What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)

So below is P&G’s second reply. Conpletely contradics the first, but it leads me to believe that these blades are indeed made in both India and China. Unfortunately it seems like luck of the draw when you order them which ones you’re getting. I bought my blades from tryablade.com where they’re listed as being manufactured in India. I’m going to go ahead and say that the blades i reviewed ARE in fact from India and not China like i had previously stated, but without the box i can’t be sure. Anyway glad i could muddy the waters on this topic!

Hello Joe,

Greetings of the day!

I am glad to share the details with you in order to address your concern. I have followed up with the team and gathered the following information-

1) Our Gillette products are manufactured in both China & India.
2) Also, the Gillette Wilkinson blades are made of stainless steel. The sharpness of the blade helps with a smooth close shave.

Hope this information answers your query. In case of anything else, please feel free to reply to this email without changing the subject line. You can also reach us at 022-24942113 (Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 6 PM).

I would really appreciate if you could please spare 1 minute from your precious time & fill up a feedback survey. You would be receiving a small survey shortly. Please fill the same so that we may improve our products and services. This survey will help you to rate us for the services rendered by me (Question 1-5) and for our products (Question 6 to 10). There are 5 smileys(faces) wherein the 5th Smiley at the extreme right side represents 'Very Happy'.

Wish you a great day!

Thanks,
Saloni
Consumer Relations
P&G, India

She's in Bombay, as am I.
Local call. But no point in calling- she doesn't seem to know anything.

All my Wilkinson blades have 'made in China ' printed on the pack.
Seems to me that if they were making them in India, at least some of my packs should have been made in India.

Sent from my #!@☆¤¿ phone using Tapatalk

I get mine for $9 sgd for 100 blades here in singapore. I buy it off the shelf in Little India. Pretty good blades, almost on par with The Russian-made Gillette Platinums. The Indian-made Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinums (black) are the best so far amongst those i've tried, with GP coming in at 2nd, and these Wilkinsons coming in 3rd. I get at least 6 days of head and face shaves out of these.

And oh yes, mine are Made in India.

20180927_113225.jpg

I saw these for sale in Singapore a week ago. They are made in India and sold in 50 pieces saloon pack.

But I didn't buy them because I wasn't sure how they would perform. I didn't want to end up with 49 pieces of blades I cant use or hate.

I get mine for $9 sgd for 100 blades here in singapore. I buy it off the shelf in Little India. Pretty good blades, almost on par with The Russian-made Gillette Platinums. The Indian-made Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinums (black) are the best so far amongst those i've tried, with GP coming in at 2nd, and these Wilkinsons coming in 3rd. I get at least 6 days of head and face shaves out of these.

View attachment 915655

They also hold my 3rd place spot as well. Thus far i have Viking Sword as #1, Voshkod as #2 and the india Wilkinson Sword at 3. Definitely a great blade in my opinion.

They also hold my 3rd place spot as well. Thus far i have Viking Sword as #1, Voshkod as #2 and the india Wilkinson Sword at 3. Definitely a great blade in my opinion.
How does this fair against the Astra sp and Gillette platinum? I feel the Astra isn't sharp enough in my slant. Gillette platinum is great.

How does this fair against the Astra sp and Gillette platinum? I feel the Astra isn't sharp enough in my slant. Gillette platinum is great.

Wish i could tell you. I bought 30 blades from tryablade and i’m only through 13 currently. I’m going in reverse alphabetical order so the Gillette’s are still pretty far off and the Astra is literally the last blade i’m going to try. I bought 2 of each blade so it takes me about 3 weeks to get through a single brand. I’m sure people here can help though.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Finally got around to trying this blade and they are sharp and Smooth and got about 6 shaves out of the blade, I don't go past 6 shaves on a blade usally unless it is a Schick SE.

A while back I did a review on all three blades.... India, China & German Wilkie blades. These three were all smooth to me but, the German & Chinese Wilkies had more lasting shave power than the Indian ones for me. Also, you can easily tell if the blade is China made by the large 3 on one side of the blade.

I finally got around to ordering 100 of the Chinese and am loving them. Ask and Maggard.can supply though they are not separately listed.
A while back I did a review on all three blades.... India, China & German Wilkie blades. These three were all smooth to me but, the German & Chinese Wilkies had more lasting shave power than the Indian ones for me. Also, you can easily tell if the blade is China made by the large 3 on one side of the blade.

I'll try to cover some more ground here with general assistance coming from a fairly senior P&G sales guy.
1. Wilkies (retail pucks and saloon variants) were once only made in India; are now out sourced to China.
2. India have two facilities as noted above. (i) Bhiwadi is oldest facility dedicated to imported stocks, including mach 3 lines and other similar assortments. (ii) Baddi is newer plant dedicated to only indigenous products. Both Old spice original and Lime + Gillette creams (all variants) are made here. Indian Gillette Permasharp and Blacks are made here too. Sometime when facility face over production on green and Blacks they do make Wilkies but only in saloon packs not retail pucks of 5 blades. (though quality wise the saloon packs are not as good as old stock of retail pucks of India made wilkies).

Sorry I hit the submit button too early.
So Baddi plant also bottle the Old Spice aftershave: Lime and Original.
They also make saloon packs of Gillette green and bonus packs of Blacks of 5+2 tucks. Like anywhere else, Gillette India is not handing free lunches. Any saloon pack or bonus extra tucks are not the same stuff you buy as retail tucks. So buyer beware and I agree with that caveat.
Regardless, new taxation have made blades even more cheaper here and now I can buy a tuck of 10 for ₹55 against 5 for ₹45 earlier.
eBay seller are adjusting their prices too and this probably best time to get them Gillette Blacks in 100s.

View attachment 915655
I have exactly the same blades as in your picture and used one for the first time today in my Fatip Piccolo.
The shave was a DFS+ and I'm delighted as the shave was smooth and efficient. Great blade!

Top Bottom