What's new

JAS eTea - Imperial Mi Lan Xiang

The Tea Greenhorn Chronicles – Part 4

Up on the tasting block for the past couple of days has been the JAS eTea Imperial Mi Lan Xiang (Honey Orchid) Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong Tea. Oolongs are new to me, and I found that I needed to experiment with this tea to find my perfect brew. I offer my initial impression here, but qualify it by acknowledging that I need more time to experiment with this wonderful tea.

The Imperial is part of a set of three Mi Lan Xiangs: Premium, Imperial, and Nonpariel. My intention was begin with the Imperial, the mid-grade, use it as the baseline, then try the Premium and the Nonpariel. I may deviate from this.

Summary: Dandy Al Swearengen

Steeping: I tried both gaiwan and teapot steeping. I found that the teapot offered a better infusion for my taste, so the descriptions below are based on teapot steeping. Five grams of tea with 150ml of water / 2 to 3s quick rinse / Seven infusions - 30s, 1m, 1m30s, 2m, 3m, 4m, 6m.

I tried different temperatures and found that I prefered this tea at around 190 to 195. JAS eTea recommends 175 in a gaiwan. I deviated from this, but I'll go back to it another time. I usually eyeball the temperature, but I measured for this tea.

proxy.php

Tea Aroma: For me, this tea aroma can be described as a heady honey roasted fruit tree blossom, although that's not quite right. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I get the sense of nectarine or peach in there. Whatever it is, it's simply lovely.

Tea Flavor:

First infusion – Smooth, light floral scent and flavor. Absolutely no rough edges. I can't quite name that floral scent, but it is familiar. I want to say its gardenia, but the JAS eTea description says the Huang Zhi Xiang oolongs are the gardenia variety... whatever it is, its really nice.

Second, third and fourth infusions – The tea opened up its flavor on the second infusion. The floral character is stronger, and a light natural sweetness is present. That familiar floral scent from the first is still there. The mouthfeel is a medium bodied liquid that coats the mouth like silk. A light powdery finish starts on the third infusion. Did I mention this is smooth stuff?

Fifth and sixth infusions – Mostly light floral now but still very pleasant.

Seventh infusion – There's still a faint floral nose present, but at this point, it's like watching the morning dawn wash the last visible star from the sky.

The steeped tea leaves: The leaves mostly remained tightly curled through the first four infusions, and did not really open up until the fifth infusion. I smelled the aroma of the tea leaves after the second infusion, and Al Swearengen immediately came to mind. Why? I know this aroma. This is canned peaches. The leaves retained this scent even after the seventh infusion. (Oddball pop culture reference, I know.)

proxy.php

Conclusion: This is a fantastic floral tea. It's delicate, but balanced and smooth. I do not hesitate to call this a refined tea, similar to how some might describe Floid as a refined Aqua Velva. So for the refined, delicate floral and lightly sweet taste, and the steeped leaf canned peach scent, this tea is a Dandy Al Swearengen.

Comments, suggestions and criticisms are always welcome. And now the gratuitous tea photo's:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very detailed and insightful review. Almost feel like I was there...
And as always the pics are fantastic and really appreciated!

Cheers,
Steve

Top Bottom