What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)

So i'm back with another monthly review. As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen razor, Henry Cavendish shave soap and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

For this month’s review, I’m looking at the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) blades. Now despite the name, these blades are apparently no longer actually produced in India. From what i could find, they’re now manufactured in China and shipped to India. They continue to retain the “India” part of the name because they remain part of Gillette India LTD even though production was outsourced to China.

They are available through the Gillette India website which gives scant information on them other than that they’re “triple coated” (with what?) and they “maintain their edge even longer than stainless steel blades.” Amazon lists the coating as PTFE which I assume is correct. I’m not a metallurgist so i’m not going to speculate what the blades are made out of, but it isn’t your typical “stainless” steel. I know enough to understand that “stainless” and “carbon” are just generic terms to differentiate the general class of metals, so i feel safe saying this most likely falls into the “carbon” steel variety. Anyone with a better knowledge of blade compisition can feel free to chime in.

With all that out of the way, the first thing i noticed is that these blades are SHARP. I was coming off using a ZAE blade (see my prior review) which was exceedingly dull; so switching over to these was a night and day difference. Unfortunately the result was the worst razor burn i’ve ever experienced. It made me understand what the term actually means because it truly felt like a sunburn instead of just irritation. Very unpleasant hahaha. But don’t take that entirely as a knock on these blades. The more shaves i had, the more accustomed i became and the better the result.

I was getting pretty consistant results after the 3rd shave and managed to get clean, close shaves every time. The sharpness of the blade really demanded a lot of attention to angle, pressure and grain so as a relative newbie to DE, it was a great learning experience.

With that said, most shaves produced one or two weepers around the most sensitive areas of my neck regardless of how careful i was. And unlike other blades i’ve tried both before and after the Gillette Wilkinson Sword, i was unable to do more than 2 passes on my neck without irritation. This prevented me from doing the 3rd touch up pass i usually do on my neck if i wanted to stay irritation free. I usually did it anyway and lived with it just to get a closer shave, but for me these blades were just a tad too sharp and lacking in smoothness.

Longevity on the Gillette Wilkinson Sword was excellent. To me there was no noticable dulling between shave 1 and shave 4, and i’m confident these blades could be used for quite awhile longer before they needed to be thrown away.

Consistancy was excellent as well. I didn’t notice any difference in sharpness or longevity between the two blades i used. Despite being made in china, it seems as if the manufacturing process is very solid. Price point is also extremely good at a mere $8.98 for 100 on amazon.

Overall, i’d give these blades a 7 out of 10. They were very sharp, durable and consistent; but they had just a little too much harshness for me to give them top marks. These would be great for someone who enjoys a sharp blade and wants something that is inexpensive and consistant. Those with sensitive skin might have some issues getting a BBS shave without irritation, but not enough to warrant staying away. I’d strongly recommmed trying these if you haven’t already.

Up next: Wilkinson Sword (German). I’ll probably post the next review fairly quickly as my forray into daily shaving has run me through more blades than normal. Until next time, happy shaving!

Definitely worth it. Not my favorite blade but i can understand why it would be for some people. It cuts through stubble very easily and if my face was a tad more resilient, i’d be considering buying them in bulk. Good luck!

I love them myself. But the ones I use say Saloon Pack on the box and they are indeed manfactured in India. Are you certain that you are using the China variant? This how mine look and they come 50 per box
proxy.php

proxy.php

132 Indian Rupees is equivalent to $1.97 USD in case anyone is curious.

I tossed my last blade after 9 shaves. So longevity is above the median.

They are available through the Gillette India website which gives scant information on them other than that they’re “triple coated” (with what?) and they “maintain their edge even longer than stainless steel blades.” Amazon lists the coating as PTFE which I assume is correct. I’m not a metallurgist so i’m not going to speculate what the blades are made out of, but it isn’t your typical “stainless” steel. I know enough to understand that “stainless” and “carbon” are just generic terms to differentiate the general class of metals, so i feel safe saying this most likely falls into the “carbon” steel variety. Anyone with a better knowledge of blade compisition can feel free to chime in.
As I understand it, the blurb about lasting longer than stainless steel blades is a reference to plain uncoated stainless steel blades, like Gillette India's own 365 blade.
This is definitely not a carbon steel blade.

Wow that’s interesting! I was under the impression that all production shifted to china around 2012-2013 but i guess not. I only purchased 2 blades from tryablade and they were listed as being the chinese variety. It is possible that they have 2 production facilities for that brand, but it seems odd unless the demand for them is huge. Here’s a pic of some that were manufactured in china:

If you notcie, the address for Gillette India LTD is similar but not the same on the two packages. Very odd. Wonder if anyone can shed some light on this one?
upload_2018-5-3_13-25-30.jpeg

So i did a little digging and it appears that there are actually two manufacturing facilities: 1 in Baddi, India and one in Shanghai, China. Both produce Gillette Wilkinson Sword. I can’t say with 100% certainty but from some cursory searching it appears both facilities are still operating. I’d be curious to see if anyone has any tucks manufactured in 2018?

As I understand it, the blurb about lasting longer than stainless steel blades is a reference to plain uncoated stainless steel blades, like Gillette India's own 365 blade.
This is definitely not a carbon steel blade.

But it also says they’re “triple coated”. So are you saying they’re PTFE coated but lack the “stainless” coating? And if so, what kind of steel does that make them?!

Yes identical wrapper. I really should start taking pictures of these before i post. I’ll start doing that from now on. From what i can tell, it seems there are 2 manufacturing facilities for this blade. I guess it’s luck of the draw which ones you get. Thanks again for posting this is pretty insteresting!

Very interesting indeed. I dont even see the Chinese ones offered for sale anywhere. THe ones on Ebay and Amazon are all the India variety. I never tried the China ones only the German and Indian (and prefer the Indian because they are cheaper with equal or better performance.

Had my 7th shave today on the India wilkie and its still sharp and smooth. Lets see if I can reach 10 shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So i'm back with another monthly review. As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen razor, Henry Cavendish shave soap and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

For this month’s review, I’m looking at the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) blades. Now despite the name, these blades are apparently no longer actually produced in India. From what i could find, they’re now manufactured in China and shipped to India. They continue to retain the “India” part of the name because they remain part of Gillette India LTD even though production was outsourced to China.

With all that out of the way, the first thing i noticed is that these blades are SHARP. I was coming off using a ZAE blade (see my prior review) which was exceedingly dull; so switching over to these was a night and day difference. Unfortunately the result was the worst razor burn i’ve ever experienced. It made me understand what the term actually means because it truly felt like a sunburn instead of just irritation. Very unpleasant hahaha. But don’t take that entirely as a knock on these blades. The more shaves i had, the more accustomed i became and the better the result.

I was getting pretty consistant results after the 3rd shave and managed to get clean, close shaves every time. The sharpness of the blade really demanded a lot of attention to angle, pressure and grain so as a relative newbie to DE, it was a great learning experience.

With that said, most shaves produced one or two weepers around the most sensitive areas of my neck regardless of how careful i was. And unlike other blades i’ve tried both before and after the Gillette Wilkinson Sword, i was unable to do more than 2 passes on my neck without irritation. This prevented me from doing the 3rd touch up pass i usually do on my neck if i wanted to stay irritation free. I usually did it anyway and lived with it just to get a closer shave, but for me these blades were just a tad too sharp and lacking in smoothness.

Longevity on the Gillette Wilkinson Sword was excellent. To me there was no noticable dulling between shave 1 and shave 4, and i’m confident these blades could be used for quite awhile longer before they needed to be thrown away.

Consistancy was excellent as well. I didn’t notice any difference in sharpness or longevity between the two blades i used. Despite being made in china, it seems as if the manufacturing process is very solid. Price point is also extremely good at a mere $8.98 for 100 on amazon.

Overall, i’d give these blades a 7 out of 10. They were very sharp, durable and consistent; but they had just a little too much harshness for me to give them top marks. These would be great for someone who enjoys a sharp blade and wants something that is inexpensive and consistant. Those with sensitive skin might have some issues getting a BBS shave without irritation, but not enough to warrant staying away. I’d strongly recommmed trying these if you haven’t already.

Up next: Wilkinson Sword (German). I’ll probably post the next review fairly quickly as my forray into daily shaving has run me through more blades than normal. Until next time, happy shaving!
Very good review of that blade I was considering purchasing.

But it also says they’re “triple coated”. So are you saying they’re PTFE coated but lack the “stainless” coating? And if so, what kind of steel does that make them?!
Not exactly.
Gillette's 365 blade (their cheapest offering) is made of stainless steel without any coating.
Their Wilkinson blades are also made of stainless steel, and are additionally triple coated with PTFE.

Here is a list of Gillette DE blade offerings in India -
ranked in decreasing order of price & quality.
Current exchange rate 66.68.
Costings based on retail price for pack of 5. (Pack of 6 for 365 blade)
  1. 7 o'clock Super Platinum (Black)..............Rs 11 ....(16.4 cents) per piece
  2. 7 o'clock Permasharp stainless (Green)....Rs 6 .....(8.9 cents) ...per piece
  3. Wilkinson Sword......................................Rs 3 .....(4.5 cents) ...per piece
  4. 365 DE blades.........................................Rs 2.50 (3.7 cents) .. per piece

Last edited:
Not exactly.
Gillette's 365 blade (their cheapest offering) is made of stainless steel without any coating.
Their Wilkinson blades are also made of stainless steel, and are additionally triple coated with PTFE.

Here is a list of Gillette DE blade offerings in India -
ranked in decreasing order of price & quality.
Current exchange rate 66.68.
Costings based on retail price for pack of 5. (Pack of 6 for 365 blade)
  1. 7 o'clock Super Platinum (Black)..............Rs 11 ....(16.4 cents) per piece
  2. 7 o'clock Permasharp stainless (Green)....Rs 6 .....(8.9 cents) ...per piece
  3. Wilkinson Sword......................................Rs 3 .....(4.5 cents) ...per piece
  4. 365 DE blades.........................................Rs 2.50 (3.7 cents) .. per piece

Interesting. I assumed it wasn’t stainless because it said: “sharper than stainless”. If it’s made of stainless steel then they’re implying it’s sharper than itself hahaha. I guess it’s just poorly worded. Thanks for clarifying!

So i did a little digging and it appears that there are actually two manufacturing facilities: 1 in Baddi, India and one in Shanghai, China. Both produce Gillette Wilkinson Sword. I can’t say with 100% certainty but from some cursory searching it appears both facilities are still operating. I’d be curious to see if anyone has any tucks manufactured in 2018?

Thanks for the information! This is not the least bit confusing!!! :a13::a13:

(They must have trained with Personna!)

Interesting. I assumed it wasn’t stainless because it said: “sharper than stainless”. If it’s made of stainless steel then they’re implying it’s sharper than itself hahaha. I guess it’s just poorly worded. Thanks for clarifying!
Presumably they mean that its sharper than plain uncoated stainless.

I’ve decided to email p&g to get a straight answer on whether the blades are now made in china or in both india and china. I’ll update this thread if/when i get a response.

So P&G actually returned my email with a pretty definitive answer. The email is pasted below in full. Also, they confirmed the blades are stainless steel coated (Like Try em all stated) despite the weird wording that they’re “sharper than stainless” on their website. So i’m not sure how to account for the different packaging but according to gillette india, all the blades are imported from china. If anyone thinks i should ask some follow up questions let me know!

Hello Joe,

Greetings from Gillette!

Thank you for showing interest in Gillette. I am pleased to address your query about Gillette Wilkinson blades. I hope your experience with the blades was pleasant.

I would like to inform you that the Gillette Wilkinson blades are being imported from China for distribution purposes in India. They are not manufactured in India.

The designing of Gillette is in order to make them extremely resistant to staining and rust. However, like any steel, the blades can rust if:
1. They are in hot, moist conditions during shipping and handling; or
2. Stored in a moist place.

The stainless steel is applied as a coating on the blades and cartridges.

In case of anything else, please feel free to reply to this email without changing the subject line. You can also reach us at 022-24942113(Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 6 PM).

I would really appreciate if you could please spare 1 minute from your precious time & fill up a feedback survey. You would be receiving a small survey shortly. Please fill the same so that we may improve our products and services. This survey will help you to rate us for the services rendered by me (Question 1-5) and for our products (Question 6 to 10). There are 5 smileys(faces) wherein the 5th Smiley at the extreme right side represents 'Very Happy'.

I hope that this addresses your query and I wish to see you as a happy consumer of Gillette.

Thanks & Regards,
Saloni
Consumer Relations
Gillette, India
ref:_00D80PUz7._500801AReey:ref

So P&G actually returned my email with a pretty definitive answer. The email is pasted below in full. Also, they confirmed the blades are stainless steel coated (Like Try em all stated) despite the weird wording that they’re “sharper than stainless” on their website. So i’m not sure how to account for the different packaging but according to gillette india, all the blades are imported from china. If anyone thinks i should ask some follow up questions let me know!

Hello Joe,

Greetings from Gillette!

Thank you for showing interest in Gillette. I am pleased to address your query about Gillette Wilkinson blades. I hope your experience with the blades was pleasant.

I would like to inform you that the Gillette Wilkinson blades are being imported from China for distribution purposes in India. They are not manufactured in India.

The designing of Gillette is in order to make them extremely resistant to staining and rust. However, like any steel, the blades can rust if:
1. They are in hot, moist conditions during shipping and handling; or
2. Stored in a moist place.

The stainless steel is applied as a coating on the blades and cartridges.

In case of anything else, please feel free to reply to this email without changing the subject line. You can also reach us at 022-24942113(Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 6 PM).

I would really appreciate if you could please spare 1 minute from your precious time & fill up a feedback survey. You would be receiving a small survey shortly. Please fill the same so that we may improve our products and services. This survey will help you to rate us for the services rendered by me (Question 1-5) and for our products (Question 6 to 10). There are 5 smileys(faces) wherein the 5th Smiley at the extreme right side represents 'Very Happy'.

I hope that this addresses your query and I wish to see you as a happy consumer of Gillette.

Thanks & Regards,
Saloni
Consumer Relations
Gillette, India
ref:_00D80PUz7._500801AReey:ref
She doesn't know what she's talking about.
'Stainless' is not a coating: its the basic steel the blade is made out of. PTFE/Teflon is applied on the blades as a coating after the blade has been sharpened. It acts as a lubricant to make the blade smoother

I had always assumed the “stainless” part of stainless steel was a plating (like how brass razors are plated) and not a part of the inherent steel itself. Hence, i glossed over her answer as a language barrier thing. I thought her meaning was that the blades are plated. Clearly i was wrong and she’s probably just reciting a prepared answer that appeases people (like me) who don’t know much about metal.

The question now is can her answer on the manufacturing part be trusted? I sent some follow up questions regarding when the production was moved to china, why the boxes are labeled differently etc. I’ll post again when i get the response.

Top Bottom