What's new

Machine oil stink on new blades?

Has anyone received new DE blades that stink of machine / cutting oil?

I just received a batch of Gillette Silver Blues and they stink to high heaven. Not sure if I should return them or what. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_175200932.jpeg
    PXL_20240409_175200932.jpeg
    736.4 KB · Views: 9
The only ones I’ve ever detected a smell of oil were cheap, no-name, Chinese made, dollar store ones. They smelled like used motor oil and I just tossed them.

Never had a Russian made Gillette blade that smelled before, but have never tried the Silver Blues.

To cure this issue, I would suggest putting the blade in your razor, then dipping it in rubbing alcohol to clean off the oil smell, and sanitize the blade.
That sounds like good advice. I haven't even tried the blades yet to see if they shave right or not. My hope is that they weren't completely missing some steps into manufacturing process.

I can't shave with any blade that has a strong machine oil smell as my skin reacts to the oil!

This is most problematic with blades from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Lord blades (Egypt I believe).

So I ordered a hundred more GSB from a different supplier and they have some smell too. Not as strong but still smelly.
The problem for me is that these blades seem pretty darn good shavers and I want to use them but...
Cleaning each blade before loading is going to be a pain in the butt.
I've never encountered smelly blades before.

Mine also came with a strong smell of machine oil. In fact, the packaging, instead of being white, has a yellowish tone and marks of splattered oil.
purchased from Maggard. Lot 1003104398747870

proxy.php

Mine also came with a strong smell of machine oil. In fact, the packaging, instead of being white, has a yellowish tone and marks of splattered oil.
purchased from Maggard. Lot 1003104398747870

proxy.php
Bummer, sorry to hear that. Seems like maybe something's going on here.

Edit: I'm just now realizing that both orders of blades I received have plain white paper inner wrappers, not like the ones you've got there.

Last edited:
Perhaps soaking them for a few minutes in rubbing alcohol or running them under hot tap water will do the trick?
I tried spraying them with alcohol but I needed to rub them with hand sani to get them them clean. Seems a bit more dangerous than I wish

I shave with Indian blades almost exclusively (thus far, will expand soon) but I haven't yet had a tuck that smelled of machine oil or had oil smears. Some times blades have wax dot smears and are a bit stickier than usual but haven't had noticed any other anomalies.

Has anyone received new DE blades that stink of machine / cutting oil?

I just received a batch of Gillette Silver Blues and they stink to high heaven. Not sure if I should return them or what. Any thoughts are appreciated.

In the Safety Razor Blades forum you will find a thread “Is this a FAKE Gillette Silber Blue?”

Post number 8 includes a comment from a user who is said to know more about Gillette blades than me (I don’t use them) that this smell is quite typical for these blades.
You might even take it as an indication that these are genuine Gillettes. :001_cool:

Hope this helps…

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom