What's new

Mach 3 - Finally Bought One

Used a Mach 3 for the 1st time today. As a long time Fusion Proglide user I must say it was a very nice shave. 2 pass BBS shave on a 1 day beard. I used Seiffenglatt soap with an Omega 10083 boar brush. Finished it off with Clubman Special Reserve.

I really like the sleekness of it. Much easier to use around the upper lip and the face overall. An excellent tool.

I tried one just for kicks several months ago. The one thing I don't like about those type of razors is the pivot. I feel I don't have control over my shave. I'm sure for some guys it's a plus.

My favorite cartridge razor. I have used all of the major systems/handles in the last 10 years. For me it's the best balance of price and performance. The 4 to 6 blade systems MAY be able to give you a slightly closer shave but I find them to be too bulky, clog too easily and are too expensive.

I started using a DE about a year ago. Before that, I tried many a cart razor. The Mach 3 was my razor of choice for many years. I recently began head shaving, so I pulled out the Mach 3 again. It does the job, I just wish the carts weren't so expensive. Thinking of trying a Schick 3 Xtreme.

My favorite cartridge razor. I have used all of the major systems/handles in the last 10 years. For me it's the best balance of price and performance. The 4 to 6 blade systems MAY be able to give you a slightly closer shave but I find them to be too bulky, clog too easily and are too expensive.

Agree with this, but considering one pass shave DE and mach 3 result is the same, only de is much sharper. I remember that after using a DE for sometime and than using M3 I was always shocked how less agressive is mach 3, since it's has 3 blades is OK. I have to say M3 is a good razor. I gave my handle along with cartridges (ofc unused) to my uncle who swears this is the best razor ever. He hates DE and electric razors and most of the disposables, he always gets cut.
So his combination is, and to some it may help in sense of cost and face regeneration. He buys pack of ST2 or Xtreme 3 sensitive and use them on a regular basis, but when he wants a closer shave mach 3 is the choice.

I started using a DE about a year ago. Before that, I tried many a cart razor. The Mach 3 was my razor of choice for many years. I recently began head shaving, so I pulled out the Mach 3 again. It does the job, I just wish the carts weren't so expensive. Thinking of trying a Schick 3 Xtreme.

Someone on the other thread mentioned a bic cartridges.
For me schick/wilkinson has better disposables than gillette, never shaved my head though only cutting it once a year without a guard on 1mm

Last edited:
I used to say that the Sensor Excel was my favorite cartridge followed by the Trac II, but it was recently dethroned by the Mach 3 after I compared them head-to-head. Maybe the Sensor cartridges I have are old, but they didn't shave as well as I remembered. My Mach 3 now gets the call more often than not; it's giving me truly excellent, fuss-free shaves.

M3 is a really great razor. I just had my 21st shave on an M3 cart and it is going strong.

It is a close call for me whether the M3 is the overall best cartridge razor, or whether it is the Feather Neo Mr3.

Just finished a head shave with a Shick Xtreme 3. It does not measure-up to the Mach 3. I am waiting for a Gillette Guard to arrive and I may eventually try the new Headblade Motto.

The Mach 3 gave me reasonably good results that no doubt would have been better if I used proper prep and good cream or soap, etc.
However, it was the expense of the carts that put me onto Harry's...which in turn was the gateway to traditional methods.

I purchased the 5 pack M3 carts on sale for $10 at Shoprite. Not expensive at all. If I can get 30 shaves out of a cart then it's a win. I always got 45-50 shaves out of a Fusion Proglide so getting 30 out of an M3 cart is an expected minimum for me.

Top Bottom