What's new

L'Occitane Plisson Brush may be a limited edition

Anyone know what it is that causes these brushes to come apart? Is it due to the wood warping? Is it due to poor quality glue? A combination of the two?

The brush that I have used that has come apart has bumps all around the top, but the rest of the handle looks OK...although when I compare it with a new brush (I bought two), it looks a little "swollen."

The issue here is that people let these brushes soak in hot water as though they were badger hair. They are synthetic fibers, the fibers do not under any circumstances absorb water, however the wood handles do. All wood regardless of how hard or dense, will swell when it absorbs water. Ask anyone who knows anything about wooden boats. Wet wood swells. When you use a synthetic fiber brush get the fibers wet enough to make lather. Add more water to the bristles as needed but don't soak the handles if they're made out of wood. If the handle swells enough the knot will separate or fall out. Send the knot to someone like Rudy to put it into a resin handle and your brush should last literally forever.

Last edited:
For me, soaking was not the issue because I don't soak my brush (in fact, I have never even soaked my badger!). Also being wood, I was careful to always dry the handle before hanging it upside down on the stand for the fibers to dry.

My only hesitation with using Rudy is that I don't like the shapes of any of the handles on his site.

Last edited:
The issue here is that people let these brushes soak in hot water as though they were badger hair. They are synthetic fibers, the fibers do not under any circumstances absorb water, however the wood handles do. All wood regardless of how hard or dense, will swell when it absorbs water. Ask anyone who knows anything about wooden boats. Wet wood swells. When you use a synthetic fiber brush get the fibers wet enough to make lather. Add more water to the bristles as needed but don't soak the handles if they're made out of wood. If the handle swells enough the knot will separate or fall out. Send the knot to someone like Rudy to put it into a resin handle and your brush should last literally forever.

U do mean submerging the handle in water right??

I only have synthetic fiber brushes and only my L'Occitane Plissons have wood handles, my other synthetics (Parker, Omega) have resin handles so I don't have a clue why yours is doing what it's doing. I just ordered a new Kent Infinity (INF1) from Kent Brushes in the UK and again don't look forward to any problems. Have you thought about maybe buying a resin handle from Whipped Dog? Plisson size 12 is 22mm knot. Whipped Dog Resin Handles

Plisson size chart ~ http://blaireauxplisson.com/fr/content/9-guide-des-tailles?content_only=1

Yes, submerging the handle or otherwise soaking it with hot water. Generally not good for wood handles on anything from brushes to screwdrivers.

Wondering if there have been any more Plisson Cade sightings? I scored 3 at an airport Loccitane. There were actually 5 total but the 3 that I bought only had the Plisson logo on the handle (not Loccitane). Gonna put them up on the bay soon. I also noticed the older Just Plisson logo only models seem to have a lighter colored wood with more grain apparent than the newer ones with Loccitane on them.

Congratulations on making it harder for other shavers to get hold of this brush :cursing: and also for driving prices up. :thumbdown

Well done, mate! <- sarcasm intended!

There are a fair number of the L'Occitane Plisson Cade brushes available for sale at any number of L'Occitane retail stores. They're still priced at $30. These are generally located in upscale shopping malls. The trick is to find a store near you that has a stash of these brushes on hand. Calling around may or may not help as these shops are essentially woman's cosmetic outlets and the sales people pay not too much attention to the small percentage of products oriented toward men. YMMV

There are a fair number of the L'Occitane Plisson Cade brushes available for sale at any number of L'Occitane retail stores. They're still priced at $30. These are generally located in upscale shopping malls. The trick is to find a store near you that has a stash of these brushes on hand. Calling around may or may not help as these shops are essentially woman's cosmetic outlets and the sales people pay not too much attention to the small percentage of products oriented toward men. YMMV

If it's your first order, the online stores offer free shipping (at least here).

If anyone is interested in my broken brush (< 3 months of regular use), I would be happy to send it to you gratis. All I ask is that you be someone that intends to use it. The knot has separated from the handle, and the handle has some warping around the top. $IMG_0853.jpg

This looks like an easy re-installation. Rudy Vey said that these are originally held together with some sort of hot melt glue, which is readily available though I think I'd try Gorilla Glue[emoji769]

JB Weld! There is no more manly way to join 2 things together than JB Weld. (unless you use an actual weld, but that only works with the right metals ;)

Seriously though, I would look for a marine epoxy (something designed to handle being wet). Of better yet, ask Rudy!

Congratulations on making it harder for other shavers to get hold of this brush :cursing: and also for driving prices up. :thumbdown

Well done, mate! <- sarcasm intended!

It's called capitalism. What this country is based on. Don't hate for taking advantage of an opportunity to buy low and sell high.

Regarding Gorilla Glue™: from their web site
The product that started it all. Original Gorilla Glue built a name for itself with its incredible, industrial holding power and versatility. Water activated, it expands into materials to form an incredibly strong bond to virtually anything. Gorilla Glue is your solution for almost any project or repair. It’s 100% waterproof, safe for indoor and outdoor use and strong enough to stand up to the elements. Plus, its expansion allows it to penetrate the glued surface for a superior bond. Sand it, paint it, stain it. Simply stated, it’s the Toughest Glue on Planet Earth.
Clamp Time: 1-2 Hours // Open Time: 10-15 Minutes Dry Time: 80% in 1-2 Hours // Dry Color: Light Tan
Full Cure: 24 Hours

In my personal experience Gorilla Glue is an outstanding product. You simply moisten both surfaces to be bonded with a small amount of water, a moist sponge does the trick then apply a small amount of Gorilla Glue . The stuff expands to to a sort of foam to fill gaps. The water/moisture acts as a catalyst. It remains flexible and will bond almost anything to anything else. Wood to metal, wood to a sheet of glass, metal to glass. They also make a Gorilla "Super Glue" product that's even easier to use and bonds almost instantly. I've used it to permanently repair broken legs on my Logitech computer keyboard.

Top Bottom