What's new

Mac Baren 'baccy and Escudo-opinions?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Went to Tulsa the other day as Mom was in the hospital (had a stroke, but she's okay now; we took her home while we were up there), and I hit a couple of tobacco shops while there.

I remembered there was a 'baccy shop in Utica Square, and it had apparently moved to a different location in the Square since I was last in there in the '70s, but I found it...Ted's Pipe Shoppe.

I told the tobacconist that I was looking for some Escudo, or a VaPer blend. He said he didn't have any Escudo, but recommended the Mature Virginia. I did pick up an ounce of the bulk flake he had.

The next day I went to The Tobacco Pouch at 61st and Yale; they have a nice looking cigar lounge in the back. The tobacconist there pointed me to some bulk Acadian Perique as he also didn't have any Escudo. He also went to the jar of bulk Mature Virginia but he was about out. I picked up an ounce of the Acadian...and the guy put what looked like an ounce and a quarter in the bag. He said if I found that I didn't like it I could sell or trade it as a full ounce. Nice guy!

After I got home I tried the Acadian Perique first. It is good, but didn't seem to taste much perique in it.

Tried the Mature Virginia flake the next day. It was good also, but I think I like the Acadian Perique a little better. I rubbed it out and let it dry for about 45 minutes, but i still had a hard time keeping it lit...about like 1792. It also didn't have the vitamin N kick to it that I've come to associate with flake.

Can anyone tell me how these compare to Escudo? And I know, tastes are subjective. Looks like I'm going to have to order a tin of Escudo.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think you'll have to order some Escudo and tell us. In addition to the whole YMMV thing, Perique acts differently in different blends. I don't think you could taste the component tobaccos of a given blend separately and get an accurate idea as to how they would taste when blended together, the whole being greater (or at least different) than the sum of its parts.

I think you'll have to order some Escudo and tell us. In addition to the whole YMMV thing, Perique acts differently in different blends. I don't think you could taste the component tobaccos of a given blend separately and get an accurate idea as to how they would taste when blended together, the whole being greater (or at least different) than the sum of its parts.

Excellent observation. :thumbup1:

(OP - Escudo rocks, BTW.)

Top Bottom