What's new

Lucky Tiger Lathering (Photo Heavy)

In my recent thread about Shaving Cream Acquisitions, a couple of folks asked about the lather from the Lucky Tiger Cream Shave. Well I'll admit the following first and then show you what I got out of it:

1) I suck at lathering.
2) I have very hard water.
3) I have a 2 year old Tweezerman brush that is tired and cranky.

So keep the following in mind while viewing the photos.

It started with about a nickel sized amount of cream (and a soaked brush):
View attachment 139163
After about 20 Swirls:
View attachment 139164
After about 100 Swirls (you can see we aren't really getting anywhere and it looks very thin). At this point I added about a dime size more cream to the mix:
View attachment 139165
After about 100 more Swirls, the loaded brush:
View attachment 139166
And the bowl:
View attachment 139167

And then I lathered my face. And it seemed a bit runny yet kept drying up on my face. First pass with a Blue Tip and Feather wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

So I threw the lather out and decided to try a second time. This time, a quarter size of cream:
View attachment 139168
Brush after about 50 swirls:
View attachment 139169
Bowl:
View attachment 139170
At this point I began adding a few large drops of water at a time and continuing mixing. After an unknown number of swirls and about 15-20 big drops of water, the brush:
View attachment 139171
And the bowl:
View attachment 139172
I proceeded to lather for my second pass noticing that the lather was EVEN DRIER than the first batch. This stuff dried on my face over and over, despite adding water by dipping the brush and attacking it. And yes, I was left with some burn and probably will get some new ingrowns out of this. This leads me to suspect one of the following is the case:

1) The cream is so moist to begin with that it cannot take additional water.
-or-
2) The cream is extremely water hungry and I didn't go NEAR the amount of water required
-or-
3) It was designed to be a brushless, hand lathered cream, and can't take being mixed with a brush. Would probably go hand in hand with number 1.

Any thoughts on what might have happened? I enjoyed the scent very much but the lather and shave left something to be desired.

I may be wrong, but I thought all Lucky Tiger shaving creams were meant to be brushless. If so, you will not get be able to get a good lather from it.

I may be wrong, but I thought all Lucky Tiger shaving creams were meant to be brushless. If so, you will not get be able to get a good lather from it.

I would have thought so but I swear someone else mentioned this stuff explodes with lather when you hit the right ratio. I did get lather, it was just dry and thin. That giveth me hope, however, with future experimentation.

I still have Over half of a tub of the original brush cream and it does take a little more water to make a cream that gives cushion yet won't be hard to rinse from your razor. It works great with glycerine soaps to make a superlather. I use an almond sized amount either way and my water is basically soft.

Clayton

I would have thought so but I swear someone else mentioned this stuff explodes with lather when you hit the right ratio. I did get lather, it was just dry and thin. That giveth me hope, however, with future experimentation.

it does. its not like Tobs or any of the other type creams..the sample i had it comes out like KMF..kinda thin slimy stuff..and KMF is brushless to but hit the Lucky Tiger with some water and a brush and bam..thick thick lather. id like to buy a bottle but i just cant seem to let go of $15 for it. i guess because when i think about that kind of money i think of getting some Taylors for a buck or two cheaper. end the end the Lucky is some good stuff. iirc kinda smelled like a creamsicle with nice citrus smell.

are you using this stuff?:

proxy.php

This is one of the first creams I used, and it's still one of my favorites.

I found that it is indeed water hungry, and when you've added the perfect amount it is rather explosive. This cream, followed by the Lucky Tiger aftershave/tonic is an amazing combination in the summer.

This is one of the first creams I used, and it's still one of my favorites.

I found that it is indeed water hungry, and when you've added the perfect amount it is rather explosive. This cream, followed by the Lucky Tiger aftershave/tonic is an amazing combination in the summer.

How was the end result? Was it a thick lather and creamy or was it a bit on the thin side and runny but very well hydrated? My first batch was actually pretty slick as long as it retained its hydration, but some areas dried up on me.

are you using this stuff?:

proxy.php

I'm interested to find out how to lather this cream. I have a bottle hidden somewhere but have never bothered to use it since I have so many others. I do use other Lucky Tiger products and find them a very good value. I really like the face wash and after shave tonic.

I used this stuff for years, as a brushless cream. Actually, it goes on like a lotion. It was a very efficient way to shave in the shower - single pass with the cartridge du jour. And a single bottle would last me for about a year. It was the best thing I used with a cartridge. But I had the same experience trying to lather it with a brush. I have moved on since taking up a safety razor.

Ohhh...I intend to get it to lather. That song comes to mind..."and whip it...whip it good!"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom