What's new

Long term storage of blades?

I read a member advising to put a couple of teabags with blades to keep the moisture at bay.

Is this true? Is this really an effective way to keep blades moisture free for long periods of time?

It'd only work if the teabags and the blades were in a sealed container or bag. Rice is an alternative to the tea.

I'd only be worried about this if the storage environment was damp and subject to swings in temperature. Given that most DE blades are stainless it would be some time before it would become a problem.

Try using the small sachets of Silica Gel that often come inside the box with new items. You can also buy sachets inexpensively. The link is a local source for you in Aus. Hope this helps.

I use the silica gel packs but I thought the teabag thing was quite interesting and wanted to know if it would actually work.

Try using the small sachets of Silica Gel that often come inside the box with new items. You can also buy sachets inexpensively. The link is a local source for you in Aus. Hope this helps.

Using the silica packs too just to be sure.

Not in the cryogenic scene but I am currently building my own pyramid so I can stock for the next 5,000 years; I plan on living forever :001_tt2:

I store mine under a lead lined, hermetically sealed, pyramid shaped vacuum chamber that was carved from a solid block of silica gel and coated with a special compound of titanium, ceramic and tungsten.

Homemade desiccant:

Grab some gypsum sheetrock/wallboard. Bust it up some.

Toss it in the oven at 200' for an hour or two.

Throw it in a container with some holes punched in it, throw the container in another container with whatever you want to keep dry.

Toss the wallboard back in the oven as above to "recharge" whenever needed.

It can create some dust, but it works and it's mostly free.

Top Bottom