What's new

My love/hate relationship with chopsticks

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My friend, you have just made me a Millionaire. I will advertise in comic books!

1670535303473.png

... I guess that's how they sell Arko.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I never could figure them out. Or mainly - I never had the patience to figure them out. I was scoffed at by friends when we were out at a sushi restaurant and I was the only one picking up the sushi with my fingers. In that instant I felt pretty good when I said “actually, y’all are doing it wrong!” as they all had chopsticks.

I just can’t figure the darn things out.
I am with you. I actually migrated from sushi with my fingers to a fork. I think that made them laugh at me more.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If one is going to eat rice with chopsticks, best to do it from a rice bowl held close to the mouth (rather than all the way down on the table) and don't bring the chopsticks all the way together.

We like sticky rice and make it frequently. Sticky, black, gobindavog, forbidden, cargo, basmati, jasmine, arborio, parcooked, sushi rice and plain old white rice are the selections currently in the pantry at Chez Hippie.

I still laugh over flying into China in 2007 to train network engineers in dealing with Western media during the Olympics. I sat next to a young Mongolian woman who was returning home for a break from the University of Minnesota. When the meals came they were Air Canada's version of "generic Asian-type food with chopsticks" and we both shrugged and dug in. After a while she noticed I was eating as fast as she was and said, "Wow. For a white guy you have some solid chopstick skills."

I was warmed, although I also noticed the qualifier. I will say my skills were even better when I came back home.

O.H.

Chopsticks are my main utensil :)
so ya could say quite good with them maybe used a fork 10x this year ? To every meal with chopsticks

my fav are Keith brand Titanium while I usually do not like metal at all for chopsticks these ti are truly amazing and funny enough my choice for razors :) hahahahah

They are popular in the islands with such a huge asian influence so also something that was always around and for poke the best tool :) I do miss my daily poke from the store as you would have rows of the stuff of various types ohhhhhh so miss that or even better doing your own with your own fish ya caught

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
It works. Just sharpen it.

Or do what any good Dane would do and use it to flip aebelskiver...

O.H.
I can rattle off skewer in at least six different languages without losing a beat. Not bragging, but it came with part of the skill set required to coax another ten bucks out of a meal with "fancy" wordage. It's safe to say there are 50 more ways to say it that I don't know.

On the other hand I did have to Google aebelskiver. Apparently one would need to stab it with a spyd...

My boss at my first job bought me lunch on my first day; a combo platter of General Tso's. He was a great guy, although devious and somewhat demented, which I would find out later.

We sat down to eat, and he tells me "It's on me, if you eat the whole thing using these." and he hands me the sticks.

It was a struggle and I was given no guidance, but there's no way, as the new guy, that I was gonna back down from a challenge like that.

I use chop sticks only with Chinese food but I don't eat Chinese food without chop sticks.

...miss you John!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I pretty sure the GF has purchased a few sets of chopsticks over the years. We've never once used them.

Chopsticks are my main utensil :)
so ya could say quite good with them maybe used a fork 10x this year ? To every meal with chopsticks

my fav are Keith brand Titanium while I usually do not like metal at all for chopsticks these ti are truly amazing and funny enough my choice for razors :) hahahahah

They are popular in the islands with such a huge asian influence so also something that was always around and for poke the best tool :) I do miss my daily poke from the store as you would have rows of the stuff of various types ohhhhhh so miss that or even better doing your own with your own fish ya caught
For any Asian dish in my home I use chopsticks. My daughters are proficient enough from our use at home that they don't shy away from them when we're at a nice restaurant.

If you just want a small downgrade, try Korean chopsticks. The tiny, flat, silver ones. PITA for sure.
Korean Spoons for the win...

Chinese or Japanese food, always chopsticks. Other SE Asian food, fingers or spoon and fork. Never use chopsticks on Thai food and never put the fork in your mouth in a Thai restaurant. Here it's quite funny to see the locals' reaction to a white guy using chopsticks, they are almost always surprised.

Top Bottom