What's new

Macaroni & Cheese: King of Comfort Foods

I really can't think of a more perfect food. It doesn't matter if there's a snowstorm outside or if the heat index is in the triple digits, I'll sit down to some piping hot Macaroni & Cheese.

I like a few variations on the theme, sometimes miniature smoked sausages get put in, other times baked with the crumb topping, hell, sometimes even the blue box special. Either way, I just can't get enough of it.

So, how do you like yours? Recipes, additions, variations, let's have them!

Since it reminds me so much of childhood, I tend to eat it straight up plain. The only "Grown Up" thing I'll do sometimes is slather on the hot sauce. Otherwise, it stays in the original "comfort food" configuration. :thumbup1:

Mac and Cheese is my go-to comfort food as well. My grandmother used to make Kraft mac and cheese for me when I was really little, and I'd eat the entire box in short order. It was something special, because when I was little my parents didn't get Kraft, they got various organic brands that were never quite as good (though Hain brand was amazing, and then it went out of production.)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Talk about classic comfort food. I make it very infrequently, but when I do I like to start with a bechamel- flour and butter cooked to a blonde roux, add milk and some heavy cream, whisk until thick; grate in as much cheese as it will take; add par cooked elbow mac; transfer to au gratin dish, cover with more cheese, and bake. If it has less than eight million calories, you've done something wrong.:tongue_sm

Talk about classic comfort food. I make it very infrequently, but when I do I like to start with a bechamel- flour and butter cooked to a blonde roux, add milk and some heavy cream, whisk until thick; grate in as much cheese as it will take; add par cooked elbow mac; transfer to au gratin dish, cover with more cheese, and bake. If it has less than eight million calories, you've done something wrong.:tongue_sm
Which cheeses? I use Gruyere, Muenster, Sharp Cheddar, Fresh Mozzarella, Gouda and Velveeta.

I had some from the blue box the other day, added in some browned ground chuck........big cup full of iced tea......mighty good eatin.

Since it reminds me so much of childhood, I tend to eat it straight up plain. The only "Grown Up" thing I'll do sometimes is slather on the hot sauce. Otherwise, it stays in the original "comfort food" configuration. :thumbup1:

Now we're talking comfort food baby......yes!!!!

Whatever - Kraft Dinner is the ultimate comfort food, acceptable variations include the addition of frozen peas and/or cut up hot dog! I almost never make KD, but it definitely brings back memories of being a poor university student

On the more gourmet side, I do exactly the same thing you do (minus the heavy cream) for the sauce and serve it over gnocchi - its my son's absolute favourite meal in the whole world - doesn't hurt that I call it grub pasta. Its totally spoiled him for the packaged stuff.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Which cheeses? I use Gruyere, Muenster, Sharp Cheddar, Fresh Mozzarella, Gouda and Velveeta.

That's precisely the beauty of it- use whateva ya gots.

Your combo (assuming you have all of those on hand at once) sounds very nice. :thumbup1:

Whatever - Kraft Dinner is the ultimate comfort food, acceptable variations include the addition of frozen peas and/or cut up hot dog! I almost never make KD, but it definitely brings back memories of being a poor university student

On the more gourmet side, I do exactly the same thing you do (minus the heavy cream) for the sauce and serve it over gnocchi - its my son's absolute favourite meal in the whole world - doesn't hurt that I call it grub pasta. Its totally spoiled him for the packaged stuff.

Interesting!
I haven't made gnocchi in awhile. It's always a messy business.

"Blue Box" white cheddar variation, with grated mozzarella, chopped Danish deli ham, and sliced jalapenos added. Garnish with Tabasco and dive in!

NANP™

Interesting!
I haven't made gnocchi in awhile. It's always a messy business.

That's where I cheat - I buy the stuff in the package. Not as good as homemade, but still pretty darn good. For fun I sometimes get the tricolour stuff. If I get a chance, I'll buy fresh from a local vendor who sells fresh pasta.

The cheese sauce/gnocchi combo is pretty heavy/filling so it's perfect for a cold winter day.

In terms of cheese, I use whatever is on hand, but will always include one sharp/old cheese. My other favourite addition is locally-produced goat or sheep milk brie - just fantastic stuff that I can fortunately buy directly from the woman who makes it.

That's where I cheat - I buy the stuff in the package. Not as good as homemade, but still pretty darn good. For fun I sometimes get the tricolour stuff. If I get a chance, I'll buy fresh from a local vendor who sells fresh pasta.

The cheese sauce/gnocchi combo is pretty heavy/filling so it's perfect for a cold winter day.

In terms of cheese, I use whatever is on hand, but will always include one sharp/old cheese. My other favourite addition is locally-produced goat or sheep milk brie - just fantastic stuff that I can fortunately buy directly from the woman who makes it.

I may give this a try today!
I can't beleive you have a woman that makes sheep milk brie locally. That's outstanding!

The Italian market I go too makes them, maybe ill give them a try.
Making them is fun, but time consuming.

My mom makes a very simple one that's just incredible.
Basically toss the cooked macaroni with flour and grated extra old cheddar , then pour over a few cups of milk, top with more extra old cheddar and bake it up.

Straight up or sometimes with plain old Heinz Ketchup.

Now I'm drooling.

Top Bottom