What's new

Lowest grit stone you can consistently get a shave-ready edge with?

Coticules are borderline for me. I’ve never had much better than “meh” from a coticule and I’ve had a few. Not chasing anymore. I’m sure that unicorns exist and that others can coax more out of them but all roads end in Arkansas around here. I find them better suited to the role of pre-finisher. In a pinch they would do.

Synth no more than 1 micron. Never felt the need to test the lower boundary as I have higher grit stones available. The 20k Suehiro is too good for me to want to stop short.

Last edited:
I must’ve been very lucky with natural stones.
I’ve never bought one which I couldn’t get a great shave from.
Each one took me a while to decode but I get great shaves from slates, coticule, jnat, Ark, even a couple of stones I found near on beaches and rivers.
I don’t have many stones, two slates, one coti, one jnat, one ark but all feel nice, all cut close, you chaps may have different standards/different faces than me but that’s just my experience.
I don’t know what grit rating they’d approximate.
I’ve used lapping films and a Naniwa 12k in the past, they always felt ‘stingier’, not sure if that equates to more or less sharp.

I must’ve been very lucky with natural stones.
I’ve never bought one which I couldn’t get a great shave from.
Each one took me a while to decode but I get great shaves from slates, coticule, jnat, Ark, even a couple of stones I found near on beaches and rivers.
I don’t have many stones, two slates, one coti, one jnat, one ark but all feel nice, all cut close, you chaps may have different standards/different faces than me but that’s just my experience.
I don’t know what grit rating they’d approximate.
I’ve used lapping films and a Naniwa 12k in the past, they always felt ‘stingier’, not sure if that equates to more or less sharp.
It's the hand that holds the steel, not the stone underneath.

Top Bottom