What's new

Loft suggestions for custom 25 mm STF brush (face latherer)

Hey everyone,

I am considering having Rudy Vey make me a brush using the 25 mm Muhle STF knot.

Rudy has posted that he has set the 25 mm knot as low as 50 mm and as high as 58 mm.

I have read that different people have measured the loft of their Muhle STF XL (25 mm) brush and said it was either 57 mm or 58 mm.

I am a face latherer and I like my brushes to have splay.

I know many of you have custom 25 mm STF brushes.

What loft would you suggest in my situation.

Thanks in advance!

I have 2 from Rudy set at 54mm loft. Perfect for me...good backbone and splay but I'm a bowl latherer so not sure how well it would face lather. I believe he normally sets them at around 56mm.

I use mine a lot. It's a regular Muhle, not an RV so I guess it's set around 58mm. For quite a while it had more backbone than I really wanted for face lathering and didn't splay easily at all. It's gotten better with use. Splays a bit better but still not quite the way I like and it still has a lot of backbone. I don't know that I'd go with any less loft on it but that's just me.

I’ve had two of his 25mm STF brushes over the years. One is from almost 10 years ago and the other was made last month. Both have a loft of ~55mm and that height works really well for me when face lathering. Based on how they feel on my face, I don’t see a need for a lower loft. Backbone is ample.

Loft should be 55-58mm depending on how easily you want it to splay.

But my suggestion is minimum of 55mm, not less than that as it takes away from the unique magic of the STF knot!

I have both the Muhle and EJ versions and they have 57mm loft, I find it perfect. Good backbone with nice, natural splay, good tactile feedback/response to pressure.

So many great ideas here! If only there was an adjustable loft brush handle. :lol1:
I looked at the lofts of many of the brushes I have had in the past and most were in the 49-52mm range, some were in the 54-55mm range and at least two were in the 56-57 mm range.

I think for my first STF brush, I will try the 55 mm and see how it goes.

So many great ideas here! If only there was an adjustable loft brush handle. :lol1:
I looked at the lofts of many of the brushes I have had in the past and most were in the 49-52mm range, some were in the 54-55mm range and at least two were in the 56-57 mm range.

I think for my first STF brush, I will try the 55 mm and see how it goes.
My prediction is......you're gonna love it!!

What he said. It really is a great mix of material, knot size, and loft.

What handle and material did you go with @GoodShave ?
Perfect timing!
Rudy finished making the handle today and sent me pictures of the brush. I went with the Lapis resin and he was kind to take a close up so I could see the gold coloring which does not show up well when you take a picture of the entire brush.
IMG_2033.jpg
Here is the picture of the whole brush:
IMG_2034.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Perfect timing!
Rudy finished making the handle today and sent me pictures of the brush. I went with the Lapis resin and he was kind to take a close up so I could see the gold coloring which does not show up well when you take a picture of the entire brush.
View attachment 1446220
Here is the picture of the whole brush:
View attachment 1446222
Absolutely beautiful... such a nice handle.... well done, Rudy.

You were absolutely right!
I shaved with the new brush this evening using Noble Otter 'Bare' soap and it was like lathering with a soft pillow. Not too much splay, just soft lather loveliness.
I liked it better than my Truefitt & Hill 24 mm silvertip badger brush (made by Simpson).
All I can say is WOW!
Glad you like it…..but kinda knew you would…:biggrin1:

Top Bottom