What's new

Looking for larger vintage handles

It seems that most vintage brushes are a bit smaller than what I'm looking for, and I was curious if anybody can give me some specific advice of what to look for and possibly where to look. I'm basically just looking for a handle that will hold something like a 24 to 26 mm knot. I really like the look of Eveready and Rubberset handles, groovy color combinations but definitely have the vintage aesthetic. It seems like most of what I find tend to be 22 mm Max.

I'm totally open to other brands, just trying to give an idea of what I like aesthetically. And I definitely want vintage.

PAA perhaps for a modern Rubberset 400?

Or this one?

PAA perhaps for a modern Rubberset 400?

Or this one?

Not exactly the aesthetic I'm looking for. But thanks! I'm looking for something with that colorful vintage aesthetic of bakelight etc.

You want the handle only to set your own knot?
The handle is certainly all I plan on using, but I don't mind buying a vintage brush and removing the old knot. I have some really nice dense knots at my disposal, but they are in 24 and 26 mm, my preferred size typically. I I think about what kind of handle I would like the men, and honestly I would like to see them in something vintage with a nice retro look.

I got some reknots from @Snargle that I’m very happy about. Yet I doubt that you can open up a vintage brush to a much wider opening without compromising the structural integrity.

I would go with a vintage looking modern handle.

BAD8167C-91FE-4FEB-ACBB-074CC3F75DDE.jpeg

FE212B58-2CD0-4497-AA7F-A5EA636C73F9.jpeg

Last edited:
You can drill out a vintage handle wider to take a bugger knot. I agree that a lot of handles were made for smaller knots but I'v got a couple that have bigger knots.

Vintage Shave Brushes.jpg

The tall red and cream-colored ones on the center-left. Still original. The 5th one from the center (Bent bristles) is 26mm. I just measured it.

So they are out there if you don't want to drill them wider.

You can drill out a vintage handle wider to take a bugger knot. I agree that a lot of handles were made for smaller knots but I'v got a couple that have bigger knots.

View attachment 1489552
The tall red and cream-colored ones on the center-left. Still original. The 5th one from the center (Bent bristles) is 26mm. I just measured it.

So they are out there if you don't want to drill them wider.
What a great collection!

Most of my reknotted vintage handles have been opened up to accept 24 mm and even 26 mm knots. If I want larger brushes I look for modern handles.

Top Bottom