What's new

Log splitters...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You want to see some wild ideas about wood splitters, check out Farm Show magazine.

I've seen everything in there from various manual devices, hydraulic powered super ram "firewood processors" than can split a monster log into kindling in one go, and even the most dangerous thing I think I've ever seen: the "momentum" splitters that have a heavy steel flywheel with a blade welded on the rim. It just goes around about once a second (big wheel; lots of rotational speed) and the guy just puts the wood under it BAM and around it goes again.

Oddly, most of the guys I see using those seem to still have all their fingers.

O.H.
Amen. My favorite magazine. Farmers are the smartest people in the werld. I wouldn't make a good pimple on a dumb farmer's arse.

Yeah, I'm 66 and not sure how long I'd last swinging a maul, though I'm still gonna try just to see how it goes. It's an inexpensive experiment, and all of my cardio system is in good working order. My doctor won't be mad, probably impressed.
it is a heck of a workout, especially when your technique isn't on point. I found out it's easier to split oak when it doesn't have a 1/4" of ice on it, and frozen through.

I vote for using a maul. I've been spitting wood for over a quarter century, so have some experience.
IMO, you would be wise to buy a 6 pound maul. Anything heavier will wear you out in a hurry. I have an 8 pound maul, but hardly every use it.
The most important element to splitting wood with a maul is VELOCITY. Practice makes perfect, so get goin'!! :thumbup1:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The most important element to splitting wood with a maul is VELOCITY. Practice makes perfect, so get goin'!! :thumbup1:

You have a point. Those of us who remember their physics courses in high school may recall that kinetic energy equals half the mass times the square of the velocity. Ke=1/2mv*2, which means the the speed of the maul is more important than the mass. Looks to me like that 6-pounder "hits harder" than an 8-pounder.

But ya still gotta put a little beef behind it. :)

O.H.

An update.

So, I made the mistake of going into a rustic furniture store with my lovely bride (actually, I pointed it out: "oooh, that place looks cool!").

Well, she had to have this, even though we already had a very nice solid oak dining table and chairs...an Amish-crafted rustic set with black walnut table and six chairs:

20230907_134205.jpg
20230907_134135.jpg

What does this have to do with a log splitter? No...I didn't turn the old set into firewood, but still need to feed the stove in the second pic...and since she got a new dining room, it was easy for me to justify a new toy...

...so I picked up this:

20230907_134235.jpg

...a compact, 20-ton, gas-powered log splitter, and went to work:

20230907_134303.jpg

My biggest concern with a gas splitter was the size and storage when compared to a typical electric splitter. This one is nearly 3X as powerful as an electric splitter of similar size, and went through this pile (about three face cords) like butter, only groaning occasionally.

Very happy, and I can tuck it in the corner of the shed. 🙂

Last edited:
An update.

So, I made the mistake of going into a rustic furniture store with my lovely bride (actually, I pointed it out: "oooh, that place looks cool!").

Well, she had to have this, even though we already had a very nice solid oak dining table and chairs...an Amish-crafted rustic set with black walnut table and six chairs:

View attachment 1714214View attachment 1714215

What does this have to do with a log splitter? No...I didn't turn the old set into firewood, but still need to feed the stove in the second pic...

...so I picked up this:

View attachment 1714217

...a compact, 20-ton, gas-powered log splitter, and went to work:

View attachment 1714218

My biggest concern with a gas splitter was the size and storage when compared to a typical electric splitter. This one is nearly 3X as powerful as an electric splitter of similar size, and went through this pile (about three face cords) like butter, only groaning occasionally.

Very happy, and I can tuck it in the corner of the shed. 🙂
I guess this answers the eternal question of how much wood would Joe split if Joe would split wood?

Top Bottom