DE89 to get that area under my chin, that the Piccolo takes out in one easy pass!

So my take on these three razors, is:

1] Piccolo - Nothing for me is as smooth, close, and efficient, as a Fatip OC. The shave is effortless & sublime. And beautifully close! With minimal work.

2] V3A - The V3A is a nice, reasonably efficient, reasonably aggressive, SB razor. If you like SB shaving characteristics and want to move-up from the ubiquitous DE89/Merkur 34C, while still keeping the same shaving characteristics, but you desire more efficiency and are willing to accept more aggression, then the V3A might be what you're looking for. Despite my heady praise for the Piccolo, I do indeed like the V3A. It feels easy & intuitive, and it's earned a place in toolkit.

3] DE89 - Ah, the DE89. The razor so many of us started with! I still believe it's a great razor to start with. It's a very safe razor, and can do a decent enough job with some work & effort. But for me at least, I believe there's better tools available that one grows into. But a DE89 is a decent place to start, before you move-up to the big boy's turf.

Thanks for reading.

[As an aside, it's been awhile since I used my Fatip Gentile, so a comparison between it & the V3A might be in order, since they're both SB heads. Maybe down the road]
I'm curious, Capisco -- Do you shave every day? I get great results with my Old Type, but I found it to be a bit too much for daily use. I will try a Fatip at some point, thanks for that review.

Just curious if you have alignment issues with your Piccolo? I have a Piccolo and a Schone, both require repeated attempts to align the blade. It is really annoying to me. I really don''t bother with either any more because there are many good razors that do not have to be fussed with every time you load a blade. Including in my experience the EJ 89 and V3A.

Great comparison. From my experiences with the DE89 and V3A, I agree wholeheartedly with you. The V3A was my first "aggressive razor" and is a great step up from the DE89 in aggressiveness and value.
Keep the great comparisons coming!!

I'm curious, Capisco -- Do you shave every day? I get great results with my Old Type, but I found it to be a bit too much for daily use. I will try a Fatip at some point, thanks for that review.
That's a great question buddy, given my like of aggressive razors & Feather blades.

My answer is, 'No'.

I shave every other day, and sometimes I even stretch it out to an occasional third day through happenstance, but very unhappily.

Since I started getting really great close shaves when I switched to DE, I got into skipping days seeing my beard on day two was reasonably socially acceptable. That never was the case previously, with my using disposables. I shaved every day with those, because I had to.

I do find my Piccolo is perplexing though, in that it is both extremely efficient AND extremely smooth as well! It's my smoothest razor, to be honest. I could use it every day, no problem. I'm not sure if I could say that of the V3A. However if anything, the only concern for everyday shaving with my Piccolo might be if using a Feather would be appropriate. That I don't know, but it might be.

But crazy as it sounds, the Piccolo is even smoother than my DE89. No idea how they pulled that off!

Just curious if you have alignment issues with your Piccolo? I have a Piccolo and a Schone, both require repeated attempts to align the blade. It is really annoying to me. I really don''t bother with either any more because there are many good razors that do not have to be fussed with every time you load a blade. Including in my experience the EJ 89 and V3A.
In short, yes I have to often manually align the blade in my Piccolo.

But I've got it down to a quick procedure, where I lay the head on the counter, drop the blade on, drop the base-plate on, then hold the head by the two locating pins as I very slightly snug the handle on, but only to the point where I can still take a cue-tip to push the blade on it's edges a bit to square it up. Then I tighten down the handle for good.

This sounds more complicate than it is, because it only takes me a few seconds at most.

I'd say I have to align the blade approximately half the time, for what it's worth.

Thanks, @Capisco Capisce. Great comparison and advice! Once again, I'm reminded that I'm going to have to try the Fatip Piccolo someday. :001_smile
I know you have a lot of experience with the DE89, as do I. I suspect you will find the Piccolo quite a bit smoother, with better glide too. For you and I, glide is an important factor, yet I barely see it mentioned. But rest assured, the Piccolo glides pretty well. I suspect that has to do with it being an open comb.

As to its smoothness, well there's next to no blade gap with a Piccolo! With that, I suspect I've got you sold. If not, perhaps pricing at under 20 bucks USD from Maggard's will!

Also, one thing I perhaps could have stressed a bit more in my impressions, was that the V3A is far harsher than the Piccolo, and a bit more-so than the DE89. It's bearable for me, and I don't find it killer harsh - but it's no Piccolo!

There may be other razors that don’t require much or any fussing, but they aren’t the Fatip Piccolo either!

For me, the value and shave of the Piccolo outweighs the extra 10 seconds of blade alignment.

Interesting comparison. Thanks for posting!
arsh enough that
For me a change in razor means that I need to revisit my blade choices to find the best combination!
Thanks!

I think I'll be dropping a GSB in the V3A, for the next blade change. My last V3A shave with Feather was a bit harsh. Not killer harsh, but harsh enough that it caught my attention. But I still love the sharpness & closeness of Feathers. My experience with GSB is that it's ultra smooth, which might tone a little of the V3A harshness out.

Great comparison. From my experiences with the DE89 and V3A, I agree wholeheartedly with you. The V3A was my first "aggressive razor" and is a great step up from the DE89 in aggressiveness and value.
Keep the great comparisons coming!!
Well, thanks!

It's great to see when other's impressions are in concert with what I believe I'm seeing. And yes, you are absolutely right in that the V3A experience is very much the DE89 experience, but with more aggression and more efficiency. I wish I discovered the V3A earlier, to be honest.

Following along the DE89/V3A Safety Bar motif, I think a comparison involving my Fatip Gentile might be appropriate. From my experience, I suspect it will be similar to slightly more efficient than the DE89, but significantly less efficient than the V3A. I also think the Gentile will be the smoothest of the three, and I already know it glides better than the DE89. Now that I think of it, I didn't pay particular attention, but the V3A seemed to glide pretty well; well enough, that I didn't notice anything about it.

my (relatively new to DE) experience re "closeness with comfort" with my razors - Fatip Piccolo > Fatip Gentile > DE89 > Baili BR171

All good and all still in work week rotation for a while longer. Vintage razor shave on a weekend (if I shave).

Last edited:
I know you have a lot of experience with the DE89, as do I. I suspect you will find the Piccolo quite a bit smoother, with better glide too. For you and I, glide is an important factor, yet I barely see it mentioned. But rest assured, the Piccolo glides pretty well. I suspect that has to do with it being an open comb.

As to its smoothness, well there's next to no blade gap with a Piccolo! With that, I suspect I've got you sold. If not, perhaps pricing at under 20 bucks USD from Maggard's will!

Also, one thing I perhaps could have stressed a bit more in my impressions, was that the V3A is far harsher than the Piccolo, and a bit more-so than the DE89. It's bearable for me, and I don't find it killer harsh - but it's no Piccolo!

Sounds great, @Capisco Capisce. You're probably right that the low blade gap helps make the Piccolo glide so well. I'm sure that I'll get around to trying the razor someday. I've heard too many good things from you and others to not give it a try. :001_smile

Sounds great, @Capisco Capisce. You're probably right that the low blade gap helps make the Piccolo glide so well. I'm sure that I'll get around to trying the razor someday. I've heard too many good things from you and others to not give it a try. :001_smile
Well, to get BOSC about it, I believe the high glide factor is a result of the Piccolo being Open Comb, meaning it has different drag characteristics, and allows some lather to remain on the skin as one shaves.

The smoothness I suspect, is a result of the lack of blade gap. The blade is clamped tight, and does not oscillate.

my (relatively new to DE) experience re "closeness with comfort" with my razors - Fatip Piccolo > Fatip Gentile > DE89 > Baili BR171

All good and all still in work week rotation for a while longer. Vintage razor shave on a weekend (if I shave).
I'm not familiar with the last razor on your list (Baili), but I very much concur with your order of the first three! I put the Piccolo at a far alone first, with the Gentile & DE89 quite far back, but closer to each other.

Top Bottom