What's new

Looking for a new travel brush

I have been a natural brush user for years. My favorite knot is probably a Shavemac 24 mm 2 band silvertip but I have also enjoyed various other knots including an Elite Manchurian and Simpson super and best.

My only venture into synthetics was a Simpson Classic 1 (platinum fiber) which I don’t care for. I face lather and can get no meaningful splay from this knot.

The go to Major in super has become too much of a shedder and should be replaced. Based on the dismissal from Simpson after the brush had only been used 30 or 40 times, Simpson brushes are not a consideration for me.

I‘m looking at an AP Shave Co 22 mm Synbad and would appreciate any feedback on it suitability as a travel brush and other general impressions. Other suggestions on a relatively small travel brush would also be appreciated.

Thank you all.

I have been a natural brush user for years. My favorite knot is probably a Shavemac 24 mm 2 band silvertip but I have also enjoyed various other knots including an Elite Manchurian and Simpson super and best.

My only venture into synthetics was a Simpson Classic 1 (platinum fiber) which I don’t care for. I face lather and can get no meaningful splay from this knot.

The go to Major in super has become too much of a shedder and should be replaced. Based on the dismissal from Simpson after the brush had only been used 30 or 40 times, Simpson brushes are not a consideration for me.

I‘m looking at an AP Shave Co 22 mm Synbad and would appreciate any feedback on it suitability as a travel brush and other general impressions. Other suggestions on a relatively small travel brush would also be appreciated.

Thank you all.
I had the same problem with that Simpson's model not splaying well. I got a Maggard's Razors house brand 18mm synthetic with a Black Timberwolf knot. I little smaller than the Classic and splays great. IMHO.

Mühle 19mm STF, looks too small and sparse but gets the job done!
The most natural Synth that I have used to date.

A5096FEC-73FF-432C-98EF-EA290B442C16.jpeg

1647900135635.png

This Travel Omega has 21mm knot and good performer. It has its own travel cap.

1647900300907.png

This is Omega 10086 with 18mm knot (the answer of Omega on Boar discipline to Simpson Wee scott)
Excellent performer.

1647900477707.png

This little Chap is Wee Scott, excellent performer, a best badger with 13mm knot.

1647900595196.png

On synthethic discipline, Muhle is unbeatable. 23mm knot very good performer. I totally agree with @Multum in parvo "..The most natural Synth that I have used to date..".

I absolutely love my 30mm Synbad APShave Co brush. It was the 1st synth that could mimic a badger in splay and face feel-I face lather 95% of the time At the size you want, I'm not sure how it would act, but the characteristics should carryover. In my travel kit, I have this brush:

1647900972498.png

It splays, whips up a lather like nobody's business, and is dry by the time I need to check out. Easily purchased from RazoRock for $17.99.

marty

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Mühle 19mm STF, looks too small and sparse but gets the job done!
The most natural Synth that I have used to date.

View attachment 1427430
A Muehle STF would be also my recommendation. I use for a very long time one I made for myself with the 19 mm knot. Prior to Covid, I was approx 2-3 nights a week on the road and this brush was the one I used the most during a year. Although it is only 19 mm, it is definitely is big enough for a three pass shave (on the road I only used tubed cream, easier and smaller to pack in my kit). I am not sure if this small knot is still offered in their line up, but the next size up would be also great. Even the big 25 mm brush would be perfect for travel, if it is not too big for the user. I, as well as many of my customers, find that the STF brushes are the closest to a badger brush.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just to continue with what Rudy said, looks like Maggards has two left of the 19mm if you were so inclined:

^ is the exact one I have.

I'm not fond of synths either, and routinely traveled/will again with naturals. I face lather and use sticks on the road.

my travelers or candidates that didn't make the cut, left to right:

Omega 40033, fits the Simpson and others' travel tubes. it is a fantastic knot and brush that I'd use daily at the house too.

Simpson Wee Scott in best. ok for one, maybe two shaves, then I want a real brush (picked up here used with the clear tube).

Omega Bambino. it's good but sparse feeling o the face.

my grandfather or uncle's Ever Ready 150L handle with a new TGN 18mm silvertip. that knot punches above its weight, but the handle ergonomics for me aren't comfortable in hand.

Omega 599 silvertip that I found new for $40 at Maggards. I had the mixed midget and wanted desperately to love it, but it uses pure badgers that always remained needle sharp prickly in mine with any pressure on it to splay it. tried to drill it out and ruined the handle on it. that's the first soak/lather/post dry bloom on the 599.

the right three fit the orange pill bottle.

8A8E6874-2DCA-4B9C-9D71-A6923AF257D4.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I say bring a brush you will enjoy while away, regardless of size or fiber, be it natural or synthetic. If I'm worried about the size of my brush, I'm packing wrong. My natural hair brushes dry overnight and if not completely dry, I'll manage. I brought a T3 on a recent getaway because I almost never use it. I guess any brush I bring with me becomes my travel brush.

I Have a Simpson T2 and a wee scot. The T2 is my only synthetic and I am trying hard to get used to it...not quite there yet. The wee scot is great but too small. One of them is going on my next trip, but I am not sure which.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was wondering what the goal is, exactly. A less expensive brush for travel? A smaller size to fit more easily into luggage?

I just bought a travel case: It fits my 26mm ESC Ultimate.
travel_shaving_brush_holder-executive_shaving.jpg

I was wondering what the goal is, exactly. A less expensive brush for travel? A smaller size to fit more easily into luggage?
The case was not my issue. I had used a Simpson Major which was close to my ideal travel brush until it started shedding profusely at 30 to 40 uses which equated to about $4 per use and therefore will not be replaced. The Turnback design was nice and compact yet protective. Saving a little space in my Dopp kit is a good thing. Not risking my better brushes to the airlines and having a brush packed and ready to go is also desirable. Finally as I am buying a brush for travel the quick drying and easier maintenance of a synthetic is desirable.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The case was not my issue. I had used a Simpson Major which was close to my ideal travel brush until it started shedding profusely at 30 to 40 uses which equated to about $4 per use and therefore will not be replaced. The Turnback design was nice and compact yet protective. Saving a little space in my Dopp kit is a good thing. Not risking my better brushes to the airlines and having a brush packed and ready to go is also desirable. Finally as I am buying a brush for travel the quick drying and easier maintenance of a synthetic is desirable.
Thx for the clarification.

Update for first use of Muhle 21 mm STF travel brush.

This brush exceeded my expectations. Everything I knew about synthetics based on my experience with the Simpson Classic 1 is irrelevant when looking at this brush. The MdC Original exploded into a rich lather. The brush splayed just the right amount. The fibers are soft on my skin with no scritch.

What the brush does not do his feel scrubby. This is not a major factor for me as much as I like my Shavemac 2 bands, I also like this Muhle STF bristle.
BC04B01E-A957-4F04-A390-23BAC545E1F7.jpeg

Because the brush stores in its own handle and drys fast, It looks like an ideal travel brush. But also important is that the Muhle STF knot could easily work in my home brush rotation.

Lesson learned is that synthetic knots can be excellent knots if made from the right fiber and mounted at the right loft in the right handle.

A Muehle STF would be also my recommendation. I use for a very long time one I made for myself with the 19 mm knot. Prior to Covid, I was approx 2-3 nights a week on the road and this brush was the one I used the most during a year. Although it is only 19 mm, it is definitely is big enough for a three pass shave (on the road I only used tubed cream, easier and smaller to pack in my kit). I am not sure if this small knot is still offered in their line up, but the next size up would be also great. Even the big 25 mm brush would be perfect for travel, if it is not too big for the user. I, as well as many of my customers, find that the STF brushes are the closest to a badger brush.
I agree with Rudy. However, I do not like small brushes so I have two that are about 23mm with the Muhle knot. One is from Muhle and the other Rudy made. They easily load soap, feel and perform as close to a badger, and dry fast.

Rudy Vey Syn.jpgMuhle Sil Fibre.jpg

Top Bottom