What's new

Looking for some experienced feedback

Hello all -

First, I would like to thank all of the members that have encouraged me and helped me in the development of the online tea store. I am currently exploring adding some new teas to the website but would like to take advantage of the accumulated experience of the members here. These are specifically Taiwanese teas. What do you all think of these teas:

- Bao Zhong Oolong Tea (Floral Aroma )- Selected Premium - Strong floral aroma with sweet tea liquor

- Bao Zhong Oolong Tea (Ripe-Fruit Aroma )- Premium - Strong Ripe-fruit aroma, sweet taste

- Oriental Beauty Tea - Selected Premium - Strong honey aroma with ripe-fruit taste

- Ruby Black Tea - Premium - Unique Taiwan Black Tea

- Classic Dong Ding Tea - Premium - Classic Type(30% oxidized, 30% baked)

- Finest Handcraft Dong Ding Tea - Selected Premium - Classic Type, another name: Hong Sui Oolong, which means " the best Dong Ding Oolong " (30% oxidized, 30% baked)

- Lishan High Mountain Tea - Selected Premium Natural Cultivation, very sweet taste & fresh aroma

- Lalashan High Mountain Tea - Premium Natural Cultivation, fresh aroma & sweet taste

- ChinJing High Mountain Tea - Choice Natural Cultivation, Fresh aroma & sweet taste

- Classic Ti Kuan Yin - Selected Premium Classic Type, amazing aroma & pretty lingering finish

Appreciate any comments on any of these teas.

May you all have abundant health and great happiness in the New Year!

I am a fan of the Bao Zhongs. Prices really limit my consumption.
I am never without a couple of Oriental Beauty teas. They are my go to when I don't want "serious" tea.
I am learning to love Dong Ding styles. I like them fairly heavily roasted and oxidized.
I am moving away from the really light lishan styles because I am mostly unable to discern the subtle differences and find the price points are often challenging.

I've been drinking a ton of Taiwanese teas and if you have specific questions I'll answer them in whichever format you select.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Before I discovered pu'er, I was a 95+% oolong guy. Oolong spans a very wide range from barely to almost fully oxidized. Bao zhongs blur the line between green and oolong, and bai hao oriental beauty blurs the line between oolong and black. I've had good and bad examples of each.

So much has to do with personal preferences. I used to (incorrectly) think that dong dings were more lightly oxidized than tieguanyin, and preferred them until I realized I pretty much had it backwards. My preference runs towards the lighter oolongs, yet I'm not a big fan of the bao zhongs. Fortunately, there's plenty of tea for everyone (and, apparently, it will all soon be available from Steve :thumbup:).

Im a fan of bao zhong but as arghblech said they can get pricey. It's always nice to have some dong ding around as well. Oriental beauty is a nice bet and I've heard of the Taiwanese black but haven't tried it. Overall I prefer the lighter style of oolongs. I have never heard of ChinJing or Lalashan.

I can get several different grades of the Bao Zhong Oolong Tea (Floral Aroma) and a couple of different grades of the Bao Zhong Oolong Tea (Ripe-Fruit Aroma). Does anyone have experience with the different grades withing a type of Bao Zhong Oolong? Also, can anyone relate their experiences with the floral vice the ripe fruit aroma. I will have some samples to try soon but was just wondering about experiences...

I don't know specifically for Baozhong, but I believe that ripe fruitiness comes from a higher amount of oxidation with a lower roast...a good example would be the 2009 Traditional Dong Ding from Floating Leaves. Floral notes would probably come from something that's low oxidation, and almost no roast, in the tradition of a "normal" Bao Zhong.

I am a fan of the Bao Zhongs. Prices really limit my consumption.
I am never without a couple of Oriental Beauty teas. They are my go to when I don't want "serious" tea.
I am learning to love Dong Ding styles. I like them fairly heavily roasted and oxidized.
I am moving away from the really light lishan styles because I am mostly unable to discern the subtle differences and find the price points are often challenging.

I've been drinking a ton of Taiwanese teas and if you have specific questions I'll answer them in whichever format you select.

+1!

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Here is some additional information that my new vendor has supplied regarding their teas:

1.PouChong Tea (also called BouZhong Tea)
PouChong Tea is famous with its strong floral fragrance & Aroma due to unique PingLin natural condition & tea masters’ technique. The shape of leaves are wicker-like and naturally slightly twisted, not ball-rolled. Its leave color is glossy jade-green & dark-green mixed as well as the tea liquor color is bright yellow with greenish. After brewing, the most charming for PouChoung is its floral fragrance transpiring strongly from brewed tea. While sipping it, the pure, fresh & flavorful taste enriches the mouth with lightly sweetness undertone.
Basically, 2 crucial factors make PouChong Tea have strong floral aroma & sweet taste: (1) Natural condition: Ping Lin village is located on upstream of the reservoir which is the water source for 6M people in Taipei City, therefore, the environment is very clean, nutrient & humid for tea tree to grow. In addition, its average temperature is around 20 degrees centigrade which provides a very suitable natural condition for quality tea growing.
(2) Tea Master: The tea master is the soul necessary to produce purest PouChong Tea. Our selected Tea Master has won the 1st place title in producing PouChoung Tea several times.
The conditions above makes our PouChong very brilliant & highly appreciated compared to other suppliers.

2.Oriental Beauty (so called Formosa Oolong Tea or Bai-Hou Oolong)
Fluffy White-tip derived apparently from tea leave's appearance, and leaves are intermingled with while, red, yellow, green & brown color, which makes it look like flourishing mixed-color flower. After brewing, the color of tea is shimmering amber, with rich honey aroma transpiring from brewed tea. While sipping it, the smooth & live ripe-fruity enrich the taste, just like fine red wine.

3.Taiwan HighMountain Tea
ChinJing, located in middle Taiwan, is one of very famous High Mountain Oolong tea plantations. Its high elevation results in very suitable conditions for premium tea growing, and with the mist & fog covering the high mountain; this weather condition produces a tea with very fresh aroma & sweet taste.

4. 4 Sesson Oolong Tea (EverGreen Tea)
The most popular Taiwan tea with very large production. The strong aroma with smooth taste make it widely adopted by those initial tea lovers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom