What's new

Looking for moustache wax recommendations

I picked up a tin of Brooklyn wax from a snazzy little shop in Dallas last weekend, actually South Lakes, called The Gents Place. I was purchasing my 17 year old son a hair cut and found to my surprise, shaving gear, cologne and all sorts of products. Free booze to paying customers as well, since I was paying I had a few fingers of Jameson while waiting. The wax seems to hold well but is really firm, will certainly keep handles up if that's your thing.

I use Badger Mustache Wax most days. I have tried Proraso Mustache Wax odd consistency but it has good holding power. Recently purchased some "Groom" Mustache wax from some downtown hipster barbershop. Great hold, nice fragrance.

Per this thread I decided to try the got2bglued.

Walmart had the stuff in the tube that is in the YouTube videos. They also had a version in a small tub called "wax." I decided to go with the wax version.

I am very favorably impressed. Stuff holds well, and looks good. My only comparison is Firehouse Wacky Tacky. The FWT feels much more rigid and plastered down, and adds a little color tint to the grey hair. To me it ends up looking like was has been applied, while the G2B looks more natural. Plus, a small tin of FWT is $16 while a much larger tub of G2B is $4.50.

Thumbs up to G2B!

I was wondering what kind of wax you think is on the firmer side but not superhard to apply to the moustache. I have tried a few different ones and made a pros & cons list.
I usually use a softer wax like mr bear for the middle and captain fawcett for the tips. I have a handlebar moustache. Now I am wondering if there is a holy grail wax that is quite easy to apply, has a strong hold and lasts long.

The beard company wax
+Pretty easy application
-Weak hold
-Lasts short time

Mr Bear family woodsman
+Easy application
+Decent smell
+Decent hold
+Easy to get out of moustache
-Doesn't last too long, needs constant touchups

Captain Fawcett Expedition strength
+Very nice hold
+Lasts long
+Nice smell
-Hard to get into the moustache (really hard wax even if warmed)
-Impossible to get out of the moustache
-When it needs a touchup later in the day you have to work hard to add more wax

Two thoughts that might help your search. First, I've taken to using a jet type cigar lighter to heat the wax in the morning before applying. Just a moment or two will liquefy the top and make it easier to apply. Obviously this doesn't last for long, so the hair dryer will also loosen up the wax once it's on the mustache. Once you have it all set, the same hair dryer on the no heat setting will return the wax to its harder solid form.

The second issue is about removing wax. Oils break down wax, so a cheap conditioner will easily remove the wax from your mustache. I wear mine in two loops and I have thin hair, so I need a lot of wax to keep it under control. So I don't try to wash out all the wax every day. I shampoo it to keep it clean, but leave the way. Once a week I shampoo and then apply conditioner. I leave the conditioner on while I finish bathing and then wash it off a the end. Mustache is then completely devoid of wax.

The second issue is about removing wax.
I've been using a home-made wax that is a mixture of beeswax and coconut oil. The biggest problem was getting it off my fingertips after applying it. The best product I've found for that is Purelle hand sanitizer lotion, followed by a bar soap. It must be the alcohol that does it.
proxy.php

I have not tried it on my 'stache though. For that I usually use a combo shampoo/conditioner (and a nail brush) during my pre-shave shower at night.

Top Bottom