What's new

L'Occitane Plisson Brush may be a limited edition

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It is a shame this brush seems to be going the way of the do-do. I've used mine a few times since receiving it a week and a half or go or so. I don't know that it will be my favorite brush, but I will happily reach for it when I want a softer touch. It also was a fantastic way to get into synthetics. I may have to stop by or call the local store and see if they have any left in a drawer, somewhere.

TL

All the Manhattan stores I've visited have them on sale, and none of the saleswomen (the reps all seem to be female!) has heard anything about discontinuation.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Fear not! You can buy direct from Plisson.

(Oops, did I fail to mention that the ebony handle Plisson is 91€ vs. 31€ for the L'Occitane variant... Wow!)

Were I to do that, then I might be the one going the way of the do-do!

TL

Were I to do that, then I might be the one going the way of the do-do!

TL

Haha, good one!

I actually convinced the wife that I should get the L'Occitane one at weekend because it was such a steal compared to buying from Plisson direct.

For $30, the Plisson was a no brainer. I was on the fence trying to decide between the Muhle and the Plisson; the drop in price made the decision for me.

I ceratinly agree with the price difference but the unused Mühle I bought on the B/S/T wasn't much more than $30 and IMHO it's a lot better brush.

I stopped in the local L'Occitane today, I was going to buy one if they had it in stock. No luck! The sales lady told me she sold their last two about an hour before I got there. I didn't need one, I just figured I'd get one for kicks if it was still available. She said that the Indianapolis location still had a couple if I wanted to call them and buy it over the phone, I didn't need it that bad. :lol: So if anyone does need one, Indy might have two as of about 3 o'clock eastern today. (Sunday)

The clerk also told me that the brush was a limited edition for the holidays and they don't know if it will ever come back. Pity, given its reputation.

Has anyone considered that this may be an elaborate, well executed marketing hoax by L'Occitane. As much attention as this brush gets on this forum, and by the prattling "brush of the gods" Youtuber, why would they discontinue it? But a rumored discontinuation of a popular item, and hoarding tendencies come to light.

Seriously, it's a synthetic. They can always make more, especially if there's demand. Or the next generation will be better, as they all seem to be. No need to stockpile these. The YouTube guy has about a dozen. But then again, his shaving budget seems higher than my mortgage. Personally, I still like an animal to give it's life for my brushes. Albeit, that's might still true with a synthetic, even if the animal is a spotted owl or a harp seal.

Back around father's day I was told this was a father's day special and that it had been discontinued. But then I found they had just changed the labeling around that time (to add L'Occitane).

However, I doubt this has anything to do with a marketing hoax by L'Occitane. They dropped the price almost 50% to get them to move in quantity. That is not unheard of for clearance items. This time it may be gone for real because they have removed the page. Otherwise they would have at least kept the page so people can register to get notified when it's back in stock.

The number of people that use a shaving brush is probably on par with the number of people that drive a manual transmission car, so it's not a very significant market and it's very crowded.

Unrelated to this, I think the B&B annual awards needs to have an award for the best synthetic!

I sent my wife to the local L'occitane here in Puerto Rico, to get me a second Plisson Brush (the original without the L'occitane logo on handle). There were 2 left in the store and she bought me one. Now I have a backup of my favorite brush! I think I will send one of them to make it in acustom handle. Happy Day for sure. One brush left at that store, I might even pick that one up.

Has anyone considered that this may be an elaborate, well executed marketing hoax by L'Occitane. As much attention as this brush gets on this forum, and by the prattling "brush of the gods" Youtuber, why would they discontinue it? But a rumored discontinuation of a popular item, and hoarding tendencies come to light.

Seriously, it's a synthetic. They can always make more, especially if there's demand. Or the next generation will be better, as they all seem to be. No need to stockpile these. The YouTube guy has about a dozen. But then again, his shaving budget seems higher than my mortgage. Personally, I still like an animal to give it's life for my brushes. Albeit, that's might still true with a synthetic, even if the animal is a spotted owl or a harp seal.

I too have wondered what L'Occitane/Plisson's thinking is on this. For me, the Plisson is a terrific knot in an okay handle.

I laughed through my hot chocolate when I read your observation about the "the YouTube Guy" - spot on.

I bought two at Christmas -- one for me, one for my dad. I had the store giftwrap both for Christmas, and as luck would have it, the one I opened didn't have the L'Occitane logo on it. I gave the other one to my Dad along with some RaxorRock La Famiglia. He's never used a brush before (though his father did) and if it doesn't take I may steal it back as a spare.

BTW, around the same time I got a Vie Long horsehair, which is at the opposite pole of shaving brushes -- scrubby as hell. They make a good pair.

What's the youtube guy thing about?

Traditional Shaving Evangelist a/k/a Chris Bailey. He's a prolific YouTube shaving video maker. He's absolutely obsessed with this "brush of the gods." He has to have about a dozen of them, amongst as many others, about $3000 in soaps and aftershaves, another $1000 in double edged razor and a constant seemingly unending influx of new products.

His videos are entertaining. The puppy is cute and he seems like a genuinely good person. But he is enamored with the Plisson to an awkward degree. In case of a house fire, I think the brushes get rescued before the photo albums (on the other hand, can't upload Plissons to the cloud).

Also, according to Maggard, the Grooming Company brush uses the same knot, set deeper, in a better handle. It's not $30, but it's out there if you must have it.
http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/the-grooming-co-synthetic-shaving-brush-green-yellow/

These brushes are not the same in the slightest. They may share the same fibres, but they definitely don't share the same attributes. Personally, I preferred the Plisson.

I couldn't agree more Celestino, if the Grooming Co brush is a shorter loft then this will change the feel and performance of the Plisson/L'Occitane brush, which personally, I am very happy with. In addition, the Plisson/L'Occitane looks like pure class compared to the Grooming Co brush. For me, between the two brushes its a no-brainer!

The UK seems not to be in such trouble over this. Bought one today and in the drawer there were at least 10 of them left. Looking forward to trying the brush later in the week, seems to be high quality.

Top Bottom