What's new

Lubricating electric shaver?

Hi, gents.

After using my Braun TravelGo 370 electric shaver on and off for about 25 years, I decided to do some maintenance. I bought a new foil and blade set and a small tube of Braun lube oil. I know how to replace the foil and the blades, but where on the shaver do I apply the oil. On top of the blades? On the plastic holder for the blades? Under it? Somewhere else internal? How much oil should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, gents.

After using my Braun TravelGo 370 electric shaver on and off for about 25 years, I decided to do some maintenance. I bought a new foil and blade set and a small tube of Braun lube oil. I know how to replace the foil and the blades, but where on the shaver do I apply the oil. On top of the blades? On the plastic holder for the blades? Under it? Somewhere else internal? How much oil should I use?

Thanks in advance.
Place a small amount of light machine oil on the screen. According to Braun, if you clean the shaver under running water, or shave wet, then you should lubricate it to prevent corrosion of the screen and cutters. If you use and clean it dry, by just brushing out the clippings, then no lubricant is needed nor recommended. I have been using Braun shavers since the early 1970s, when they were all designed to be plugged into the AC and couldn’t be used or cleaned wet. Braun never mentioned anything about lubricants until they were battery powered and could be used and cleaned with water. Braun shavers don’t operate while plugged into the AC for safety purposes. I never allow any water to touch my shaver and don’t apply any lubricant to the screen.

BTW, I get very close comfortable shaves using the shaver first thing when arising before showering or washing my face. Also, Braun recommends replacing the cutters and screens every 18 months. I replace mine when the shaves are no longer close or comfortable. I purchased it in April 2019 and replaced the cutter/screen cassette in the spring of 2023.

Amazingly thorough and helpful answer!

My shaver uses non-rechargeable batteries and is safe to rinse. I’ll follow your routine.

Braun lube oil = over the counter mineral oil. A small drop or two up top mid of the fouls is fine. I’ve had a Series 7 for a decade. Only on 3rd set of foils (anbout $35 on Amazon) and it works great. Best shave with an electric you will ever get is taking it into a steaming shower with a $7 tube of Cremo. If you wet shave, simply pop the cap and let the shower blast out the shave cream and whiskers when you are done, and let it dry. Oil if you will use it dry next time. Otherwise, as already stated, the water and shave cream will lubricate it just fine when wet shaving. I had recently researched these questions as well in the last two years.

The idiot-me- who owned a Series 7 for 8 years before discovering how awesome it works wet, with shaving cream……

Th
Braun lube oil = over the counter mineral oil. A small drop or two up top mid of the fouls is fine. I’ve had a Series 7 for a decade. Only on 3rd set of foils (anbout $35 on Amazon) and it works great. Best shave with an electric you will ever get is taking it into a steaming shower with a $7 tube of Cremo. If you wet shave, simply pop the cap and let the shower blast out the shave cream and whiskers when you are done, and let it dry. Oil if you will use it dry next time. Otherwise, as already stated, the water and shave cream will lubricate it just fine when wet shaving. I had recently researched these questions as well in the last two years.

The idiot-me- who owned a Series 7 for 8 years before discovering how awesome it works wet, with shaving cream……
Thanks for the advice On the wet shaving. If I ever retire and have extra time on my hands I will try a wt shave. However, then I will have to buy a can of light machine oil to lubricate the screens and cutter cassette. 🤔

I always lubricate my razors after a wet shave. It certainly doesn't do any harm and probably extends the life of both the foils and cutters. I use Ballistol which is a gun oil with unusual properties. It does not bead in water...it emulsifies so if the razor is not completely dry before it is added....the emulsion dries out giving complete lubrication and protection to the metal parts

You'll want to put a drop or two directly onto the metal blades themselves. Avoid overdoing it, as you don't want excess oil gunking up the works.

You'll want to put a drop or two directly onto the metal blades themselves. Avoid overdoing it, as you don't want excess oil gunking up the works.
Braun’s instruction manual only recommends having to put a couple of drops of light machine oil on the screens if you shave wet. I never shave wet and therefore lubrication is unnecessary. The lubrication is not designed to make the shaver run more smoothly, but to prevent corrosion from the water while the head cassette dries.

I have been shaving with screen type shavers since 1973. Obviously, the original screen type shavers plugged into the wall and were not rechargeable. Therefore you couldn’t shave wet, unless you wanted to electrocute yourself. I never lubricated any of those shavers and they lasted for many years by just replacing the screens and the cutters. The Panasonic shavers don’t require lubrication because their screens and cutters are made from stainless steel. They are expensive to replace, but they don’t corrode.

The shaver industry has figured out that NiCad battery shavers can be designed to shave wet. Also they discovered that they could make extra profit by designing and sell Cleaning stations. These not only clean the shaver, but also they lubricate the heads To prevent corrosion. Of course this makes the shaver industry executives happy because they can sell you the cleaning station fluid which has to be replaced.

Not only don’t I have room in my bathroom for a cleaning station, but I don’t want to spend money on them or the fluid. I just tap out the cuttings after each shave, brush them from the top of the shaver onto a piece of toilet paper, and I’m done in about a minute. It’s worked well for 40 years, so why change now.

I always lubricate my razors after a wet shave. It certainly doesn't do any harm and probably extends the life of both the foils and cutters. I use Ballistol which is a gun oil with unusual properties. It does not bead in water...it emulsifies so if the razor is not completely dry before it is added....the emulsion dries out giving complete lubrication and protection to the metal parts
Several threads on the forum regarding this, but yes, any moving metal parts in close contact will benefit from lubrication both for function and longevity. Ballistol is primarily mineral oil, which has literally been used for centuries for preserving and lubricating high-carbon steel (witness Japanese katanas over 500 years old that look like the day they were forged, preserved only with choji oil - mineral oil with a fraction of clove oil added). Razor lubricants should be 1) inorganic (no olive oil, vegetable oil or any other inorganic oil that can turn rancid), and 2) have good lubricity and low viscosity.

Unsigned Shigaseki from the Muromachi period (c 1520s):

proxy.php

You're in good company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom