What's new

Looking for moustache wax recommendations

So I decided I'm not going to trim my moustache and goatee down for Movember, maybe even a little longer and my stache is getting a little unruly. I've been dealing with it by putting a little extra beard balm on and combing it but it doesn't really hold up. I've used Clubman moustache wax in the past but it flaked too much for my liking. I'm looking for a wax with decent hold that washes out easy and has minimal flaking. Got any suggestions?

Try Captain Fawcett's, or Firehouse Tacky.
Both have good hold, and are not flaky like Clubmans.

I really like Firehouse. I also like Badger Balm wax (available at your neighborhood Cracker Barrel).

I still have a bit of Elkhardt & Leduc moustache wax/antifreeze left from when I lived in the arctic. Sadly, they don't seem to exist any more.
It's pretty good for holding shape, and was great for making it easy to pull the ice buildup off my 'stache. This was a not insignificant problem in places like Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk in January.

strop

Now half as wise
I used Fisticuffs for a while, ans IIRC, had good hold and applied easily. I can't use it due to the yellow color. Interestingly, the Fisticuffs Strong is white. It has a softer texture, but still has good hold.

I was looking into Fisticuffs wax. It has pretty good reviews on amazon, anyone here tried before?
I have four tins of wax (two in tube format, I won't even talk about those). Of those four Fisticuffs is the weakest performing I've got. My ranking of what I've got: Fire House, Badger, Woodsman, Fisticuffs.

My fisticuffs is bay rum scented so the only time I use it is when I do the full bay rum set up from soap, to aftershave to wax.

I have four tins of wax (two in tube format, I won't even talk about those). Of those four Fisticuffs is the weakest performing I've got. My ranking of what I've got: Fire House, Badger, Woodsman, Fisticuffs.

My fisticuffs is bay rum scented so the only time I use it is when I do the full bay rum set up from soap, to aftershave to wax.

I ended up going with Wild Willies stache wax. It comes in a chap stick type container, medium hold I guess, does a good job keeping the hair off my lips but doesn't seem strong enough to hold a handle bar. Nice scent though, subtle mint. I'll probably pick up one or two more kinds, maybe try to find a sampler.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've been pretty satisfied with Firehouse. Have used their Wacky Tacky, but like the standard Dark better.

I concur with the last couple of posters. Firehouse is by the far the best wax I've used. A bit harder to get started, but once it's worked in, it's the best!

I concur with the last couple of posters. Firehouse is by the far the best wax I've used. A bit harder to get started, but once it's worked in, it's the best!

I keep the Firehouse Tacky in my pocket for awhile before applying. This softens it so that it is easier to apply.

i have firehouse tacky in my pocket most days, but for me the stronger hold and quick setting is clubman. i have used the firehouse light as well but the tacky works better for me. (maybe i will carry the light tomorrow) i really did not feel that badger worked well for me at all, and it smelled more like desert with the vanilla.

i think my best for all day is got2bglued and a hairdryer in the morning. if i brush it while it drives i get a lot of hold with a very natural look. if i shape it and just let it dry, i get a very styled look. i live in a warm climate and the got2bglued is not affected by the heat like the waxes seem to be.

i have firehouse tacky in my pocket most days, but for me the stronger hold and quick setting is clubman. i have used the firehouse light as well but the tacky works better for me. (maybe i will carry the light tomorrow) i really did not feel that badger worked well for me at all, and it smelled more like desert with the vanilla.

i think my best for all day is got2bglued and a hairdryer in the morning. if i brush it while it drives i get a lot of hold with a very natural look. if i shape it and just let it dry, i get a very styled look. i live in a warm climate and the got2bglued is not affected by the heat like the waxes seem to be.

I've seen some youtube videos recommending got2bglued. Its funny because that was my go to hair product when I was younger and wore spikey hair. I remember it being super stiff and lasting a long time, even in the rain.

I use Fisticuffs on the main part on my HB and for the tips (the parts past the corners of the mouth) I use Capt Fawcetts. And I carry a tin of Fisticuffs with me since it fits in a cargo pocket pretty easy. And get a real mustache comb. I use Kent brand. And order more than one.

And if you want some better hold, try "Can You Handlebar" mustache wax. It needs to be softened but had pretty good hold.

I use Fisticuffs on the main part on my HB and for the tips (the parts past the corners of the mouth) I use Capt Fawcetts. And I carry a tin of Fisticuffs with me since it fits in a cargo pocket pretty easy. And get a real mustache comb. I use Kent brand. And order more than one.

I have one of those tiny Kent combs, they work really well.

For me, I prefer the Zeus Mustache comb. Much heavier and stronger than the Kent.
The teeth in my Kent broke one day while it was in my pocket so I put it in storage.
The Zeus combs are $5 each or 3 for $13. I bought 3 more after I tried the first one. Glad I did since I lost one in either Munich or my car. I'll know in the Spring.

I've used Clubman and I wasn't impressed...no hold for me at all.
I picked up Loma Wax from a One-Man operation in Grand Junction, Colorado. It's in a small tub with a very secure screw top that i can keep in my pocket. Virtually scent free and good hold. Not permanent like Got2bglued but good.

I also bought a small mustache/beard brush form Zeus. It is boar bristle and a bit scratchy but it helps spread the wax.

Top Bottom