What's new

Made My First Old Fashioned Tonight

Tonight I made my first Old Fashioned. I started another thread with a video from the NOLA bartender Chris McMillan and I used his recipe with minor deviations. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I&index=1&list=PLy-gmg_NQgmanGJDmw572d0-Qc3i5TDFI

Man this was wonderful!! I used George Dickel Rye, sugar cube, Peychaud bitters instead of Angostura, and left off the maraschino cherry. This was scary good.

Over the past few years I've been gravitating to "neat" with most of my liquors. This has reignited my interest in cocktails!!

Outstanding. The Old Fashioned is considered by many drink historians to be the "original cocktail". Although "cocktail" has come to mean any mixed drink (and some dreadful ones have come to pass), originally a cocktail was simply sugar, bitters and spirit, (usually a brown liquor, either whiskey or brandy). So, it's a spirit-centric drink, where you can actually taste the liquor, and that's the point. I was introduced to the OF as a young man by older men while on sporting ventures like fishing trips, pheasant hunts and elk camps. (For the record, the drinking always took place after dark, when the firearms were safely unloaded and cased.) I am still grateful that these guys tolerated my youthful foolishness and had the patience and willingness to show me a few of the finer things in life. I consider the OF to be one of those, for sure.

Thank you. I have had a few Old Fashioned's in the past, but have been making Manhatten's for the last while.

You have peaked my interest and I think I will mix up an OF this evening.

The video link was very informative. The muddling of the orange zest piece sounds like a very nice touch.

I cheat. I use Eli Mason Old Fashioned mix. Just two parts bourbon and one part mix and throw in a lime or lemon if you want and you have your cocktail. Easy and very good.

Sounds good. I didn't watch the video, but the ingredients list sounds an awful lot like a Sazarac, which is my favorite cocktail. Try that next time. Cheers!

Thank you. I have had a few Old Fashioned's in the past, but have been making Manhatten's for the last while.

You have peaked my interest and I think I will mix up an OF this evening.

The video link was very informative. The muddling of the orange zest piece sounds like a very nice touch.
After you have muddled the orange zest into the sugar/bitters mixture, do like Chris did in the video and take a whiff. It is divine!!

Sounds good. I didn't watch the video, but the ingredients list sounds an awful lot like a Sazarac, which is my favorite cocktail. Try that next time. Cheers!

This guy has a video on Sazaracs as well. I recommend that one in addition to the Old Fashioned vid. For simply a wonderful show, look up his video on the Mint Julep.

I haven't had an OF in two or three weeks ... that WILL be remedied this coming weekend.
I love to enable!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Peychaud bitters in an OF? Sacrilege! Save Peychaud for Sazerac, etc.

If you like the OF, you will probably like a Manhattan, too. Try the rocks version as well as the straight up version. I add a splash of soda when I am on a drinking marathon type thing.

Old Fashioneds are my favorite cocktail. I like making them with Gentleman Jack (although I don't much care for regular JD, I'm a true bourbon lover) because the maple really adds some depth.

Old Fashioneds are my favorite cocktail. I like making them with Gentleman Jack (although I don't much care for regular JD, I'm a true bourbon lover) because the maple really adds some depth.
I am definitely going to try it with a bourbon. I have to say though that I really liked the peppery feeling I got from the rye whiskey. Lots of room for comparisons!

Top Bottom