What's new

Looking for restoration service

I have an old shaving brush that used to be my grandfathers, and I've been using it for roughly 2 years now. Unfortunately, today a large chuck of the knot came off the brush, right out of the center of the knot. I've seen a lot of "how to" on here, but I don't have the tools or the confidence to make my first DIY fix on that particular brush. So I'm looking to see if anyone offers that as a service where I can mail them the brush, get it repaired and sent back. I'm also looking for an estimate on cost. I did a Google search looking for a service like this, but the only one I found was in Germany. If anyone does this regularly, please let me know.

I don't have a picture, but this brush is the exact brush found on Etsy. I'm not sure if what I have is a boar or synthetic knot, as mine is a little bit whiter than in this picture
View attachment 540556

EDIT: I decided I might give restoring this a try, but I really don't want to totally screw it up, so I do have a question. I know that generally, you use coins as a gauge for the knot size. The opening is just slightly bigger than a penny (20mm), and just slightly smaller than a nickel (22mm). I don't want to waste money buying a knot that I can't use, would that be 21mm? Is there a better way to find out??

Last edited:
Most any of the craftsmen that frequent here would be willing to do that for you. I had a quote from Rudy Vey to re-knot an old Erskine that belonged to my grandfather. I ended up gaining enough confidence to do it myself. There are others besides Rudy as well.

Let the craftsman you choose determine what size to use. If you do it yourself, don't attempt to measure until the knot is out of the hole.

Top Bottom