Love it or hate it

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I seem to be drawn to items that polarize people;
Lilac Vegetal, Williams Shaving Soap

and

Durian Fruit.

It's a taste that is appreciated at the back of the mouth not the front, and god knows you shouldn't drink any carbonated beverages within hours of eating Durian, but I am positively a fan.

Anyone else out there love or hate Durian?

If you like it - can you describe why?

If you hate it, is it the smell, or the texture or what?

I love the stuff, but SWMBO thinks it is foul. I wish it was available in the States (if it is and I am mistaken, please tell me where I can get it).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The smell is pretty bad, and I think that most people have trouble getting past the idea that something that smells bad could taste good.
Hotels in Asia have signs posted saying Durian is not permitted inside the hotel.
The longer it is open, the worse it smells.
A picture of said glorious fruit, though all of the ones I have had have been a much more brown color on the outside than the one shown.

Last edited:
This fruit has the appearance of the human brain. Although I've never tried this particular delicacy, I can definately relate to the binary reaction that your choices elicit from others. :huh:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This fruit has the appearance of the human brain. Although I've never tried this particular delicacy, I can definately relate to the binary reaction that your choices elicit from others. :huh:

That's probably not a bad comparison actually. There are several of the fruits in each rind, they consist of a sac like membrane over a very creamy textured soft fruit. More like a very thick yogurt than anything else normally associated with a "fruit".

I never got past the smell. Even after tasting it. I liked the taste A LOT. BUT, that smell in an open hot market was ... whoa. I was gasping for air!

It's reminds me of street garbage and open sewers. It's harsh.

I would try it again though if given the chance.

I've only had the pleasure of smelling the aroma of the durian once when I worked in a fine dining establishment. Yuck.
But, it may please you to know that I was watching a program on food TV where they made a drink from it. Apparently it actually tastes good.
the show was that one where they run around the city and compete against amateur cooks. I don't know what it's called. Oh wait...
I think it's Chef vs. City or something like that.

The first time my wife and I tried it, we cut it open, and thought a gas pipe had ruptured. We were gagging and had to throw the fruit out.

A couple of years later, being brave souls, we were able to eat it. It was good, but not something that I would eat regularly.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The first time my wife and I tried it, we cut it open, and thought a gas pipe had ruptured. We were gagging and had to throw the fruit out.

A couple of years later, being brave souls, we were able to eat it. It was good, but not something that I would eat regularly.

That's a riot!

I have always had it at outdoor stands, so I suppose being out in the open air helps quite a bit.
Don't know if I could face its wrath in a closed room. :lol:

There are at least two Asian markets in Omaha that carry it; though that is a day's drive from Chicago. Surprised that there are none in the Chicago area.

I enjoy watching Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel. The host, Andrew Zimmern, eats some of the strangest foods I've ever seen. The one food he is unable to even choke down is Durian. I believe he described it as eating smelly old socks. I don't know if I would have the guts to eat it. Do you enjoy the scent as well as the taste?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I enjoy watching Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel. The host, Andrew Zimmern, eats some of the strangest foods I've ever seen. The one food he is unable to even choke down is Durian. I believe he described it as eating smelly old socks. I don't know if I would have the guts to eat it. Do you enjoy the scent as well as the taste?

No, I have absolutely no attraction to the smell whatsoever. :eek:

I saw that episode with Zimmern, and having seen some of the stuff he has eaten, I just didn't get the Durian episode.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A lot of guys here saying they have seen the Durian here in the states, and I just have not.
I have seen a lot of places with Jackfruit.
Are you guys sure it was Durian and not Jackfruit?
Though they look very similar on the outside, they are very different.
Jackfruit has no malodorous impact whatsoever, and a much more standard fruit type texture.

I'm not 100% certain since it was a couple years ago, but the fruit did smell a bit when unopened. I was also with a friend who had spent time in China and was familar with the fruit.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Durian is the fruit that falls off of a tree and conks people in the head.

The lucky ones, that is. The unfortunate ones taste it. :lol:

I'm currently living in China where you can find this stuff everywhere. Even among the local. opinions are split - some love it, others hate it. On the other hand, they all seem to like smelly tofu, which really says something about how bad durian is.

Speaking of smelly tofu, we stopped at a rest area on the highway outside of Shanghai one day and I told my wife that there must be a hog farm nearby (I was raised on a farm and know what pig sh*t smells like). Turhs out it was a food vendor cooking up some smelly tofu.

Top Bottom