What's new

Looking for Premium Synthetic Brush

I'm looking to buy one of following synthetic brushes. Simsons Chubby 2 (i like the looks most), Omega Evo, Muhle STF, EJ STF
I exclusively use bowl for lathering as face lathering irritates my face
Which one would you recommend? I have been leaning towards chubby 2 but i've read many things about it such as way too hard to splay and that some come in bulb and some other in fan shape.
Which one of those brushes in your opinion would work best for bowl lather?

I don't have any experience with these brushes, but I would throw in a couple other recommendations.

The Simpson Trafalgar line is a good choice and less expensive than the Chubby 2. If your looking to go for a bigger brush, the T3 will fit the bill.

I also have the RazoRock Big Bruce. It is also very affordable. The Bruce is a smaller version

Both splay well.

I read good things about Yaqi brushes, but have no personal experience with them.

Good luck!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have an EVO for face lathering while traveling, but for bowl lathering I'm not sure all that backbone is a plus. I suspect most synthetics will do a fine job with bowl lathering.

I have yet to try the STF, but it definitely has fans.

Having just received a Trafalgar T2, I would NOT recommend that. Lathers great, feels lousy, nice handle. I do not want synthetic brushes, I'm a traditionalist and want boar and badger.

Both the Evo and the STF are a joy to facelather with.
Alas they both got small handles so I doubt they would be good for bowl lathering.
Perhaps the Evo with the long "barber-styled" handle?
1661450015006.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking to buy one of following synthetic brushes. Simsons Chubby 2 (i like the looks most), Omega Evo, Muhle STF, EJ STF
I exclusively use bowl for lathering as face lathering irritates my face
Which one would you recommend? I have been leaning towards chubby 2 but i've read many things about it such as way too hard to splay and that some come in bulb and some other in fan shape.
Which one of those brushes in your opinion would work best for bowl lather?
I have all of these brushes and rank them in this order:
  1. Have @Rudy Vey craft a custom handle and set a 25mm STF knot to your desired loft (my personal choice)
  2. EJ STF
  3. Mühle STF
  4. Omega EVO
  5. Simpson Chubby 2
You might also want to check out the AP Shave Co G5C Fan. Great knot.

I mostly bowl lather, but do face lather on occasion.

Hope this helps. :)

I pulled the trigger on a chubby 2 synth and made sure it has fan shaped knot
Thanks for all the responses i'll take everything into consideration for a possible future buy

I have a Rudy Vey in Muehle STF, among a box full of other brushes. It is hands down the best brush I've ever used. So, my choice is the Rudy Vey or the Muehle brand, either one. I like the looks of the RV because he can make it the way I want it to look and still have the Muehle knot.

Last month, I went down the synthetic rabbit hole.
My favorites, in order of satisfaction,
I. AP G5C knot
1. Brushworx G5C knot
2. Evo 2.0
3. Big Bruce
4. Simpson Trafalgar
5. AP "Cashmere" knot

I like a very soft fan shape knot and "just enough" backbone. The Big Bruce and Cashmere brushes are floppy but soft.
My top three are best for lathering in a bowl. Just my opinion!

Here's my three favorites in order. Let me be clear up front, they are are truly great brushes and if I was limited to only one of these, I would be happy.

#1 Rudy Vey with Muehle 25mm Silvertip Fiber knot. The tips are so soft they feel like kitten fur. The soft knot splays naturally, better than my old badger ever did. Handle made in the USA, fibers and knot made in Germany.
Rudy Vey 2.JPG

#2 Shavemac 28mm Synthetic Fiber. The tips are very soft, not quite as soft as the RV, but very soft. The brush is a little stiffer than the RV and requires a tad more pressure to splay. Handle, fibers, and knot are handmade in Germany.
Shavemac butterscotch brush 1.JPG

#3 AP Shave Co 26mm Silvertip Fiber brush. The fibers seem the same as the Shavemac. One difference is that the knot is tied in China instead of Germany, but the fibers are made in Germany. This knot is set lower so it makes the brush stiffer. It has a lot more backbone, in other words, but the tips are soft and gentle. Wonderful brush.
AP Shave Co 2.JPG

Those are my top three and they are all great brushes.

Top Bottom