What's new

Long lasting, affordable, still nice scent splash?

When I started wetshaving, I just went to walmart and bought me a bottle of old spice and it was fine for a while.
After having tried Fine aftershave sampler, I knew it was time to ditch the cheap aftershaves and get something nicer.

From Fine AS line, I liked L'orange, platinum, Fresh. American blend reminded me of old spice, so despite its longevity, I did not care for it too much.

Problem with L'orange,platinum, and fresh was that they didn't last too long. I'd say if I dabbed it on liberally on my face, it would last about two hours. I work at a hospital, so wearing cologne can be a little too offensive especially to patients and other staffs, so light and lingering scents from aftershaves are really perfect, but I just wish there was something longer lasting, and still within reasonable price range.

I love orange, lime scents, but I'd be willing to try other fresh scents. I do not like overly manly, musky scents at all. And scents that people call "barbershop scent", I really do not care for that much.

Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts on

razorock don marco milk?
razorock lime milk?
GFT lime skin food?

I am reading that these smell great, but seems like it's getting mixed reviews in longevity.

In my experience (which is far from comprehensive, but I have more than 20 aftershaves, so I feel I can express a somewhat informed opinion), no aftershave has the longevity you're seeking, particularly the citrus scents, which are notoriously short-lived. That includes the milks. Two hours exceeds anything I know. You might try the Veg.

I'm more than willing to be wrong about this.

Citrus;
pinaud citrus musk
lime sec
both give me more longevity than most.

Fresh;
Pinaud lilac vegetal is quite long lasting and is a favorite.
masters lilac vegetol is as well.
Many of the bay rums, some last much longer than others.

All of the above are very affordable, and can be mixed in hand for variety.

you might also try putting some on your chest before putting on a tshirt. That makes scents linger much longer for me. I am a teacher and do not like an overpowering cologne scent as well.

Last edited:
Citrus;
pinaud citrus musk
lime sec
both give me more longevity than most.

Fresh;
Pinaud lilac vegetal is quite long lasting and is a favorite.
masters lilac vegetol is as well.
Many of the bay rums, some last much longer than others.

All of the above are very affordable, and can be mixed in hand for variety.

you might also try putting some on your chest before putting on a tshirt. That makes scents linger much longer for me. I am a teacher and do not like an overpowering cologne scent as well.

I tend to associate clubman in my mind with "barbershop" "musky" "traditional" scent. So these products do not have that characteristics? Never tried any of the clubman lines, except hearing about clubman original over and over.

In my experience (which is far from comprehensive, but I have more than 20 aftershaves, so I feel I can express a somewhat informed opinion), no aftershave has the longevity you're seeking, particularly the citrus scents, which are notoriously short-lived. That includes the milks. Two hours exceeds anything I know. You might try the Veg.

I'm more than willing to be wrong about this.

I think I read that.. Was hoping there would be something that lasts and not overpowering.

I tend to fall into the same scent preferences as you, I think. I love citrus scents, but have never found one that I like that lasts. I have tried thousands (seems like), and they either fade rapidly, the citrus scent is artificial, or the citrus fades and then some powdery horrible base note is all that's left. It would seem that Wurglehound is correct.

I just use my citrus scents and enjoy the freshness while it lasts. I shave at night, so I enjoy my evening, and then usually splash on a wake me up in the morning. My favorite is probably Stirling Black Pepper Lime. They also have a great Grapefruit, and an excellent Orange Chill.

I tend to associate clubman in my mind with "barbershop" "musky" "traditional" scent. So these products do not have that characteristics? Never tried any of the clubman lines, except hearing about clubman original over and over.

The ones that I listed are not really musky, despite the name. Maybe a little powdery on the dry down, but not like clubman original.

Lime sec is a pure sweet lime and citrus musk is a dryer citrus and many cannot detect a musk. Both slightly powdery after dry down. You may or may not like the scents. Some say they are natural scents, some say they are synthetic.

The lilacs are both fresher lilac scents. Again, both have a slight powdery aspect on dry down as well. The vegetal is more complex than the vegetol.

All are cheap enough to try on a whim.

Best wishes.

Out of fine scents i like, l'orange seems to linger slightly longer than other fine scents (except american blend) but still not over two hours.

Would you say stirling lime lines last longer than fine l'orange?

I would recommend Stirling. You can order a lot of samples relatively inexpensive and he has tons of scents. Some of my favorites are his lime, baylime, sharp dressed man, and island man

I'll jump in here. Gillette's Cool Wave lasts all day; it's inexpensive and easy to find.

Yes.

And Skin Bracer along with Clubman Original as I assume affordable means "drugstore". The longest lasting aftershave I have used is the D R Harris Sandalwood followed closely by Musgo Real Classic. The latter two are pricey.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I would recommend Stirling. You can order a lot of samples relatively inexpensive and he has tons of scents. Some of my favorites are his lime, baylime, sharp dressed man, and island man

+1! Stirling is the bomb and very reasonably priced. If you like lime, try Margaritas in the Attic. I don't know about the longevity, but the scent is divine.

MITA, Black Pepper Lime, Port-au-Prince, Bay Lime

These are the four lime scents that i wad recommenede and they supposedly linger on you longer than other fleeting splashes. Thinking about getting samples of these. I just wish they had these on amazon prime.

I cant believe i am addicted to aftershave scents. I find myself sniffing my hand and wrist all day long because they smell good from applying splash on my neck and face.

Pinaud Clubman lasts about 6 hours on me usually. Same with Master Challenege and Topaz. Aqua Velva lasts ages as well and I ALWAYS get compliments on it.

D.R. Harris Arlington has a strong lemon note and lasts well. Harris Windsor has a good orange note that lasts all day for me as well. They are not cheap but aren't overly expensive given the quality and the longevity. Give them a try.

Top Bottom