What's new

Losing the bowl

When I started wetshaving about a year and a half ago, I used a bowl to lather soaps/cream. I think it was good to learn this way.

Now I face lather everything. If Im using a soap, it's a no brainer. When using cream I just put a dab on the brush and go to work on my face. The bowl now seems completely unecessary and is now under the sink collecting dust. It seems like a waste of space on the counter.

It was a great way to learn, but now with experience it is no longer needed.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I actually think face lathering may be better to learn on as I started getting much better results with my lather when I could feel it building on my face.

Understand. A lot of folks are with you, however, I soak my brush while showering and prefer a hotter lather so I use a one-piece scuttle. That's me.

Anyway you finish with an enjoyable shave is the way to go! )

When I started wetshaving about a year and a half ago, I used a bowl to lather soaps/cream. I think it was good to learn this way.

Now I face lather everything. If Im using a soap, it's a no brainer. When using cream I just put a dab on the brush and go to work on my face. The bowl now seems completely unecessary and is now under the sink collecting dust. It seems like a waste of space on the counter.

It was a great way to learn, but now with experience it is no longer needed.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Yes. I definitely do better with face lathering than I did using a bowl.

Same here. I started using a bowl (I do think it is a bit easier to learn that way), but once I tried face lathering I was a permanent convert.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
After 3 broken bowls, I moved to face lathering... Much happier that way, I don't have to clean a bowl at the end!

I'm pretty new to the whole process but moved to face lathering when I purchased a Speick Shave Stick. I use my bowl to soak my brush in hot water and if I need some extra water on the brush I dip it in there but that's about it.

I haven't tried face lathering with a cream yet but I think I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I've been face lathering for a month now and love it. No my old spice mug is just used for soaking the brush then emptied. At that point I only us it to rest my brush between passes.
I did notice though that if I use my boar brush for face lathering, by the second pass it's cold :thumbdown. But my badger stays warm through pass 3, it was only cooled down when I was doing touch ups.
So for me, face lathering really works well with my badger brush.

I did notice though that if I use my boar brush for face lathering, by the second pass it's cold :thumbdown. But my badger stays warm through pass 3, it was only cooled down when I was doing touch ups.

Wow, how do you do that. I've never had a brush stay warm after the 1st pass without a bowl.

Even though I am very comfortable face lathering, I use a bowl because I like making überlather (mix of soap + creme + glycerin) and time is not an issue for me. I can't do this when face lathering. Once the überlather is made (thick and very moist), I take it to my face and work the fabulously rich, warm lather into my beard for a good 90 sec or more (feels great :thumbup:)...I think I get the best of both worlds (face and bowl lathering) :001_smile. I have yet to break a bowl doing this.

Wow, how do you do that. I've never had a brush stay warm after the 1st pass without a bowl.

I was just thinking that it's not logical, but thinking about it a bit more, my guess is that it is resting in the pre-warmed and empty old spice mug.

I should try just standing it alone to see how quick it gets cold.

I also converted to face lathering recently. I think it's time to upgrade from my VDH brush--I have my eyes set on Omega 49. :001_rolle

I think face lathering also gives you a little bit of wiggle room with prep. I feel that I can face lather for a couple minutes and make up for not having prepped my face that well. I figure, the messier, the manlier, and face lathering can certainly get messy. I started lathering this way, tried bowl lathering, and went running back to face lathering. Holy crap, I love it.

For a while, I completely ditched the bowl, but recently added it back into my routine.
First I swirl the brush in the cream and apply it to my face. Then, I use a bowl to lather the remaining cream. Works for me.

Top Bottom